Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Should I switch to Futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
spawndn72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I switch to Futaba?

I have been flying JR since the early 90's and currently fly with a 9303. I am thinking about making the switch to 2.4g and as I see it my options are:

Convert my 9303 with the spektrum conversion module and receiver - $300.00

Buy a DX7 - $350.00 (w/servos)

Buy a Futaba 7c - $279.00 (no servos)

I am not flying helicopters any more so I really don't need the 9303 so a DX7 or a 7c will be plenty of transmitter for my needs and I think $300 is a bit steep for a module and receiver.

The DX7 is nice but I hate the fact that I have to buy servos with it. I do not need servos. I need a transmitter and receivers.

That brings me to the 7c. I can buy just the transmitter and the receiver and I can spread the payments out using Tower's 3 pay plan.

Is there a reason I should not make the switch to Futaba?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Should I switch to Futaba?

Hi!
No!
You already have JR...and the Spektrum use JR technology and same contacts so stay with JR. The DX-7 is better than the 7c Futaba as it has 20 model memories (Futaba 10) , bigger LCD screen etc and many more features that Futaba doesn't have.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
onewasp

I've been flying RC since 1960.
For the past 27 years I've been flying JR. (not many brands I haven't flown over time)

If you don't get it now you never will.
Do what you want to.
In the end it is all about personal satisfaction and the opinions of others mean about zip.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Ed

" The DX7 is nice but I hate the fact that I have to buy servos with it. I do not need servos. "

The answer is very simple ......... Buy the DX-7, and I will buy the 4 servos from you for $ 40.

... zak
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

What are you trying to achieve? What is driving the decision to do something other that what you have now? Is the cost of upgrading the 9303 not worth it yet spending the same amount to go, what amounts to, backwards is?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I hate to bring this up, because I hate product bashing online for various reasons, but... here is something I saw first hand that would concern me about the Spektrum module for the 9303.

My flying buddy has had one for about a year, and recently lost a plane while using the module. Long story short, his module is a very loose fit, and after the crash, noticed the bind light in the module bind button was off. Wiggling the module would cause it to turn on and off. We were able to make this happen just by shaking the transmitter.

Now, he frequently changes back and forth from 2.4 to 72, and maybe it has worn some. But the original 72 module is still a tight fit.
This may be an isolated incident, so take it FWIW.

BTW, I fly an X9303 2.4 myself, so am not bashing JR or Spektrum, and he has since bought the same.

Another option for you would be the new Airtronics 8-channel 2.4. Hobby People is advertising it at $229, with 2 8-channel Rx, no servos or batts.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

The more people that buy 2.4, leaves less 72M Hz radios at the field. My opinion is save yourself some money and stick with your 9303.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
spawndn72

The reason I am wanting a 2.4g radio is strictly for electrics. I have had problems with interference on 72mhz while flying electrics. I will continue to use my 9303 on my glow and gas burners. I have plenty of receivers to last me for a very long time.

My main problem with spektrum/JR at this point is that I feel like I am getting screwed over. I can't see why the conversion unit should cost almost the same as an entire radio outfit. And I don't see why I HAVE to buy servos with the DX7 when I don't want or need them. If JR/Spektrum offered a reasonably priced conversion unit or they offered the DX7 without servos I would never have even brought up this topic.

Futaba and Airtronics seem to be trying to win my business where JR/Spektrum is seems to be trying to do the opposite.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really feel the need to switch. Look at the RDS8000, it comes with (2) Rx's for $229.99 for Hobby People. You can still use all of the pieces of the flight packs with the RDS Rx, so you won't need to change connectors or anything.

I would say get the RDS8000 and use the 9303 for other planes. No reason to get rid of it unless you can get some good money for it.

My opinion only. Worth every penny you paid for it.

Dru.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
jcccc

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

The more people that buy 2.4, leaves less 72M Hz radios at the field. My opinion is save yourself some money and stick with your 9303.

I AGREE. Just stay with 72. If you need more model memory a mere $99 will get you a Polk's TrackerIII.Comes with a field scanner and warns you if someone is on your channel. OR just keep your 9303, and be happy fewer and fewer people are using 72.

