RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Oil pipeline (pig)

Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 AM
Yak_54_flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Oil pipeline (pig)

Can an oil pipeline pig cause glitches while flying close to them ? I took a hit today on a radio that has never had a problem. It is an JR 388 on PPM. I normaly fly this unit on PCM but the Rx is off to the shop for a tune up. I was approx. 50 to 75 above it on final approach. I didnt lose the plane, it just nosed down for a split second. Any help would be appreciated

Eddie
Old 05-19-2003, 05:31 AM
Hyrax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Eddie

When you say oil pipe line pig do you mean an object sent down a pipeline to clean it out of scale and blockages? If yes, and that was the reason for your interference then the only cause for the interference that I can think of is that the oil company somehow tracks the pigs location in the pipeline using a transmitter inside the pig that might be on the same frequency as your transmitter. I don't know how probable this is as I'm not an expert in the area, but its an idea.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Steve Campbell2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another possibility is that there is a remote (radio) controlled pipeline valve nearby.

I used to fly off an old duster strip, and there was a big underground pipeline junction that none of us r/c pilots knew about just a quarter mile northwest of the "flying area".

We would get BAD glitches; a few caused crashes. These were totally random, and not frequent enough to make us think it was something nearby.

We found out by a totally freak happenstance, which is too involved to relate here. But every time they manipulated that valve, if a model was in the air it got hit hard. The frequency of the signal was nowhere near 72 mHz, but was of such strength that it completely blanked out/overrode/whatever our low-power transmitters.

Something to check out...

Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Yak_54_flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pipeline

Thanks guys

It has me a little worried since I have been flying at this field over ten years now. Apparently one of our club members went down by the line and said his plane was moving all control surfaces even with his Tx on right next to it. He walked away about 60 feet or so and it stopped. I have always flown PCM here, this is the first PPM Rx I have used in a long time.

Eddie
Old 05-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Steve Campbell2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you need to get a scanner and check the area; that's the only way to know for sure.

Contact your AMA frequency guy...

Steve