Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 9c conversion to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Pete_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: futaba 9c conversion to 2.4

Lee - check your PMs.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Lee,
Different Pete here, the PITA one
Just my 2 cents. If the TM-7 module was actually a fully functional 8 channel module, do you think Futaba would have taken so much longer to bring the TM-8 to market and frustrated a lot of folks that wanted the TM-8? Why the switch is there beats me, but while I'm not a betting guy, I'd bet a cup a' Joe that if you tried a TM-7 module with the 8 or 14 channel receiver, it would not work. From what I heard at the WRAM show back in Feb., don't be surprised if the TM-7 module shows up as discontinued in the near future
Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Agreed. It is possible that it will in fact work. I have heard some that have had success with it. That said, I'm not sure I will take mine apart to flip the switch and find out.

Note: I manufacture RF products, high volume, low cost devices. There are reasons why manufacturers will sometimes use common hardware on such PCB's to maximize volume and keep costs down. Or to build a common board, that can be programmed to be one device or another later in the manufacturing process, depending upon customer demand for one variant or another. Usually, there are a few other differences between what appear to be similar devices (besides the switch). At my company, we use different firmware in the embedded microprocessors even though they may look physically identical.

As far as anyone having success, it's possible that Futaba never intended to produce a 7 ch module at all. Perhaps the original TM-7 module device was actually intended for 8 channel but included 7/8 switching to be able to use receivers intended for the 7C radio. However, perhaps that one ran into regulatory problems with FCC or CE when in 8 ch mode. The way to recover that cost of built units and get some 2.4 modules to market quickly for the 9C would have been to put those boards into 7 ch mode, and use "7 Ch" housing which hides the switch. This might explain the delayed release of the 8 ch version. Of course, this is completely conjecture on my part. I have no inside info, and don't intend to start rumors.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
pilotpete2

I really have to agree, it sure seems like they hit some kind of snag getting the TM-8 ready for delivery.
I held on until the TM-8 was available, what with 12' of snow this winter, waiting until spring for it to be available was not all that big a deal.
Regards,
Pete
Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
RCAddiction

Picked up a TM-8/R608 combo today. I needed the extra channel so I can do both a choke servo and ignition kill switch on my gas planes. Otherwise the 7 ch was great. Test: I flipped the switch inside my TM-7 and sorry, mine doesn't link with the R608. No worries, the TM-8 works fine with the provided 608, plus the 607 and 617 I already have.

TM-7 will go up for sale shortly. PM me if you are interested.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Mike545

I bought a spektrum 2.4 module, thinking on getting the fasst, ideas?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mike545

I bought a spektrum 2.4 module, thinking on getting the fasst, ideas?
This is how you do it:

1) Go to www.towerhobbies.com

2) Add the TM-8 module to your shopping cart

3) Choose your shipping options and give your credit card information

These are my thoughts on how to get a FASST module.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Mike545

nice
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 AM
RCAddiction

Ok...that was damned funny. You gotta admit Ryan was funny.

Mike...did you have a specific question about going to FASST instead of Spektrum? Your question was kind of vague. One FASST advantage over Spektrum is you can easily switch between the 2.4 and 72 modules if you will be flying both types. They pop in and out in seconds. The Spektrum module installation always looked kind of "kludgey" to me, clamping on the antenna, wire sticking out, etc. Also, you have the easier installation of a single receiver design, not dual receivers like Spektrum. Spektrum had problems with low voltage drop out under load. Futaba has a problem with excessive temps in the cockpit. Both can be avoided. Choose your poison.

If you want an inexpensive module, my TM-7 is available. If you need 8 channels, do what Ryan said and buy a TM-8 from your LHS or Tower, if your LHS doesn't stock them.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Mike545

can you pm me on what you want for the 7, i fly copters, 7 shall be good, thats what im finding out about spektrum, you cant just pop them out, i switch from one to another, dont worry i got a sense of hummor
Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Flyfalcons

I wasn't really sure what info Mike was looking for either. I'm very happy with my 9C FASST conversion and am slowly converting my entire fleet to FASST as I build confidence in the system and as my "hobby budget" allows. I already have receivers in my giant scale gassers.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Mike545

flyfalcons, what do you have 7 or 8?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Flyfalcons

TM-8 in the 9C, TM-14 in the 14MZ, been running the 607, 617, and 608 receivers in various planes.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
mr502go

I was in a similar situation wondering which module to get for my 9C. . .then I thought about it. . . module and receiver are approximately $300. . . maximum of 8 channels. . . no real reduction in latency due to digital to analog back to digital conversion. I could sell the 9C for around $200. . . spend an additonal $50 over what I would have spent (keeping the 9C and getting the upgrade) and get the new 10C which is about 4 times as fast latency wise (rumor has it from people that have tested it, that it's even faster than the 14mz) 22ms latency in the 10C vs 30ms in the 14. . . 90ms on the 9c!! So for an additional $50-$100 you will get a new radio, updated technology, the use of 10 channels. . . a backlit transmitter, it stays digital the whole way through (no conversions back and forth) you can still use the 72 mhz module, and it comes with a R6014 receiver ($200) new tx battery, new Rx battery, new switch and an aileron extension. . . lets not forget a brand new futaba warranty and new long life gimbals. It just didn't make sense to hang on to my old friend the 9C. I LOVE my 10C. Awesome radio, I didn't think I'd notice the difference in speed, but boy was I wrong. I let another gent who's very familiar w/my aircraft fly with it and he noticed an immediate difference too. This guy is the type that gets grass stains on his rudder from inverted flight (really good pilot). I can't say enough good about the radio, and definetely worth the money. Remember the 9C has been discontinued, hence the value will probably drop shortly. Get whatcha can while ya can, you won't be disappointed. . . ohh yeah, all the settings and trim from your 9C roll right into the 10 when you use the campac. Futaba did really well on this one IMO.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Mike545

