Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Brands - New vs Used - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:29 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Radio Brands - New vs Used - Any Advice?

Some advice is needed.

I need some opinions about brands of radios. My first plane is an Aerobird which I am now learning to fly. This will be my trainer, but it is a 27MHz radio system and I can't transfer it to other planes. I knew that when I bought it. This is not an issue.

Give me some guidance in the following areas:

Brands

I hear good things about Futaba.
I have heard good things about JR
Airtronics seems to get a mixed review
Hitec seems to get a lot of bad press

New vs. used

Clearly new is better and used should be cheaper, but is there really a lot that gets burned outon a radio system. Assuming it hasn't been abused, dunked in Coke or kept ina fireplace, do radios generally fail or wear out? It seems people upgrademostly for new features rather than a failing radio.

Most of the new systems come with standard servos. I am most interested in medium sized electrics, say under 2.5 pounds and under 60 inch wing spans, sostandard servos are usually too big. If I buy new, I will probably get a radio without servos and add a flight pack.

Standard vs computer

Other than the obvious issue of cost, is there a real strong advantage to a computer radio that is worth, say a 25% premium? I am a sport/fun flyer. No competition in my foreseeable future.

Anything else I should consider?

I would go with a minimum of 4 channels and probably a 6 channel radio. I figure 6 chanels should carry me at least 5 years. Who knows after that.

Your wisdom is appreciated.

Ed

Beautiful Jewelry by Maria - MLA Designs, Inc.
www.MLADesigns.com

Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 AM
tabb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ed,
I am new to the hobby also only a couple of years. I know that Mr. Huber and Mr. Dave O will probably be able to shed much more light on this than I . Here is my .02 cents. I have a JR radio, it came with the plane that I purchased as a package. I really like the radio so far, its been real reliable. The only downfall that I have is that every one at our field runs futaba which is a very good reliable piece of equip, but the Jr will not interface to the Futaba with a buddy cord if needed. I don't know if this is your situation, your club I am sure is larger than our 8-10 member club so I don't forsee the same issue. One thing I do know about JR is that you can go to Horizon hobby on the net and build the radio system that fits your needs. You pick the radio ,servos , right down to the battery capacity if I am not mistaken. I am not sure about Futaba or the other brands. I would assume they do the same. I would say when it comes to Futaba vs. JR in quality would be like Ford vs. Chevy or Dodge mainly personal preference. I think that the deciding factor should be what radio manufactures make and model best suits the needs of the aircraft you are intending to fly, what do you want the radio to do. etc. I hope this helps a little. Good luck and happy hunting

Tabb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All of the major brands you mentioned are very good radios, each has some advantages and dissadvantages. Probably the most importand aspect will be where you use it. If you belong to a club, I'd recommend you use what is most popular there; primarily because any help and advice you get will be more apt to be correct due to their experience. Also, if you want to use a trainer cord, more probablility of getting set up for little or no additional expense to you. As to how deluxe a unit you want to get, depends on how deep your pocket book is. You can get by quite well with the least expensive 4 channel job you can find. Dual rates can be very nice also and usually do not cost any more. EPA (end point adjustment) is very desireable, especially on throttle. A computerized unit is nice but certainly not necessary and, in some cases can cause you problems due to errors you will make initially in setting one up. Most important, visit or join a club and talk to the more experienced members. Most will be very happy to help you.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:39 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Let me say just a few things about each of your points. As far as the brand. The advice to buy what most of your
fellow club members use is good. You will be able to get more help and be able to buddy box. I have both JR and
Futaba and they both have their plus and minuses.It's also important to see what channels are being used
and buy one nobody else has. New vs used. Buying a new radio is the way to go. The prices on used stuff is not
cheap enough to justify. Replacing the two batterys alone is $50. And who knows how the servos have been run.
Standard vs computer. I think your first radio should be standard. It helps you learn the setups better. A computer radio might be in your future for 3-D or fun fly type flying. Having exponetial is a must for 3-D type aircraft. This is only available on computer radios.
Look at a good 6 channel and it will do all you want. You may not ever use the extra two channels but
the dual rates are worth having. $150-$200 worth of radio will last you 6 years plus. Go to a hobby shop and
handle a couple different brands. One might be a better fit in your hands than another. good luck daveo
Old 03-17-2003, 07:43 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

if you want a radio that is easy to buy and will do anything you want for a long time i would say look at the hitec eclipse 7 channel,i like mine so well i bought it for three airplanes,great computer radio is all i have to say about it
Old 03-17-2003, 10:20 PM
aeajr

Wow guys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

All great advice. I am glad to see that no one is bashing any of the brands I mentioned here or in any other forum. The advice about having what the club tends to use is also excellent. It makes a lot of sense.

It will be a while before I buy a new transmitter system, so I thought I would ask for advice. Thanks for being so generous with yours.

If anyone else has advice, I am open to all kinds of coaching.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:40 PM
aeajr

Well, I took the plunge.

I just bought a Hitec Prism 7X off of e-bay. $117 with an 8 channel receiver. Looks like a great radio. The guys at the club feel I got a good deal and a good radio, if it works. I am pretty sure it will be fine. Buying used from an unknown party has its risks, but I decided to take the leap.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Wish me luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 01:22 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The best advice on this forum is about purchasing a radio of the same type that most of the flyers at your field use. Check on which channels are in use and try to get one that not generally used. That may be difficult if there are a large number of pilots there. Our club publishes a list of the frequencies in use which is quite helpful. As to buying used look at the bottom of the Ebay listing and you will see a note that says "We have not checked these items. Caveat Emptor". If you want to buy used see if one of the pilots you fly with have a complete radio for sale. If they do you will have one that is compatible with someone on your field. As to a computer radio you may have some initial trouble programming it but there is surely someone at the field that can show you how to do it. It will save you upgrading later and can usually fly 6 or 7 different aircraft with just the purchase of a flight pak. Over time an overall saving of some bucks.