Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hobbico/Futaba large scale servos - can any handle 7.2v?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hobbico/Futaba large scale servos - can any handle 7.2v?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 AM
sweli
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico/Futaba large scale servos - can any handle 7.2v?

Have a 1:6 Project truck. Has Towerpro MG995 servos for 4wheel steering now. One is already starting to crunch and grind. I can mod my design to handle 1/4 scale servos. I need/want 250+ oz of torque.

Looking at the Hobbico CS-80 (tower TS-80). Or Futaba S3306.

I already have the truck wired for direct 7.2v to the steering servos. MG995 was rated to handle 7.2v.
I had a BEC running 6v3a to them originally, but the BEC was clipping now and then (overload).

I do not have the mad money right now to spend on a nice BEC, so wondering if the Hobbico CS-80 can handle the 7.2v direct?

Also, if you have other servo ideas over 250 oz and under $40, please chime in.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbico/Futaba large scale servos - can any handle 7.2v?

ORIGINAL: sweli Have a 1:6 Project truck. Has Towerpro MG995 servos for 4wheel steering now. One is already starting to crunch and grind. I can mod my design to handle 1/4 scale servos. I need/want 250+ oz of torque. Looking at the Hobbico CS-80 (tower TS-80). Or Futaba S3306. I already have the truck wired for direct 7.2v to the steering servos. MG995 was rated to handle 7.2v. I had a BEC running 6v3a to them originally, but the BEC was clipping now and then (overload). I do not have the mad money right now to spend on a nice BEC, so wondering if the Hobbico CS-80 can handle the 7.2v direct? Also, if you have other servo ideas over 250 oz and under $40, please chime in.
No, with exception of a very few high priced servo designed for use in Robotics. The standard large scale servo may run for a brief period but will quickly burn out.
Servo - Operating Voltage Range - usuage with Lipol & A123 batteries
If running in an EP Car/Truck be aware that few RC with BEC put out emough amps to drive large scale servos properly, best to use a voltage regulator as detailed:
Voltage regulator = BEC 5V & 6V for Boats, cars and airplanes
much more information under sub sections "Servo - alterations, calculators, databases, repairs, convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ." and "Glitches & Jitter in RX & Servo - causes and cures " at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Regards
Alan T.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
sweli
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico/Futaba large scale servos - can any handle 7.2v?

Thanks for the info AlanT.

I was running a Medusa Research model MR-BEC-45035-6 BEC. Output of 3.5a6v. I was running it as a separate circuit, feeding only the two MG995 steering servos. I believe the BEC was 'clipping' (ie. overload protection). I would momentarily loose steering control at times, but it would come back if I stopped trying to steer(?).
I realize this BEC will not be enough to power to 1/4 scale Hobbico CS-80's.

One of your links took me to a page with a link for this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2554151
which discusses running 7.2v to Hobbico servos, but it shortening the life span.

All that said.
I am running a Quark 33 and an 1100kv Hacker. I could stand to crawl a little slower. I think I'll trial running the whole truck on a 5cell Nimh.
This quote from the link above.

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry
That's only the peak voltage when charging... once you put it under load, it drops to about 6.75 or less.
There is no problem with using an unregulated Nicad or NiMh battery with any Hitec servo.
I like the sounds of the Castle BECs, but not that fact that I have to purchase a lousy $25+ prog cord to change the output voltage.

thx again.