Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 608FS reciever locout/failure due to heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 608FS reciever locout/failure due to heat

ORIGINAL: sfsjkid

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Craig,

With a gasser I insist on having an optical ignition cutoff just for this sort of "runaway" and would have saved the day in this case. When I'm real good I'll also put a return spring with a digital servo which cuts the throttle even with no power applied. Also, under no circumstances will I allow a clear canopy over my radio compartment which I feel is a great green house to produce extreme temperatures under the sun. As others have commented, details on the actual "failure" are rather sparse but just wanted to comment that there were additional measures that could have been taken.
Since nothing was responding the opticle cuttoff did not work. The reciever had failed nothing would work. Untill the temp went to 125 to 130 degrees then everything started working again.

You're correct, the optical cutoff shouldn't have worked under those conditions and therefore ignition would be cutoff too. No signal=no ignition.

See, http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=375

Since Craig seemed to have missed this (ie my last comment), I'm going to "bump" this just once. Thanks for your understanding.
You would think so but when you get the red light you loose all control but the servos still have votage on them so the cutoff would not cutoff. He uses the fiber optic ignition kill not sure which one.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dick like i said go to the other website and see for youself.

The fuse was intact and we could duplicate the problem on the ground by putting the canopy on the plane and turning the reciever on. It would take about 2 min. to go to the red state on the reciever. Take off the canopy and cover the reciever with a towel and 3to 5 min. later regain control.

My friend read all these posts and said he could not believe what was being said. He did call Futaba today and they told him to send in his reciever and module, but they do not know of any problems.
If Futaba did indeed say they did not know of any problems that would be an
outright lie this subject has been on various forums for many months and
Futaba is very much aware of it. Also your friends radio is not the first one
that has been sent to Futaba because of heat issues.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
sfsjkid

You would think so but when you get the red light you loose all control but the servos still have votage on them so the cutoff would not cutoff. He uses the fiber optic ignition kill not sure which one.
Craig,

Its not a question of voltage, the cutoff senses the signal line. It would cutoff if the TX was off for example. When does your friend return? Did he actually have an optical cutoff? Right now the clues you given us say that when the red light on the RX goes on, it sends weird signals to the throttle servo to cause full throttle, yet it sends the proper and normal signals to the cutoff for normal operation.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
craigteffe

I think he is gone for a week. He did have a cutoff and i know that it was a fiberoptic but i do not know which one.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me guess.........no one from Hobbico has done anything to help you right?

this issue just cost me a plane that i have been enjoying from the very start getting back into RC.......as a matter of fact, it was the very plane that got me lookin into RC again, not to mention my first build after my 15 year layoff....................Thx a lot Futaba
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: summerwind

also, i have performed some testing of what would be barely tolerable on my 608's and 6014 that came with my 12Z........no problems so far.
i need to make things a bit clearer for you all...........i never said what kind of test i did, but it wasn't anything different than what others have claimed when making their test to make sure things work right.........by "barely tolerable" i meant that as in the temp was hot enough that no one in their right mind would be flying RC let alone hang out in the heat for very long...................

Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Futaba is turning into a joke! I've never had a radio fail for 15 some years, all with futaba gear. But that's because I've always taken care of my installations, equipment and supporting gear. Futaba has failed to supply reliable gear the last few years. It's people like me that keep giving them the benefit of a doubt that are to blame...they should be out of business! When I bought a 14MZ, the old 72 receivers couldn't be used in certain aircraft because of noise problems... like gas, helicopters, jets bla bla bla. But it was ok to use a 2K radio in a glow trainer. Give me a break. Now the new receivers pooch at moderate temp? Not to mention problems with other brands of servos. So to fix the servo problem we need to spend a few hundred on power expanders and such. Hey, maybe someone will start selling active cooling systems for 14mz receivers. Oh well, after all that shafting of it's loyal customers, I'm sure Futaba will get what's coming. Too bad I've got a pile of 14ch fasst receivers : (

Shaun
Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Shaun I have a 14mzh with 72 and 2.4 I can say that I've not had a moments issue on either freq. So I'll be happy to take your 2.4 receivers
Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Shaun I have a 14mzh with 72 and 2.4 I can say that I've not had a moments issue on either freq. So I'll be happy to take your 2.4 receivers
Same here with a 14MZ and 10C, FASST and 72mhz. I have used my oldest 72mhz receivers (129DP) with both transmitters and they work perfectly. Same with my gaggle of servos, some of the digitals are four years old and work just fine with the 6014 FASST receivers.

