RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Beginner, Futaba 6xaps? + other ?

Old 03-13-2002, 03:27 PM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Beginner, Futaba 6xaps? + other ?

Hello,
I am just starting out and looking for a good versital radio that I can use for all my future planes and possibly heli. It seems that the Futaba 6XAPS does this very well, it seems to have the popular funtions for both. Although the rachet in the trottle would not make it a ideal heli radio, saving $250 makes up for it. Is there another brand radio that does the same but is cheaper/better for $240 or less?

I did a search and cant find any topics on it, but I could find topics on the 6XAS, is it because the 6XAPS is new? possibly the new version of the 6XAS?... that would make sense anyway.

Other questions:
What would you need more that 6 channels for? 1. throttle 2. ailerons 3. rudder 4. elevator 5. flaps 6. retracts 7. Weapon pods? I just don't know where the other channels would be used.

Question that has been killing me... that I cant seem to find an answer to.... Why do most radios come with a receiver that has one more channel on it that the radio???? This seems... really dumb :stupid:,to put it politely. I'm am sure there is a very good reason for this and is so apparent that it is not even brought up... but I'll be darn if I can figure it out.

Can you use a 6 channel radio with a 3 channel reciever?

Anwers/response would be truely apperciated!
Jeremy :drowning:

==================================
Planing on buying:
Futaba 6XAPS + 2 hs55 servos
Viper Twin, delta wing, electric: www.jetsetairplanes.com/
Dymond Super Turbo Charger: www.rc-dymond.com/

Future planes?
Ripmas Aleinator Swept Wing:
electic heli?
Old 03-13-2002, 03:43 PM
DeadMeat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a T6XAS as my first radio. I must say I am pretty happy with it. It takes a little bit of effort to learn to program it. I carry my manual around all the time. But it has more functions than you can shake a stick at.

As far as channels go. I wish it had 7.

1. throttle 2. ailerons 3. rudder 4. elevator 5. dedicated to landing gear 6. Either flaps or aileron for plaperon setup. 7. ??? I would like to have flaps and flaperons for some really sloooow flying.

Tom
Old 03-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default T6XAS

This is my 1st Tx and I'm very satisfied. Agree it takes some time to learn the programming. I too took the book to the field if I thought I'd be playing with it. You can remove the rachet on the throttle if you want. Pete
Old 03-14-2002, 12:31 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The differences

There is no difference between a 6XAS and 6XAPS transmitter.
The model number is different bacause the AS comes with a PPM receiver (127DF 7ch) and the APS has a PCM receiver (138DP 8CH)

The 6X heli models are the same transmitter as well. All of the software inside is identical. The only difference on the outside is the swich labeling. The heli packages do have a higher capacity RX batt (600 vs 1000 mah) and differerent servos. (300X vs S148/S3001.

If you want to get rid of the throttle rachet, that is easy to do yourself.

Yes you can use a 3ch receiver with a 6 ch radio.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2002, 01:43 AM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the responses. No one made mention of a better cheaper radio so I'm going to order this one right now!

Anyone want to try to tackle the question about the popularity of selling a radio/receiver package with the receiver having more channels than the radio? This doesn't make sense unless you can use the extra channels some how......

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2002, 03:39 AM
funfly2005

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do ya'll know how much it would be for just the 6XA radio? Nothing but the radio?

Thanks Alot
JIM
Old 03-14-2002, 03:50 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by RabidDragon
Thank you for the responses. No one made mention of a better cheaper radio so I'm going to order this one right now!

Anyone want to try to tackle the question about the popularity of selling a radio/receiver package with the receiver having more channels than the radio? This doesn't make sense unless you can use the extra channels some how......

Thanks!
Futaba made a 7UA series first, and used the 9 channel pcm and 7 channle fm receivers. they continued the 7UA's, until the 8UA's came out. They just kept the 7 channel receivers, when they came out with the more affordable 6X series...

It's economics - why develop a 6 channel receiver, when the 7 works perfectly well? I still use the 7's as well as the 9's on my 8UA.

The same thing about the 129 receivers, it was originally for the 9 channel VA series, and a lot use it for the 8UA's...now they have an 8 channel pcm, the 148DP (I think it is), which is smaller than the R138DP, and also $25 more! At least, I think that's the way it goes...

The 6XA/H is an excellent first computer radio, in my book.

Oh yeah, it's better to have a receiver with one more channel than the radio, than one less!!
Old 03-14-2002, 07:47 AM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OH, that... err... explains....it

Why do I have this sudden urge to debate what came first..... the chicken or the egg? :spinnyeye

I understand I was just thinking/hoping there was a better reason that that
Old 03-14-2002, 03:24 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You don't want a 6XA or H for use with a heli. They've only got a 3 point pitch curve. Most heli fliers use a 5 point curve. The 6X also lacks a timer/stop watch.

The Airtronics RD6000 has these features, and is subjectively much easier to use.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:29 PM
rcav8or

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Maybe this reason works??

OH, that... err... explains....it

I understand I was just thinking/hoping there was a better reason that that
A better reason than keeping costs down?!?

How about the extra channel is there, so you can put a Voltwatch on your plane, without using up one of your control channels?

Works for me!
Old 03-14-2002, 04:19 PM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

5 point pitch curve? as I have not done much on the way of studying up on the actual control features of heli yet I do not know what you mean/what this does. Keep in mind I would be getting a simple electric heli. It will be a number of years (or decade or two) before I can afford a fancy $1000 heli/toy that could potentially be totalled out on a single flight. I have a couple of young kids that have a really annoying habit of whining about eating and stuff

A voltwatch ... I didn't know that something like this existed, how easily can you read it in flight, color coded I assume. This could be a very nice feature expecially since I plan on flying electric for now (around the house).

