RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

what computer radio to buy

Old 05-15-2003, 02:16 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what computer radio to buy

ok ..I re entered the hobby..have a futaba non computer radio..nowww I am wanting to plunge into pc radios..I was going to buy the futaba 6x series..then got turned on by the cap 9 channel stuff..looks like a easy program..then comes the brand ..hitec??price is good.!! and I eventually want to fly 120 cc class or maybe 1.80 sized planes..will the 6 channel be more than enough??help I am confused..
Old 05-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 6 channel will work, but doesn't support mixing for twin elevator servos. The Hitec won't either. You could run a Y-harness for your elevator servos on larger planes but it is really, really nice to be able to adjust your elevator travels electronically. In addition, you may outgrow the mixing capabilities of the 6 and 7 channel radios. I bought a 6XAS last summer, and ended up replacing it with a 9CAP last Winter. I wish I had just bought the 9C to begin with. It's a great radio!
Old 05-15-2003, 01:36 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I spent some time with a 6x radio. I was leaning toward a 6xas, but decided on the 9C because of its extended abilities with the big stuff.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:47 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would look seriously at the 9C. It is the best radio I have ever used. It isn't as much as the 9Z but that has way more than you would ever use. The 9C is a great radio and will do anything most pilots require. It is easy to program and great to use. You would not be dissapointed, but then I am biased toward it. I have been flying mostly futaba for over 27 years. Any more, I won't fly anything else.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:37 PM
rorywquin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look at the Multiplex Royal EVo 9 or the 12 channel - the nine channle should do everything you need and is the EVO most flexible system available other than the Profi 4000 - which is unbeatable!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:17 PM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Take this with a pinch of salt....

The Multiplex guys would have you believe that you can fly three planes at once while the radio brews you a nice cup of tea in time for the landing(s)....

The Futaba 9c is a nice radio, but mind you don't crash your plane while you wonder which black plastic knob you assigned the flaps to... and don't drop it, that shiny plastic case would probably shatter into a million pieces on hitting the deck

Me? I'd stick with a JR, it has a quality feel and does exactly what it says on the box....
Old 05-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Dougboiler91
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both the Futaba 6xa, and the 9c. Been using Futaba exclusively for 15 years. Flew the 6xa until getting in 1/4 scale recently. Picked up my 9c a few weeks ago. Man, what a radio! Don't get me wrong, I used my 6xa successfully for 4 years, but the additional programming on the 9c is awesome. Very user friendly. I plan to keep my 6xa with the 40 and 60 stuff. It's a great intermediate radio, but the IMAC planes I've recently acquired will be getting the 9c. Good luck with your decision.

Doug
Old 05-15-2003, 03:51 PM
cwesh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dropping a 9C on a cement floor will NOT shatter the case! Guess how I know!

But such a fall will break a top switch! especially when it lands on one!

I have both a 6xas and a 9c. Get the 9C, you won't regret it. (and I still use my 6xas!)

Later!
Old 05-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It might pay you to check out the Hitec Eclipse with the Spectra module. A really great radio that will handle most of your radio requirements and the price is right.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:45 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Take this with a pinch of salt....

Originally posted by tiggerinva
The Multiplex guys would have you believe that you can fly three planes at once while the radio brews you a nice cup of tea in time for the landing(s)....
And all the overseas pilots don't seem to realize that Multiplex equipment in North America is double to quadruple the price of it's competitors. Perhaps that will change now that Hitec bought it.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:04 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Futaba 9c is a nice radio, but mind you don't crash your plane while you wonder which black plastic knob you assigned the flaps to... and don't drop it, that shiny plastic case would probably shatter into a million pieces on hitting the deck

Me? I'd stick with a JR, it has a quality feel and does exactly what it says on the box....
And people tell me I speak too highly of Futaba. Just what does it say on the box?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:30 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The export sets make coffee to suit the USA market.

H
Old 05-15-2003, 06:42 PM
JohnMac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tiggerinva
[B]The Multiplex guys would have you believe that you can fly three planes at once while the radio brews you a nice cup of tea in time for the landing(s)....

Tiggervina,
Are you suggesting that the Royal Evo won't do these things?
Version 2 will do chicken soup for the winter days as well!
Seriously though all the radios mentioned will do the job with capacity to spare.
Regards,

John.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Re: Take this with a pinch of salt....

Originally posted by HarryC

H

Coffee Ugh, So where can I get a tea version? Cowboys sometimes drink tea too!