thanks mr502go
Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 AM
mr502go

No worries bro. . . I like to see everyone flyin right
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Mike545

mr502go, is you call sign in reference to a chevy motor?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
skyhunter357

Hi Pete,
Ware did you get a longer wire to extend the antenna wire if i to the same mod you did on your TM-7?

thank you.

skyhunter357
Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 AM
mr502go

nahhh. . .5-liter Mustangs LOLOL
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Pete K

Hi Pete,
Ware did you get a longer wire to extend the antenna wire if i to the same mod you did on your TM-7?
Here.....

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ac...s_BladeCX.html
Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
cmoulder

I am (or was) a diehard PCM'er until a couple of recent incidents, one of which nearly did in my Aeroworks 50cc Yak. Bad glitch gave me full down elevator (on low rates, thankfully) and I was able to quickly roll inverted to save it. Very solid installation, with about 70 flights on the plane, so not some sort of metal-on-metal issue, although I cannot rule out every possible cause.

Anyway, just ordered the TM-8 module and receiver from Tower.

Just a couple of questions. I am powering the servos straight thru the Rx, and am wondering, is there any reason not to do this with the FASST Rx? I am using 5 Hitec 5955's on control surfaces. Using 2 Fromeco Li-ions (regulated) on 2 separate switches plugged into Rx slots 5 and 7.

On my next model, an Aeroworks 100cc Extra, I plan to use 2 Rx's with the common half-half set-up. Can 2 FASST receivers be used on the same model?

Does FASST have failsafe?

I realize all this has almost certainly been covered elsewhere, but RCU search is horrendous when it comes to refining search results!!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Bob,
Yes, you can use 2 receivers with FASST.[8D]
Six and seven channel FASST receivers have programmable failsafe on throttle only, all other channels are last good input hold.
While the eight channel and up receivers have full failsafe, you cannot program the other channels failsafe settings with a transmitter equipped with a conversion module, only the 10C and 12 and 14 channel rigs with the TM-14 module can program the failsafe settings, other than throttle.
While I'm pretty sure that the power buss in the 8 channel FASST receiver is more than up to the task, I'd ask Bax on the Futaba support forum for an official verdict.
My 60 and 90 sized glow powered models have been solid as a rock on FASST[8D]
Good luck,
Pete
Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
cmoulder

Thanks, Pete, for the reply and sorry for my delay responding.

Okay, I got the TM-8/608 combo and also a 617 Rx.

As you guys know, very straightforward conversion. Been using it in my AW 50cc Yak with zero issues. I checked around quite a lot (mostly on that other EFF-GEE forum) and read that some were using a power panel and some not. I did not, and so far with about 20 flights absolutely no issues. Rock solid link, and I much prefer the Rx linking method compared to that I've seen with my friends with Spektrum. Only issue was when I forgot to change the tiny little switch back over to 8ch after flying with the 7ch mode.

It is going to be a while before I can change out all the receivers on different models (with Rx's at $140 a pop), so I will switch back to 72 mhz.

Which leads to my last question: Is it okay to leave the 72 mhz antenna in the Tx while the 2.4 ghz system is in use?

The Futaba instruction sheet "recommends" removing the 72 mhz antenna, which makes me think it is probably perfectly okay to leave it in the Tx. Futaba is usually extremely conservative in these areas, so if they merely recommend taking it out, it probably isn't necessary. Any experience with this??
Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Bob,
as to the 72Mhz antenna, I just reread the that item on the instruction sheet, my read is that they are saying don't worry it, but we gotta cover our butts
I have mine in all the time as I'm still switching back and forth, when all my planes are converted, it would be nice to remove it and plug the hole with a trim plug, I think I saw mention of them being supposed to be available soon, but then I was told back in Feb. that there would be a version of the parkflyer receiver with standard servo connectors, must be a "plastic" problem.
I just installed a new R617 in my 2M sailplane, that will greatly reduce the time I'm on 72Mhz, as my flights run about a half hour in little to no lift, with 1 hour not being uncommon.
Regards,
Pete
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
cmoulder

Agreed, probably just a Futaba CYA on that one. Interesting that in their ads for the 10C they show it with both antennae installed. I put a piece of blenderm over the hole and it is indeed butt-ugly.

Actually, I should have said I will be occasionally switching back to 72mhz, certainly not switching the planes with the 2.4's in them already. No doubt this is now a very common scenario.

PS... looked at the Futaba website and all the 14- 12- and 10-channel radios still sport the bump for the 72 mhz antenna. I guess it will be a couple of years before they run out of the old cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.