Thanks for the help and suggestions
Old 03-14-2002, 05:07 PM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An easy explanation is that with a heli you don't want your throttle and pitch to move linearly as you move the stick. The points on the curve are used to set the positions of the throttle and collective relative to the stick position.

A 6X has programable points only at the bottom, middle, and top stick positions. With 5 points, you add an intermediate at the mid points. This can 'soften' a hover zone, making it easier to get the basics down. Later on, it provides you with many more options for aerobatics.

Futaba products are largely the meat and potatoes of RC. Plain, basic fare that will suffice if you can't get anything else. Better features and quality can be found for similar prices. To a degree, Futaba markets its products on the strength of its name and distribution channel rather on the strength of the products.

That's not to say they make bad stuff. It's just that their competitors tend to make better stuff, IMO. It's not always the case. I use Futaba gyros and some servos. Their high-end gear is very good.

Don't overlook the timer/stopwatch feature that the 6X doesn't have. The timer is great for being reminded that you'll run out of fuel in a minute, and had best land. That's primarily for glo. For electric, the stopwatch is an awsome tool. It gives you quantitive information about how different charging or propellor usages affect your flight times. It can help you identify ways to make your airplanes perform better.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:07 PM
rcav8or

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A voltwatch ... I didn't know that something like this existed, how easily can you read it in flight, color coded I assume. This could be a very nice feature expecially since I plan on flying electric for now (around the house).

Thanks for the help and suggestions
It's quite easy to see...I have one on my Rappy, on the left side boom, and you can see it from 30 feet away - yes, it's color coded - green good, red bad..yellow, check it!

I have even seen planes with it, and you can see them quite a ways away, also....the led's are quite bright!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:26 PM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mikel,
what you are describing sounds to me what expo does, which this radio has, is the expo a 3 point? is that it? *sigh* ignorance is NOT bliss

not trying to argue, just trying to understand. I got this radio with the idea that it would be a well rounded one, one that I could use on a variety of different models. As I am just starting out I don't plan on needing a radio that has the functions for a fancy move (it'll be more like, "please don't crash, Please, please.... oh, oohh, OH ****!!! ....". After being in the field more, learning which models I prefer I'm sure I will get a more specific radio.

As far as a stopwatch... I have one already, its on my arm
Old 03-14-2002, 08:44 PM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's sort of like expo, in the sense that you can use it to increase or decrease the sensitivity around the center of the stick. It goes beyond that though. With a heli you're assigning two channels (throttle and pitch) to the same stick. The pitch curve is used to match the pitch and throttle positions together, producing a uniform rotor headspeed through out the stick movement. That's one of the uses, anyway.

If you've already got the 6X, by all means use it. You'll not outgrow it for some time. One thing I can recommend is picking up one of those little car dashboard clocks that mounts with sticky tape. You could stick that right on the transmitter face. I used to use my wristwatch too, but I found it easier to just have the radio beep at me when it's time to land.

On the other hand, I've got a buddy who never knows how long he's up. Somehow he always manages to get it back down with just a bit of fuel left. He varies his flying style a lot, too. I don't know how he does it.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:08 AM
davef

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where do all those channels go?

I always wondered when I started where all those channels would go. I'm currently using a JR 3810 tranny (8 channel) and have none spare on my Jet. Heres where they all went......
1 rudder
2 aileron
3 elevator
4 throttle
5 retracts
6 air brake
7 wheel brakes
8 nose wheel steering (trimmable offset, uses own channel)
The # above does not mean channel number, I just couldnt be bothered to look them all up

It's the first time I used all those channels, and the JR reciever is a 9 channel one, so the 9th socket was used by the RX battery status monitor.

Either i'm fully expanded or very effiecent?

I couldnt believe it, as my helis only use 6 channels, and here is a fixed wing trainer using the lot!

Chow
Old 03-22-2002, 03:49 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default funfly2005, you need a need a 6xas?

need a t6xas?

I have a 6xas for sale on channel 57. It was new in September last year, about 15-20 flights on it, charged the battery about 4 times. Still has the plastic covering on the lower front of the transmitter face. I just bought an airplane that needs 8 channels so, this one is for sale. I'll sell it for a hundred bucks. you'll get the transmitter and TX x-tal, charger, red flag, freq display, neck strap, manual, and the original box.

Let me know,
WOOD
Old 03-22-2002, 09:38 PM
RabidDragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the offer Wood but I already bought the t6XAPS from Tower. I'm now waiting for it to arive. It is due any day now. I have everything ready to go.... if only I had the radio!!

**looks out window, "Where is that dam mailman?"**

*sigh*

RabidDragon
Old 07-15-2003, 04:32 AM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the 6xas radio about a year ago before they offered the pcm in the package(already had a pcm reciever just pressed a button and bam in pcm mode, it can change from pcm to ppm in because my gas planes fly pcm and my park fliers and wings fly ppm) you'll love the radio. I personally think its ez to program once you get the hang of the radio. Very good, never had a glitch, ablsolutey great! I think it can hold 7 models on its memory? Have fun!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:21 PM
maximumgravity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It has been a while, but I recall being able to use a combination of Expo and the three point curve to get pretty adequate results with the 6X. I recall it being adequate enough to learn basic inverted hovering. It has been a few years, and I may be confusing radios, but I seem to recall this to be the case.

As for necessity of a computer radio - it indeed make it easier, but I learned to fly a heli with an older futaba with manual pot adjustments. This provided adequate enough capabilities to get me in the air, hovering and learning to do basic aerobatics. If I had a choice, I would start with the most radio I could afford - but I have to say that the 6X would be more than adequate - although not the best, still a great all around choice.

Just my .02 cents.