Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Frequency Change by Crystals Only?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Frequency Change by Crystals Only?

Xmtr and Rcvr crystals are not interchangeable. The FCC frowns on anyone changeing Xmtr crystals in the USA. Some brands of receivers can only be changed a small amount (not throughthe full legal range) without being retuned by an authorized service shop; i.e. Futaba devides their receivers at the mid point and call them either high range or low range receivers. Now, that being said, I have seen people change the crystals on both rcvr and xmtr with no ill effects. To be safe though, it is a good idea to have a technician check things out, especially if you are making a big shift in frequency.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:29 PM
dante0501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Transmitter Crystals

I have 2 JR transmitters (X-378 and Quattro), one being a 25 freq and the other being a 45 freq. I have interchanged the transmitter crystals with no problems thus far. I have 2 planes on 25 and 1 on 45. I interchange acconding to which plane I want to fly. I did this b/c my girlfriend uses the quattro when we fly together (that's why 2 different freqs) but When I fly myself, I only use the X-378. Should I be weary about doing this?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dante , I have a lot of respect for the fact you are asking the question, First, what you are doing is illegal. It is not likely you will ever be caught ,let alone prosecuted but it is somewhat risky. Illegal crystal changing has a few down sides besides the legal issues. For one thing the crystal socket was not made for frequent repeated insertion and removal when you find out the socket is worn it is usually rif=ght after your plane went in. Another point is forgeting which freq you last installed and shooting someone down when you turn on ch 42 thinking you were on 46. Some other flyers take a dim view of the practice and when someone is mysteriously shot down they have good reason to look at your equipment.
It is not likely that you will be of freq or too wide in bandwidth but you don't know till you check.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:21 AM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

Could someone cite the laws about changing crystals? Some people talk about it being illegal or frowned upon by the FCC but my reading of the regs does not support the notion that it is illegal.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:25 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Do you have the AMA membership nformation booklet? The FCC reg stating its ILLEGAL for someone not licencesd as a radio service tech to change ANYTHING inside the TX case is reprinted in that booklet.

You can also get a full explaination by going to www.modelaircraft.org and go through "Contact Us" "AMA Staff" You'll find [email protected] to be the correct person to contact regarding technical/regulations questions.

AMA insurance is void if you have an accident and they find you have illegally changed the TX crystal. Also, at that point you'd find yorself in the deepest mess of criminal and liability problems you've ever seen.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:10 PM
CrashGaalaas

I agree that it is illegal to change anything inside the transmitter case. However, the crystals on my transmitters are on the outside of the case.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:08 PM
Ladyflyer

All the transmitters I have seen have the crystals INSIDE the case. They may be accessable from the outside but they are indeed on the inside. The FCC has allowed the manufacturers to supply the US market with the same construction as world market . It is also covered under the "frequency determining" portion of the rules.
Quoting PART of the law will only bring the law down harder when a plea of "ignorance " is attempted.
This law is known and spelled out by the FCC and the AMA . It is hard to believe people are still trying the old "it's on the outside " malarkey .
Maybe all RC flyers SHOULD be required to have a license as they did in years gone by. They must first PROVE they know the rules and laws . It makes warped interpretations few and far between.

YES ! At one time RC flyers were required to carry an Amateur Radio Operators License ! They passed a test a lot tougher than todays amateurs . Could be time to renew that practice . The FCC has been thinking about potting and sealing the RF decks of unlicensed transmitters to prevent tampering.

Want to change freqs legally and responsibly ? GET A LICENSE ! It's EASY .
Old 12-08-2002, 10:27 AM
kdc

Here in England it is quite normal to change crystals frequently- even on the flight line. However there is a possibility of wear on sockets and confusion as someone else mentioned. Actually I have never heard of a definate problem due to loose crystals
It is worth noting that Dual Conversion receivers need different crystals. (Transmitter crystals are the same)
We use 35mhz sets in Britain and we have to pay a lot more than in USA because of this!
Old 12-08-2002, 06:06 PM
CrashGaalaas

I believe I have read all the pertinent AMA regulations and all the pertinent FCC regulations. Could someone please tell me where the rules are about not changing crystals? I still believe the "it's on the outside" malarky.

I asked previously on Nov 9 and so far have not received an adequate answer.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; Here in Canada (BC) we fly for enjoyment andswap frequencies semi-regularly. We are not concerned with what someone else says we must or must not do. It's very unlikely anybody will be harmed by swapping crystals, we do it frequently. Of course it goes without saying that you check that no one else is on that frequency before turning on. When you buy a piece of equipment its yours to do with as you wish. You know the risks, get out there and have fun.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:10 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Visit http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr95_00.html

You have to read a TON of stuff....