I must be doing something wrong!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: BobH

Hope I have the same luck lol! To give credit to the system, I've got probably a 100 flights on a 8ch 2.4 receiver without a glitch. I'm just a little concerned with recent reports of failure. The old 9chZAP worked flawless as did previous top of the line radios from Futaba. With jets or 100cc plus aircraft, there's no room for errors. Most reports of radio failures in the past were usually pilot error lol! Anyway, I'm not taking any chances. I'll be painting my 100cc YAK's silver and cutting a good size vent in my turbine canopy (as it's black) : )

Shaun
Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
summerwind

just got back from flying electric today.....7 flights on a Reactor Bipe guided with my 12Z/R606.........not one problem and it was near 100 degrees on the last 3 flights.........
Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM
craigteffe

Guys,
I started this thread to warn people of problems with the futaba receivers. If you still want to use them you do so at the risk of loosing you aircraft. My thoughts are this if you throughly test your receivers under high temp settings and all goes good I think you would be ok. But I will not take the unnecessary risk.

This thread was not intended to bash but to get the information out there and discuss it, ask Summerwind what he thinks about all this mess.

If you want to post here fine do so but please do not question my motives, if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say then don't post!!!!! Don't waste my time or those that have subscribed here.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I hope you have better luck in the future with your 608 receivers. This weekend, I just added 16 more flights with 2 608 receivers installed in 2 turbine powered models, and the performance has been excellent (knock on balsa wood! [8D] )

Since we fly in 90 deg F + weather in central TX, I have decided to keep on hand a small temp measurement device, to check temps on occasion. It shouldn't be necessary, but it is a cheap quick check to see if the receiver might be getting pushed with temperature. I have not run across a case where the receiver casing temp was more than 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient. I'm not an electronics hardware guy, but could certainly understand how some electrical items in a batch could be less tolerant than others...
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
summerwind

i trust all my Fasst Rx's, and i had full faith in the 6014......call it "my luck" i guess though, it failed.
funny thing is, when i bought the 12Z the first thing on my mind was to sell the 6014 and buy another 608...............
Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as a precaution, I will mount my new 6014 where it is shaded by heat reflective material and make little ducts to ensure good air-flow around it, so it is air cooled like the engine (LOL).

Just a side note. I have had some manufactures regulators fail, causing similar problems as described, so quit using their regulators and went back to batteries without so much complex electrical hardware, that could fail. I just purchased a new 10C and two 6014 receivers and am tempted to temperature test these in the model with thermometer and heat lamp or heat gun to make sure, my receivers don't have the same heat sensitive components.

It would really have been nice to see a picture of the installation, with all the components listed, so we could all appreciate things to avoid in our endeavor to upgrade from good old reliable 72 PCM (with all it's ignition possible failures) to something that is advertised as nearly bullet proof and reliable!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 PM
mikeboyd

Guys,
I started this thread to warn people of problems with the futaba receivers. If you still want to use them you do so at the risk of loosing you aircraft. My thoughts are this if you throughly test your receivers under high temp settings and all goes good I think you would be ok. But I will not take the unnecessary risk.

This thread was not intended to bash but to get the information out there and discuss it, ask Summerwind what he thinks about all this mess.

If you want to post here fine do so but please do not question my motives, if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say then don't post!!!!! Don't waste my time or those that have subscribed here.
What was the prognosis from Futaba, when you returned your defective receiver back to the manufacturer?? We are all really curious how Futaba responded to you. I had a major radio problem on my old 9C from them a year ago, after they had made some repairs, they made good on the follow up repairs at no charge and a nice apology. I wonder if they will still be so kind in this situation.

