Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum dx7 "CRASH"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 AM
robteecoker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum dx7 "CRASH"

Ok it finally happened to me, I crashed my 33% cap. My plane would every once in a while seem to get hit, it would go up and down by it self real fast with no stick movement. It only happened in two spots on the field and high in the air. Well it happened on final and went right in. I was using the 7000 spektrum reciever. My question is, could this reciever been the problem? What will Spektrum do about it?
Thanks Robert
Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: spektrum dx7 "CRASH"

Horizon will sell you another receiver. You noted erratic behavior and didn't check it out thoroughly? That's certainly not Horizon/Spektrums' fault.

I think the AR7000s will accomodate a flight log analyzer now.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

A friend of mine lost a plane with that same reciever in it this weekend. he was turning base for a high-speed pass when the plane stopped responding. I happened to be standing next to him when it happened. He announced that he had no control and continued to try stick movements, but there was zero response.

The plane strained through some trees and was totalled.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: robteecoker
My question is, could this reciever been the problem? What will Spektrum do about it?
If you're flying a 33% plane, I suspect you already know the answer to both of those questions and just need an outlet to vent (which I understand).

Could the receiver has malfunctioned? Sure, just like their 72Mhz cousins, I'm sure the 2.4Ghz systems can and will fail somewhere...sooner or later.

Regarding what Horizon will do about it; if you could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the receiver was the culprit, they might send you a new one. Unfortunately, the postmortem examination of an R/C crash site is usually inconclusive. For example, did it cause the crash or was it damaged as a result of the crash.

I've been using a DX7 for over a year now with absolutely no incidents. About a month ago, I purchased a new X9303. I always like to test new radio gear thoroughly before using it my really nice stuff. The first plane I put on the X9303 was my trusty old UltraStick60. It was one of my last planes on 72Mhz, so I installed an AR7000, setup the radio and headed to the field. During the range check, the plane simply stopped responding. Turned everything off and on a couple times and...nothing. While taking the wing off smoke started to roll out of the fuselage. My throttle servo (HS-425) shorted out inside the case, melting the lower half of the servo. The short also fried the AR7000 and the MPI Miracle Switch. I put a wattsup meter on it when I got home and the short was causing an 18 Amp draw on the system! I bought this servo new around a year ago and this is the only plane it's ever been installed in. It was not abused in any way.

My point with all this is...had that happened in the air, I would have lost total control of the airplane when the receiver died. I guarantee you that everyone (probably even me) would have immediately blamed the new radio or that darned, new-fangled 2.4Ghz technology. Of course the same is true for the 72Mhz stuff. Over the years, there's little doubt that 72Mhz radio gear has been blamed for many more crashes than it caused.

Don't get me wrong, if I was in your position, I'd probably send the receiver and transmitter in to Horizon for a once over...just to be safe. Just don't jump to conclusions too fast.

PS. Sorry about your plane. I hope it's repairable.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
DougV

Ok it finally happened to me, I crashed my 33% cap. My plane would every once in a while seem to get hit, it would go up and down by it self real fast with no stick movement. It only happened in two spots on the field and high in the air. Well it happened on final and went right in. I was using the 7000 spektrum reciever. My question is, could this reciever been the problem? What will Spektrum do about it?
Thanks Robert
Robert,

It can be many things like... the battery, the rx, bad servo, other things can drain the battery real quick.

Can you tell us a little more about your setup? is the AR7000 has the latest firmware update?

Sorry about your plane.

Thanks,
Doug.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
tmaucher

Horizon evidently sends out equipment without thoroughly testing it, and they definately dont seem to care at all. I would suggest getting the futaba system or the airtronic one. Ive sent mine into them and they are definately not in any hurry to fix it. They are however in a big hurry to not accept any blame on the situation. If they do a 180 on me and start to give me some service I will let you know, but I dont think that is going to happen. I should sign this "pissed off in Kansas" Tom
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: tmaucher

Horizon evidently sends out equipment without thoroughly testing it, and they definately dont seem to care at all.
You are kidding right ?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
robteecoker

The batterys are two NOBS 4500'scr on two seperate switches. It was not a voltage problem, these are the biggest batters he makes. The voltage was around 5.60 on each battery. The servos are Hitec dig, one on each elevator. If only one did it the plane would turn, so both servos were operating at the same time, which leads me to the receiver. The transmitter is working fine because I use it on other planes with no problem. So I not jumping to conclusions, I'm getting their through the process of elimination. Any other ideas?
Thanks for all the help!
Robert
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

I read that XPS has a problem with Hitec digital servos. Don't know if Spektrum does too or not.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 PM
tmaucher

Squeeky wheel gets greased. Horizon has fixed my radio at no cost to me, other than 9 bucks in shipping, and is supposedly sending it back to me. Mind you they accept no blame for faulty tx but all is maybe good now. signed "not as pissed off in Kansas" Thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
TxDiveBomber

The batterys are two NOBS 4500'scr on two seperate switches. It was not a voltage problem, these are the biggest batters he makes. The voltage was around 5.60 on each battery. The servos are Hitec dig, one on each elevator. If only one did it the plane would turn, so both servos were operating at the same time, which leads me to the receiver. The transmitter is working fine because I use it on other planes with no problem. So I not jumping to conclusions, I'm getting their through the process of elimination. Any other ideas?
Thanks for all the help!
Robert

Sounds like a set-up problem. I think your receiver and sat receiver were losing signal and locking you out when you got the plane in a certain position in the sky. I went through that with my 33% extra I could fly 10 times in a row with no problems then on the 11 flight I would get the plane in just the right position in the sky and get locked out. I solved it by getting a 36" extension for the sat receiver and mounting it to the top underneath side of the rear turtle deck.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM
astroboycp

I thought 2.4Ghz is supposed to be better than conventional TX but still presents problems.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: tmaucher

Squeeky wheel gets greased.

Sorry, that is SOP with Horizon.
The squeak in YOUR wheel may have irritated them a little but they acted just as they have long been known to act.

You used one cliche' here is another (different slant) "You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Try it, it is well known to work far better than any level of anger.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I bought a $1200 Futaba system and it locked out on the 3rd flight, Futaba said the module was outa tune.
Charged me shipping and I mved on...so whatsit that you expect Horizon to do???
4600mah doesnt mean anything unless you have at least a 1amp load on them.
The newer 7000 are flight log capable which would help you in future setups
Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
nobodytwo

Don't you find it interesting that many of these incidents all happen on "final"? 2.4 is not immune to RF from an electronic ignition, especially if all the electrical components are fairly close together. Assuming that the plane was gas and had electronic ignition, I have found that it's possible for to get glitchs when the engine is only at idle. I lost a 25% YAK due to the fact the my switches, for ignition and battery were side by side. After rekitting the plane and putting the ignition switch by the engine and the battery switches behind the wing trailing edge everything worked just fine.

2.4, JR, Spectrum or Futaba brands are all fine systems! I'm using a 9303 2.4 and DX7 with many, many hours on both, and other than the above problem they have been rock solid!

Happy Landings!