J
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Whatever you do get rid of that JR stuff!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
victorzamora

I'd definitely agree with Kimhoff on almost any other day. I'm a HUGE Futaba fan. I have a 10CAP that I'm WAY happy with. I honestly could not think of more than 4 reasons it's not perfect...and they're all minor squabbles that would only be "nice little features to have." They're all just really cool things that I'd love for it to do, and two of those things aren't available on any radios (as far as I know). They're not even big enough to mention here!

The reason I'd recommend staying with JR is because you're comparing a $660 pro-level Tx to a $250 sport level Tx. I'd recommend getting the 2.4GHz module and modifying it so that you don't have to have that annoying coax cable running on the outside of your Tx....or the Futaba 10c. If you use even 25% of what your 9303 offers, you won't be happy with the 7CAP. I just upgraded from the old 7CAP (72MHz). I loved it, but now that I have my 10C I don't see how I did it. The 10C is very easy to program. The 7CAP was very easy for me to program as well.

I just think that going from a 9303 to any 7 ch. transmitter would be a huge drop. Stay with either the 9303 or move to the 10CAP. I do believe that the 10C is a more complete Tx than the 9303.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been flying RC since 1978. My first radio was a Futaba 6 channel. I have had 6, 7, 8, and 9 channel Futabas. When I bought the 9CAP, I was very happy until I needed the 9th channel to be more than a switch. When I saw the JR9303, I bought an XP9303. I had all 8 channels Proportional with Endpoints and Subtrim. When the Spektrum module became available, I looked at the Futaba alternative. With my Futaba 9CAP, I would only have 8 channels on 2.4. With the JR XP9303, I still had 9 channels and backwards compatibility to 72Mhz, so I could buy new 2.4 Rx's over time.

Futaba's 10, 12, and 14 channel Fasst systems are probably great, and competitive with the JR offerings, but for me, Futaba came out with 2.4 too late.

I have two XP9303 Tx's, one with the Spektrum module and one with the 72Mhz Synthesizer module. The Spektrum module came with an AR9000 Rx which sells for $169, so the module cost me $130 as I would have had to buy a 9ch Rx anyway. I bought the USB PC cord and software and I can save all my model memories to my PC, Print out sheets with all the parameters, edit the parameters on the PC, and save them back to either XP9303. The Flight Logger lets me evaluate the signal to my Rx so I can fine tune my receiver placement.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Buy what you like and can afford. Testing has proven that both JR/Spektrum DSM2 and Futata FASST are very imune to 2.4 Ghz noise. The technical differences between the two are mostly philosophic and of little practical consequence. I like Futaba and have a 12z/TM-14, and my friend has the DX-7 and x9303 and neither of us could be happier.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that the 7C does not have the capability for two elevator servo operation. You CAN do it with a program mix, but you only have trim authority on the Channel 2 side.

Dunno know anything about the DX-7, but if it does have this feature (dual elevator servos), that would be the thing to get. Many nice models now have two elevator servos.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
harphunt

Steve, you are wrong. The 2.4 version "does" dual elevators.

PEACE
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Be aware that the 7C does not have the capability for two elevator servo operation. You CAN do it with a program mix, but you only have trim authority on the Channel 2 side.

Dunno know anything about the DX-7, but if it does have this feature (dual elevator servos), that would be the thing to get. Many nice models now have two elevator servos.

Well IIRC, the 7C FASST system does support dual elevator servos after it was initially announced that it would not have that capability like the regular 72MHz 7C, I think Futaba got an earfull and changed the spec.

The DX-7 does support dual elevator servos.

There are a couple of things to consider about a native Spektrum 2.4GHz system;

ModelMatch. While some folks claim it's not really all that big of a deal, my contention is that anyone who's never started a model with the wrong one up on the tx is either lying or only has one model. I consider myself to be a very careful modeler and check control deflections right after I turn on the model and before I start it. On one occasion I did that and started the model which promptly went to full throttle, thank goodness I always restrain my models when starting them. After a few seconds of wondering what to do as the fuel line was not accessible, I noticed I had the wrong model on the tx. That model had virtually identical settings for the control surfaces, but the throttle servo was on the opposite side of the fuselage, so the travel was reversed. With the Spektrum's ModelMatch, if the wrong model is selected in the tx nothing happens when you turn on the model.

