Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

strange things a-happenin'

Old 08-21-2002, 02:53 AM
Oberfeldwebel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange things a-happenin'

Built and finished a old GP Cap21. I installed a servo on each aileron. I took the plane out and flew it successfully several times.
Then one day when I turned on the radio, the ailerons went to almost full deflection. I thought that's weird, so I took the bird home and replaced the rx with another one I had as a spare.
The ailerons responded normally. After several more flights with the "new" rx the ailerons responded by again going over to full deflection. A check of the rx & tx batteries showed nothing wrong there, as they both stayed in the green on the ESV. It's an Airtronics Radiant, that I have had for a few years, purchased new so I know the history. I did have the lithium battery replaced a year, at most 2 yrs ago. Any thoughts, other than the usual greblims or gnomes, out there???
Old 08-21-2002, 01:36 PM
mulligan

Do you use a "Y"? If so, make a quick check by switching elevator and aileron leads. If the elevator malfuntions in channel 1, the problem is in your radio; send it in for inspection/repair. If both aileron servos still deflect on channel 2, then it is probably a bad "Y" connection- try connecting each servo by itself without the "Y" to isolate the Y-harness.

- George
Old 08-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of servos are you using? This seems to be the failure mode (at least my experience) of Hitec servos.

Vince
Old 08-22-2002, 12:53 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please pardon my dumb question but is it possible that there is a flapperon switch somewhere that is being activated--and please don't ask why I think this may be possible--(boy, did I feel stupid)
Old 08-22-2002, 02:26 AM
Oberfeldwebel

Thanks for the input, guys
AJ, I don't think so as I had never setup this radio for anything but regular control functions. The main reason for buying the radio was the 3 model memory but the rest of the bells & whisles.
Vince, I personally have never had a Hitec servo fail this way and it would seem that both would have to fail for the condition I experienced.
George, switching the elevator to the aileron channel did not affect the elevator. I will try another Y harness

Don't ya luv it when stuff like this happens, kinda makes ya wanna take up trains or somethin' else..just kidding of course..
RC flying RULES!!!
One thing I tell newbies "it something bad can happen, sooner or later, it will"
Old 08-22-2002, 02:46 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Trouble

"Sounds like something terribly awful or something awfully terrible". .....I think you will find the problem to be the Y harness.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:16 PM
mulligan

If replacing the Y doesn't help, plug each aileron servo (one at a time) into the receiver without the Y. Vince has a good point. If one servo or its lead is shorting the signal, then that would explain why both servos act the same (they're both reacting to the same corrupted signal).

Just fishing, but hopefully you'll find it.

- George
Old 08-22-2002, 01:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a Radiant. Have you taken the Tx battery out to charge? I lost a plane because I took the battery out to charge and did not notice that the servo had reversed so the alieron was back wards. Left was right and right was left.

Dru.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:45 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a Radiant. Have you taken the Tx battery out to charge? I lost a plane because I took the battery out to charge and did not notice that the servo had reversed so the alieron was back wards. Left was right and right was left.

Did you check to see if you had the correct model on the screen? I have done that one too.

Dru.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:35 AM
mrorv
My Feedback: (1)

Had the same problem with servos not doing what they should and traced the problem to a bad servo extension in one side of the wing, a 12 incher. Thats my guess or like the other gent said the Y harness. An off brand bought at rc swap meet. I got lucky. I didn't lose the plane, but came close.