Thanks for all the info so far, could we get a list of your components and maybe some good pictures of the installation, like Summerwind did on his post of the 308 failure on his Skybolt.

Look forward to you positive, accurate information, soon, since I may have wasted money buying some of these units already. (before seeing this thread)

Mike Boyd
AMA 7197
Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 PM
craigteffe

The reciever and module was sent into futaba and they would not say what the problem was, we already knew what the problem was.

They offered to replace the module and reciever but my friend wanted none of that so they refunded his money. HE called back and talked with the people at hobico and explained that he had lost his comp arf yak because of this problem and wanted them to replace it. After many phone calls and working his way up the ladder they told him to pick out any airframe from the tower book he wanted and he picked the big Extra and asked them to give him a new PCM reciever and they did he has it sold here and is going to purchase another comp arf Yak.

If you have the Futaba Fast system be warned. My friend had flown his plane several times before this happened.

HE had the reciever under the canopy in the same place his PCM was, on a Smart Fly Power expander.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
mikeboyd

Thanks Craig, you may want to post the info. It was actually more than JR did for a friend of mine with he lost a 40% $10,000+ Comp Yak due to lock out on a 10X PCM.

Appreciate the quick reply in extra info,

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
craigteffe

Just an update I have about 30 to 40 flights on my new 9303 2.4 with no problems what so ever. When Jr had the issue with wire chafing they admitted it and had the fix out for it or you could send it in.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
sevans16

I posted my full details in other threads with pics of my $10k worth of Futaba stuff. I was in denial all summer, my luck ran out sept 28(98-100 degrees that day). My 6014 failed 6mins into a flight on my AW 75cc Extra. I had a full Smart-Fly set up. The opt kill worked. Engine shut down and I watched my plane die a slow death from level flight. I am thinking 12x, I don't like it as well as my 12Z but not sure what to do with it! Not happy about the way things are being handled! Any loyalist still in denial? I have start to list my nib gear in the rcu classifieds!! I have flown Futaba 21yrs and believe they have the best radios!! Maybe I should keep my 12z to fly my -7ch glows and electrics?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40724.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1044909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16273.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1044910  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
craigteffe

Only if your want to chance loosing them to!!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
pilotpete2

Put an R617 FASST against an AR7000 without quick connect and see who crashes first
using the X9303 wire chaffing problem in comparison to Futabas handling of the temperature issue is ridiculous, if you want to make comparisons, then look back to the early introduction of the DX7 and the brownout problem.
Pete
Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: mikeboyd

Thanks Craig, you may want to post the info. It was actually more than JR did for a friend of mine with he lost a 40% $10,000+ Comp Yak due to lock out on a 10X PCM.

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
Surprised folks aren't hopping all over this one too. Guess they are too transfixed on raping Futaba and the Hobbico folks to notice JR 2.4 can malfunction too.

Was there any determination for the cause of the lockout?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: mikeboyd

Happy Landings,
Mike Boyd
Surprised folks aren't hopping all over this one too. Guess they are too transfixed on raping Futaba and the Hobbico folks to notice JR 2.4 can malfunction too.

Was there any determination for the cause of the lockout?
Does it not say PCM?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Dick T.

Sure does, my error.

However it doesn't change the argument about a malfunction causing a crash and where blame is levied. If there can be so much concern about Futaba's 2.4 position, why not equal concern about 72mhz by any manufacturer.

Frankly folks we risk a crash for a myriad of reasons every time our models leave the ground. Blaming the manufacturer and expecting them to bend their knee because of our tears is pure folly. 2.4ghz is new technology to our hobby and will have teething issues. To date manufacturers have addressed and corrected every genuine defect and have looked into complaints raised here and abroad. A lot of web wailing, speculation and posturing makes the writers feel good but does little else once the manufacturer determines there isn't a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.