Servo Synch. While I have no knowledge of the exact operation of the FASST system, I suspect it is quicker than the standard 7C but the DX-7 and all Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz radios have a system where the servos are grouped together for quicker control response. When I first decided to try the 2.4GHz radios, I flew one of my glow models one day with a Futaba 9Z WCII and the next day with the DX-7 system. I couldn't believe the difference in the speed of the control response. You get a much more "connected" feel with the model than I ever experienced with the 72MHz radios. So control response speed will be better with the DX-7 than your XP9303 with a module and I think the 7C FASST will also be faster than a converted XP9303.

If you go to a module conversion with your XP9303, you will not get those two improvements. You will get the ability with the new AR7000 rx's to use the data logger with the rx in order to see if there are any issues with your install and the radio link, Futaba does not have anything like that capability. If you go to an X9303 and nine channel rx's like the AR9000/JR R921's, you also get 2048 resolution.

It may boil down to which one you like when you hold it in your hands? If you've got an LHS who sells both brands, you may want to go handle the various radios you're considering and see if that helps make up your mind?

JMHO, YMMV...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

Unfortunately this ignores the increasing problem of non RC field interference which is on the rise. Check the local Toy Distributors, and see for yourself.

The availability of a Freq. at the field is the small end of the stick. Random interference is the large end!

Somehow the real reason to move away from 72MHz seems to get lost in the "at the field" use probability and that was not the driving force, simply a benefit.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Funny, after 8 years with Futaba, just yesterday, I switched over to JR because of "related heat problems" with there receivers. Apparently it is not limited to the 14 channel Rx's. I Lost a 40% Yak 7-27-07 using the 2.4 FASST module on a 9Cwith an 2.4 8 channel Rx. It lost all signal.
The total blow off I received from Futaba, basicaly trelling me I was an idiot for flying in 104 degre heat and not protecting my Rx from the heat really shook the berrys off my bush.
Now all I have to do is figure out this X9303 programing.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

"I have had problems with interference on 72mhz while flying electrics." It's not your radio. Thousands of pilots fly electrics on 72mhz without issues. Don't buy a new radio because of this - find out why or you will continue to have problems.

Kurt
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On small electrics - there is a VERY big differnce switching from 72 to the Spektrum 6100rx

mainly you will find that the tiny rx are very immune to any glitching
There are a a LOT of these flying here - in the space of less than a year almost all the active 3d small electric flyers have switched to Spektrum and the 6100 rx
for what it's worth I have only seen two 2.4 , other than these little 6100rx on small performance models.
Both my son and I chucked all the little 72.00 setups -just to dicey-if flown close to the huge power lines where we often fly.
I guess we gave away over a dozen rx- nobody will take em anymore even as a gift.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Receiver availability, selection, and cost made up my mind for me. Nothing else meaningfully differentiates the products, at least not for me.

If you want a particular radio, why get upset about the servos that come with it? It's not as though you're stuck with them. Sell them for $80-$85, which seems to be the going rate. I've never seen anyone that has had a hard time moving them. Orget thisfind a dealer that'll sell you the transmitter and receiver of your choice without buying anything else. There's plenty of them out there that will do that.

None of this is agonizing nor difficult to accomplish.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Well IIRC, the 7C FASST system does support dual elevator servos after it was initially announced that it would not have that capability like the regular 72MHz 7C, I think Futaba got an earfull and changed the spec.
Will wonders never cease???

Its about time they listened to the end users.

While I have no desire (nor intention) to abandon my 72mHz 9Z, its good to know Futaba's new "intermediate" radio really IS intermediate.

I have a 72mHz 7C that I use for a buddy box. On several occasions, I've had cause to curse the fact the it doesn't "do" dual elevator servos.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Technex

NO WAY. JR/Spektrum are miles better.

Get a DX7! Great, I love mine not one fault! Best thing I've brought. I buy nothing Futaba.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

If you don't buy Futaba some day you will die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.