Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver x Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
marcoscouto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver x Ignition

Hi guys,

I bougth a plane, it's new and never flew.
I'm worry because I read some articles about the ignition parts location, and I think the locations of ignition switch and ignition battery aren't ok. (look the schema..the plane is a Yak 86').

I didn't perform a radio range check, before this I would like to know your opinions about this.

Thank you for your help.

Marcos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22779.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1003650  
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Receiver x Ignition

This setup looks appropriate. You want to keep the Rx switch away from the Ign switch. Opposite sides of the plane should be sufficient. I like to use a FiberOptic Kill Switch plugged in to a spare channel on the Rx. The extension running from the Ign switch to the Ign would be FiberOptic and prevent RF noise from that line.

I assume you are using a Non 2.4Ghz Rx. With 2.4, you would not have to worry about noise from this setup. With 72Mhz, it still looks OK, but I would still replace the Ign Switch Harness with a FiberOptic Kill Switch from SmartFly or some other manufacturer.

I have had to kill the engine, on some of my gassers, a number of times due to Throttle Servo failure or binding.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
marcoscouto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi BuschBarber,

Tks for your reply.
Yes, I'm using 72Mhz.
I'm sorry but I couldn't understand how a fiberoptic kill switch can help me. According to the smartfly kill switch manual, it is used to avoid turn on the ignition with receiver turned off.
The problem with wire between ignition switch and ignition will continue.

I appreciate if you explain....

thank you

Marcos
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the common sources for RF noise, with Gas engines, used to be the Kill Switch wires running to the Magneto and Ground on Non-Electronic Ignition engines. I used to use Shielded cable to eliminate that as a source for RF noise and I would keep the Kill Switch wires as close to the engine as possible and away from the Rx and the Rx Switch Harness.

With Electronic Ignition, I use a Switch Harness which connects the Ignition Battery to the Ignition Module. I also keep it close to the engine as well as place the Ignition Battery close to the engine. Everything is far away from the Rx.

The SmartFly FiberOptic Kill switch operates from a switch on the Tx. There are two modules. One is connected to the Ignition Module and the other is connected to the Rx. The two modules are connected with a FiberOptic cable so there is no RF noise generated from the SmartFly Kill Switch.

If you are getting RF interference, make sure that your Rx antenna is routed away from any servos, servo wires, or metal pushrods. If you can, use Twisted wire instead of Straight wire, wherever possible. Keep all the wires neatly bundled.