Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Guillow RC Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Zeke Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillow RC Recommendations

I'm an old model builder (including rubber powered) but I'm new to RC. I have several kits on the go including an older Cadet Junior which I plan to complete and use for my initial 'flight training'.

My latest interest is the Guillow's Dauntless from their 1000 series. I've heard it needs some lightening and strengthening for use with the Cox .049 engine.

I was wondering if anyone has built this kit (the Dauntless) or can give me some advice regarding RC equipment & mini-servo brands I should be considering? Actually, any advice at all would be welcome but especially related to converting Guillow's 1000 series kits to RC.

Thanks!

Unforgiven
Old 05-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Ky Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Keep in mind, many here will disagree with me, but guillows rubber kits are quite tricky to get the right balance between lightness and strength for rc flying. And when they do, they can be quite fast, due to thier small size. Ive heard of folks that had to turn thier props backwards to keep a manageable speed ont he smaller ones with cox .020s in them. And tiny planes get magically heavier everytime you touch them it seems.

But it can be done! And if you dont have the cox .049 yet, don't get it, get a norvel instead, and break it in before its put on the plane.

There are some really good, better suited kits out there for 1/2a style planes, that will fly well with even a Cox on them, when you can get the cox to run. Norvels also come in throttled varieties, letting a fellow slow down when things get too fast.

Most any of the small servos are adequate for 1/2a rc. And theres a 1/2a forum on here with alot of old hat small engine flyers that can really help alot, take a look in there, and see what they are flying.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:29 PM
strato911

Let me be the first to welcome you to RC Universe! Where all is forgiven...

Sorry, I don't have anything to suggest for your current project, but you may find more people with interest in micro aircraft to help in the "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" planes & aircraft forum.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Zeke Freak

Thx Ky Flyer & Strato911 ! I appreciate the steer in the right direction. I'll check those other forums out.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:57 PM
strato911

We're both refering to the same forum. The repetition is due to us both typing at the same time (check our response times). I included a link in my previous post to make it easy to find.