It boils down to... the change of the crystal in an R/C transmitter CAN detune the transmitter. The crystals are never exactly on frequency, and so the RF generation circuitry needs to be fine tuned to match the crystal.

If you can guarantee that the TX is within the allowable variance (which is rather small with the modern narrow band equipment) Then, fine.. you can change the crystal.

If it turns out that in the process of changing the crystal, (as an unauthorized, unlicenced amature) you drive the RF out of allowed range, The system can interfere with equipment operating on frequencies between the R/C "channels" (actually, freqencies) The equipment that operates in those ranges are remote controls for cranes and other commercial devices. Interference with those devices can be EXTREMELY hazardous to someone's LIFE.

Now, if you cause an accident with some of that commercial equipment (cause a crane to drop a load, crushing a truck with its driver...) You can bet that, WHEN they catch you, you will have NO defense vs the lawsuits and criminal charges which you will face. The FCC will go for you for vilotaing the law regarding modifying the TX... The state will go for you for the applicable charges, such as MURDER 1. (a death caused by the commission of a felony is by definition Murder 1, violating the FC reg is a felony....)

Just one or two of this type accident, and you can bet the FCC will come down on the R/C modeling community with a requirement for all okd equipment to be scrapped and replaced with systems that the end user has NO ability to change the crystal. (If they let us operate R/C models at all any more...)

Yeah... lets undo all the work the AMA has done to gain and keep the R/C frequencies for us. Lets risk killing people.

Just to save a $20 or $30 retuning charge....

Is it worth it?
Old 12-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Ladyflyer

Yes , on the island and in the land of Euros and World Wars they change thier own crystals . Here in the USA it is ILLEGAL for unqualified users to change the frequency determining element (crystal) OR to make ANY changes to the RF deck PERIOD . We share our frequencies with users who actually PAY for the use of the same freqs we use and they have a LICENSE. Licensed users may be running equipment such as industrial cranes where interference could cause loss of life or propertyUnlicensed RCers are allowed to share the band . If we receive interference from a licensed user TOO BAD. If we cause interference we MUST quit !

IF your crystal is hanging on the OUTSIDE for some reason SEND IT TO A QUALIFIED REPAIR FACILITY ! No manufacturer mounts the transmit crystal on the outside . SOME allow ACCESS from the outside ,but the crystal is on the INSIDE . Access on the outside does not mean the crystal is on the outside --DUH !
If you want to change frequencies legally ,EARN it ! Get a LICENSE. You will (should) have to learn ,and UNDERSTAND FCC regulations (not your personall interpretation) ,radio theory and operating practice.
Part of earning a license is removing ignorance from the list of excuses when laws are broken. The AMA has taken the lions burden for informing RCers in legal concerns since most RCers are members it has worked pretty well up till now .

The FCC has allowed type acceptance of some transmitters that are also sold in other markets. The crystal access port is supposed to be glued closed. Future transmitters MAY wind up with the entire RF deck POTTED (sealed) due to peoples flagrant disregard . If that happens the entire RF deck would require changing to move a channel . The price of radio gear would have to go up to build special radios for US market.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:11 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

OK .... it sounds to me that there are alot of semantics being quoted here. I think the original question is that when a crystal is changed, does it affect the tuning and or performance of the equipment. The legality of who can or cannot change the said crystal is not the question. As a matter of fact, on that subject, hobby shops regularly ask buyers what channels they want, then hand that individual that crystal, not installed or anything. I think he was just trying to be sure he was not jeapordizing anyone's safety or potentially destroying an aircraft because of this. why would receiver manufacturers sell high and low band receivers if you were not allowed to change the crystal ? The receivers function should be just as critical as the transmitter's should it not ? I have heard rumors the JR equipment requires no re tuning and that Futaba does, just rumors, I have tried to look for documentation from the manufacturers, but cannot find any. Just trying to get the thread back to the original question. I have my radio license and can change them to whatever I want, but honestly, the FCC could really care less about watchdogging R/C modelers, they now allow any Joe off the street to operate 50,000 watt radio transmitters on AM and FM . Just a comment.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Ladyflyer

CAN you walk into a bank with a gun? OF COURSE!
CAN you demand all the money they have ? YOU BET !
SHOULD anyone tell you it is OK ? Probably not .
IS that semantics ? NOPE !

CAN a transmitters freq be changed by changing crystals ? Of course,with crystal control that IS how the freq is changed
CAN the receiver crystal be put in the transmitter ? OF COURSE it can ! But it won't be on the intended frquency will it ? This is only one of the reasons crystal changing should not be allowed by the layperson.