And while we are waiting for the brew in the meantime an inexpensive Eclipse or Seeker will do an important something that none of the above will do for less than around 1400 smackers, but I,ll never tell.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 07:19 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I prefer the mountain dew or coke slurpees that my 9C serves while flying.

Good thing I didn't get the other. I can't stand coffee or tea. :tired:
Old 05-15-2003, 09:12 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9c gets it!

thanks for the avice guys..I was leaning toward the 9c only because no matter what direction my ablities and interests takes me the the 9c will always be able to handle it..and I will use my 6da to sport planes 60 size and down..

when I was in my prime I used to fly all kraft and proline competition radios and theres no reason to shortchange myself now..and I would be a hypocrite to get anything less given the choices I have bought with my golf clubs..I believe you get what you pay for..and I dont knock jr as a matter of fact I think they are quality stuff but since i havem weaned myself on futaba I am going to stay with them just because its easy to get parts etc in this area..

damn this a good hobby isn't ..?? my wife quilts and her new toy sewing machine costs 5000 soooooooooooo I dont think a 9c is breaking the bank lol....
Old 05-15-2003, 10:26 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At those prices, it better be suitable for NASA.

John - since Winnipeg is the slurpee capital of the world, I'm trying to figure out the correct mix rates on my Tracker / Seeker to make Slurpees at the field... Any suggestions?

Maybe with a weedeater converted into a blender, actuated by the Seeker... I could put the "pulse" function on one of my spare channels
Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 AM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got done programming the elevon functions on my 9C for an old flying wing. Man, you gotta love that radio! It makes it so easy.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:58 AM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Just what does it say on the box?
Mine has a sticker on it that says:

"Warning! This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm".

My three kids look fine to me...
Old 05-16-2003, 06:51 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would hate to live in California. Everything you buy now says it is known to give you cancer in California. Before long those political prats will have to label bottles of water with "danger, this substance is known to the state of California to be able to cause drowning", and the air will have to contain a label saying "warning, oxygen is known to state of Californa to be highly toxic in higher concentrations". How about "warning, being alive is known to the state of California to guarantee dying someday". Meanwhile they will carry on driving 5mile per gallon vehicles to cross the street and wrecking the planet with their pollution. Who needs them?

H
Old 05-16-2003, 07:20 AM
rorywquin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All that talk of tea, coffee and slurpies makes me think of something sour...........oh yes......... grapes!!

Two guys at the club where I fly recently bought 9Cs and now both admit (having seen the ease of use of the MPX, those nice flap sliders and it's flexibility) that they regret not buying the Multiplex.

I suppose price is a consideration in the USA but the MPX RE 9 is certainly not 4x the price of equivalent sets as suggested by somebody.

It is like the golf clubs - even the best set of Pings will not make me a better golfer - so I supose "fit for purpose and ability " is really the best choice !!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:28 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by rorywquin
Two guys at the club where I fly recently bought 9Cs and now both admit (having seen the ease of use of the MPX, those nice flap sliders and it's flexibility) that they regret not buying the Multiplex.
Friend of mine traded in his 9C for an Evo9. The 9C was simply incapable of doing what he wanted, the Evo does it easily with capacity to spare so he is extremely happy with the upgrade from Futaba to Multiplex.

H
Old 05-16-2003, 07:31 AM
rorywquin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Re: Re: Take this with a pinch of salt....

SNIP ...so he is extremely happy with the upgrade from Futaba to Multiplex.

H
Very cheeky Harry !!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:00 AM
JCaste

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also need yo buy a coputer radio, because my focus 6 is just not enough....I wanted a very good radio, but now the top end such as the profi 4000. I thought first of the eclipse 7 because my local hobby shop has the raptor 30 v.2+robbe 200 gyro+5servos+tt.39+eclipse 7 for 900$, which is the same as the Royal Evo...
So between HItec Eclipse 7, REvo (9 or 12 channels?), Futaba 9C, what would you choose? Any other options?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:12 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Take this with a pinch of salt....

Originally posted by rorywquin
Very cheeky Harry !!
From 8 proportional to 9 proportional channels, from around 8 memories (I canít remember what the 9C has) to 20 memories, from crystals to frequency synthesiser, PC backup, internet download if there are any software upgrades, more mixing and assignability than Futaba allow, etc etc. What he wanted to do ran out of mixers and switches on the 9C so it failed his requirements, the Evo does it with no problem. Yep, it is definitely an upgrade!

H

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service