Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Checking Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
darticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Checking Setup

Is there an easy way to test servos? Do you have to connect to a receiver in a plane or can this somehow be done outside a plane? Can you hook a receiver to a battery and the receiver to the servo?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo Checking Setup

There are inexpensive devices you can purchase to test servos without them being connected to a receiver. I can't think of the names off hand, but try a Google search or check Horizon, Tower Hobbies, or any of the companies that make electronic stuff for RC, like ElectroDynamics, for example.

I see these devices at RC trade shows and in magazines, but I have never bought one. I wish, sometimes, I had. Sometimes, they call them Servo Exercisers.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also build your own, any square wave generator that can create a variable positive going pulse 1.5 to 3 milliseconds in duration every 20 to 50 milliseconds. An LM555 is easy to configure to that state. Perhaps you will even find a schematic for it at http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/gadgets.htm
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
PJ_TankPilot

ORIGINAL: darticus
Can you hook a receiver to a battery and the receiver to the servo?
Yes, you can just plug a battery into a receiver and one or more servos. Then use your transmitter to move the servos. However, there is a much better way.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPA915]Click here[/link] to see what I use to setup and test servos.

One of my better investments.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
darticus

Thanks PJ_TankPilot for the info.
I have some servos that do some erratic twitching or chattering. Sometimes I want to just toss them. It seems like you can get them to be ok again by taking them apart and looking inside and tring to work them a little. This tester would allow me to put them on it and see if its working rather than putting back in a plane and testing.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
PJ_TankPilot

If you get the MatchMaker, it is designed for the universal servo plug. Servos with the Futaba J plug will not plug into it.

An easy way circumvent the problem is to get a Futaba J servo extension and remove the J tab from the male plug.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
darticus

Thanks
Will keep that in mind. Ron
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MPI sells Universal servo extensions that will work with Futaba, JR, and Hitec. I have carved off the tab on Futaba J extensions, but you also have to bevel the edges of the connector or it will push in hard and be difficult to remove.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

This works great. http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-203/index.shtml