The FCC doesn't really care whether or not your RX is in tune. What they don't want is a truckload of the same CB types tinkering with the RF sections of transmitters that are sharing the freq with licensed industrial users. If YOU don't understand that sorry THEY DO. They have the CB mess as living proof. And the people who will put odd ,unmarked or even receiver crystals in the socket "just to try it out" !
Two years ago we had a young lady nearly killed by a scofflaw crystal swapper. His channel marking long since oblterated from frequent at the field "I know what I'm doing" crystal swaps . Usually with oily ,fuel soaked fingers. The channel 38 looked like 33 so of course when Mr Swapper turned on ,the plane in the air on 38 headed right into the flight line. It headed straight at a young student flyer. Luckily missing her by less than a foot. Not so luckily she lost all interest and has never returned. The only good to come from this ,mr Swapper is now without a club.

I for one would welcome the FCC demanding sealed RF units in unlicensed transmitters . Or ,better yet make all radio operators get a license. Of course if you really MUST change crystals and if you RESPECT the law and the rights of others to reasonable safe practices you CAN take the time to GET a LICENSE :-))
Old 12-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said Lady Flyer, you get my vote.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:56 PM
mansvoice
My Feedback: (1)

LF must be a tax-and-spend democrat..
....A license to use the airwaves that we all own???? Puleeeeez!
Just a politicians excuse to steal more money in the name of a license....Meanwhile, LF, you'll still NOT keep the greasy fingered hack from changing his crystals...as often as she wishes....As for the present time????...NO, there is NO LAW prohibiting any flier from changing crystals in a radio tx or rx.....and I'm not speaking in semantics.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Ladyflyer

mansvoice . Wrong on most counts there FELLA.
No , I am FAR from a tax and spend DEMOCRAT.
A ham license costs NOTHING

"Tests are conducted for the FCC by volunteer examining groups. There is a small test fee (in 1998 it was $6.35) that covers the cost of the testing materials, processing and postage. There is no fee for the license itself. "

The PURPOSE of the license is to allow the applicant to demonstrate a KNOWLEDGE of the practices ,theory and regulations so they cannot plead ignorance.
Laws don't offer total protection but they do offer LEGAL recourse when loss or injury occurs.
Speed limits, don't keep speeders from using the roads they OWN . (Of course they paid for them with TAXES,you DO use roads don't you ?) There are speeders who regard the safety of others the same way crystal swappers do :-O !
Most speeders think they are more competent than than the law abiding non speeders. Of course you aren't SUPPOSED to be driving at all without a license ,whether you "own" the roads or not.

Oh BTW , If you are the VP of an AMA charter club you should be aware the AMA requires tuning to be done by a credentialed tech or under the direct supervision of the same. Of course an AMA club official would respect and honor the AMA rules .

And please do the Republicans a favor,most Republicans avoid stooping to name calling to make a point.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:17 PM
plasticjoe

OK then, this scenario............
I fly on channel 15, all my planes are on 15, I buy a JR Transmitter on channel 53. The hobby shop has JR Tx crystals for $15. Do I buy the $15 one, pop it in and fly and be fine ? Or do I send the radio back to Horizon Hobby so they can unplug the 53 crystal and plug in the 15, charge me $45 plus shipping costs to have a "certified tech" do it ? My question is, does the transmitter need tuned when there is a crystal change or not ? I understand the "constant swapper" that you had, most are not that, they just want to have uniform channels on their equipment, and want to be sure the performance and reliability will not suffer, and that if it will, then it would be shipped to the "certified tech" .
Old 12-28-2002, 10:34 PM
00hex

$45? Wow, that's a lot. If it's that much you might as well just order one on the right frequency.
Anyway, in your example, you should probably send it in. You're not just moving 1 or 2 channels over, you're going most of the way from one end of the band to the other - aircraft channels only go from 11 to 60. I wouldn't depend on everything working perfectly over that wide a range without needing any adjustments.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:36 PM
SaviCatses

Don't know why I bother with religion but... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Where does it clearly state that swapping must be done by qualified personel only? I mean, someone, please quote from a source.

As for actual accidents that happened from crystal swapping... does anyone actually have an instance where someone caused measured interference? Yes, there was this one person that mistook one channel from another because his crystals were worned down, but, well it really has nothing to do with detuning. Even on a car, you must change the tires from time to time, or risk a crash.

As for taking sides, this isn't it. I don't even own a transmitter yet yet alone multiple crystals for swapping. I'm just interested in finding facts! Plus, it would be interesting to know the truth about the matter.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:57 PM
00hex

The rules are in CFR (code of federal regulations) title 47 (telecommunications), part 95 (personal radio service), subpart C (which starts at section 201). The important bit is 47CFR95.221. You can get it from the Goverment Printing Office (GPO) at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2001&TYPE=TEXT
(a),(c), and (d) don't really apply.
(b) states:
<hr>
The internal repairs or internal
adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision
and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to
perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land
mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee
representative of users in those services.
<hr>

(OK, I admit it, that's not especially clear! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] )
You CANNOT repair or adjust anything inside your transmitter. Obviously there's nothing wrong with replacing
the battery or something, but I'd say that changing the output frequency definitely counts as an adjustment.
And if you don't think the crystal is internal - well, you're not adjusting the crystal, you're actually using the crystal to adjust the stuff attached to a circuit board that is very clearly inside the case.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Mikes machines

Hitec will change and adjust your transmitter for FREE!!! Why would anybody risk life, limb and lawsuits for something so easy to get around the legal way. You send them the radio and you are off the hook because they are the trained professional. No the FCC will not automatically come after you the instant you change a crystal. God help you IF something does happen. That first letter in FCC stands for federal as in federal prison, unlimited resources for prosecution. Its just not worth it. Its all fun and games until some one looses an eye.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:28 PM
plasticjoe

So since I personally have my radio operators ticket, I can change the crystals legally and I'll still not know if the transmitter needs tuned. Thanks for the info ladyflyer ! I was just asking a yes or no question and you are the one that had to catch the 'tude about it. Seems that the people in life that really don't know how to do something are the ones that point and spew rules, and just won't answer the question. Hey !! That's American Politics !! haha I'll drop it cause it's apparent that the answer is not here and I'll have to query the manufacturers more. I'll post my findings once I get them. I was just trying to get answers about rumors that I had heard and to substantiate them. Have a good and safe holiday !
Old 12-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Ladyflyer

Gee Joe ,don't go away with a 'tude. This question is asked very often. Go back to my first response.
The ORIGINAL question WAS answered YES to the "CAN I" . Yes you can and if you can't verify the results or you are otherwise not qualified NO you should not . So the qualifier is NO for most fliers.Many teachers took the time to make clear the differences between "can I " and "MAY I"

Of course a license is no guarantee.just a step in the right direction. There are explanations that go with the yesses and nos . Don't like em ,don't read em.

You brought up the receiver issue and opined that if changing the RX XTAL is OK it is therefore OK to change the TX XTAL. Flawed logic based on an incorrect premise. The FCC doesn't give a horses poot about your toy airplane. You are sharing the band however with people who have a license to be there . The licensed people are the folks the FCC is trying to protect from interference. That is why you can do ANYTHING you want to the RECEIVER ,ANYONE CAN ,but your type approved transmitter should only get RF service from a QUALIFIED tech.

He also asked in the ORIGINAL(you aren't the only question asker here) question if his DC crystal would work in his transmitter ! OF COURSE ,we should have just said YES and left it there . A SIMPLE YES or NO right JOE ? You would not have been FORCED to read the caveat that he would be transmitting on a totally different frequency. (ANOTHER GREAT REASON FOR QUALIFIED TECHS ON RF DECKS !!!) Possibly a frequency that is controlling a crane moving a 20 ton coil of steel !

Anyone CAN ,some should not. If you have a pretty good background and the ticket you realize the equipment required is really pretty basic. And you know (or SHOULD know ) the answer to your yes/no question .

Can you go 95 if a 25 ? Yes Joe YOU can ! Can you get an attitude when someone says you can but should not ? YES Joe YOU can . Yes simple answers work best .

Have fun flying.

Talk about semantics !

Fourth response to this thread.

Fri November 01, 2002 05:26 PM

Dante , I have a lot of respect for the fact you are asking the question, First, what you are doing is illegal. It is not likely you will ever be caught ,let alone prosecuted but it is somewhat risky. Illegal crystal changing has a few down sides besides the legal issues. For one thing the crystal socket was not made for frequent repeated insertion and removal when you find out the socket is worn it is usually rif=ght after your plane went in. Another point is forgeting which freq you last installed and shooting someone down when you turn on ch 42 thinking you were on 46. Some other flyers take a dim view of the practice and when someone is mysteriously shot down they have good reason to look at your equipment.
It is not likely that you will be of freq or too wide in bandwidth but you don't know till you check.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:07 PM
b1rd37

This thread is getting long and boring! LadyFlyer is correct........ There are rules and those who treat them with disdain are looking for trouble. They may get away with it for a long time, and may never get caught, but that does not make it right. It shows a lack of respect for fellow flyers, and as afore mentioned can be very dangerous.
I have read many responses by LadyFlyier and I can see she very knowledgeable in electronics. I do know a little about it myself, having had over 40 years experience.

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.