Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Suitability of X-Bee Modules for R/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Suitability of X-Bee Modules for R/C

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Is that all? There are more complaints than that about Futaba and Spectrum right here on RCU.
I think X-Jet summed it up VERY nicely in Post #23. But FanBoy ears are deaf ears. That's OK, you will ultimately crash aircraft due to XPS. I just sincerely hope that the worst that happens is crushed balsa and fiberglass - NOT loss of life.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I have followed all the threads on this topic in every forum and have never posted in any of them. most of the time the material is way over my head. We have many in our area flying 2.4, but I have only seen two on XPS and one of them is now afraid to use it in anything larger then 40 size, even tho he has not had any problems.
The one thing I have noticed is that almost every time someone question xjet or kiwi on XPS they have a AZ near their handle, and on one with any expertize has countered with proof.
Just my thought on the matter. Dennis
Good points Dennis. I always thought that the Arizona thing was VERY suspicious too!

Well, the good thing is that it looks like most folks are getting the message and there are less and less folks "newbie" enough to listen to JD's nonsense.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I am from Nebraska. I have also lived in California, Pensylvania,New York, Florida, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri,Ohio,Iowa,Mass.Conn, Nevada,Texas, and Colo. That plus a seven year stint in Europe(Norway).
Now I reside in AZ with summers in Wa. That way I got to meet and talk to JD. Too bad none of you have.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Woketman

Actually I am from Nebraska. I have also lived in California, Pensylvania,New York, Florida, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri,Ohio,Iowa,Mass.Conn, Nevada,Texas, and Colo. That plus a seven year stint in Europe(Norway).
Now I reside in AZ with summers in Wa. That way I got to meet and talk to JD. Too bad none of you have.
Yeah, too bad. If I ever meet him, I can put my foot up his a_s!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Perhaps Dirtybird can explain why the posts that detail the problems with XPS keep being deleted in the XPS forum, since he knows Jim Drew. Or maybe he can enlighten us, the unclean, as to why anytime anyone questions the great JD he gets personally attacked by the "Drewistas" as a response to his technical question.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading through this thread presents several sides of the argument as to the suitability of XPS in RC use.

In one respect the technical argument is probably sound but sometimes engineers get so wrapped up in technobabble they will shelve a perfectly good project after talking themselves into its uselessness.

Likewise XPS users who have encountered no problems or issues with their equipment may, or may not, be influenced by any of this technospeak. Doesn’t meant they are disinterested or intellectually inferior, just their experience differs from the bogeyman scenario

XPS users who experienced problems may have genuine issues. However in our RC environment many issues from poor installations and related component performance all the way to a perfect setup influence how well it all functions.

In my many RC years I still believe the weakest link is still the Dodo who builds it, installs it and holds the sticks.

Technical folks can present endless arguments about the merits, or lack of, in one issue vs. another. End users completely satisfied with their equipment just flip the switch and go fly. Both can be equally firm with their position.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Reading through this thread presents several sides of the argument as to the suitability of XPS in RC use.

In one respect the technical argument is probably sound but sometimes engineers get so wrapped up in technobabble they will shelve a perfectly good project after talking themselves into its uselessness.

(snip)

Technical folks can present endless arguments about the merits, or lack of, in one issue vs. another. End users completely satisfied with their equipment just flip the switch and go fly. Both can be equally firm with their position.
What you say is often valid except that I've spent *many* hours evaluating, testing and using the XBeePro modules in UAV applications.

Originally it was hoped that they'd be viable as a control link in low-cost short-range systems such as used on our hovering camera platform but unfortunately the very issues that I've already cited proved to be very apparent in the actual real-world application of the XBeePro modules for this task.

Now we use them for non-critical telemetry only and even then we find that they are sub-optimal in a number of regards (related primarily to their RF performance).

So I'm not just spouting "book talk", I'm speaking from in the field, first-hand practical experience.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Gordito Volador

Perhaps Dirtybird can explain why the posts that detail the problems with XPS keep being deleted in the XPS forum, since he knows Jim Drew. Or maybe he can enlighten us, the unclean, as to why anytime anyone questions the great JD he gets personally attacked by the "Drewistas" as a response to his technical question.
Sure I can explain it. If I were running the forum I would get rid of all negative posts. And anyone making negative posts would be banned. Let them go create their own forum. After all he is the one paying for its upkeep. Why put up with garbage?

I didn't say I know JD. I just have talked to him. He has no idea who I am. Since I live in AZ our paths have crossed several times.
When his product came on the market I was skeptical. I had read many bad things about JD and his paintball bz. So I went to one of his demos to see for myself. I was impressed so I bought a system when the came out and ran my own tests.
I am a EE with 40 years experience in the aerospace industry, a quite a bit of it in test engineering. But since I am retired I have access to limited test equipment so I cannot do much testing. What I found seemed to be satisfactory.
This capability of being able to hop or not when faced with interference is not important in my opinion. There just is not that much RF floating around in the 2.4ghz band to worry about. Remember most equipment on the 2.4GHZ band are limited to 100mw. I worried a bit about MW ovens so I sat my system on my MW and tried it. There was not even a glitch.
Since I, and several others, have been able to operate this equipment for several months without a glitch, I just have to conclude that most of the problems with it are operator problems
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: XJet

(snip)

What you say is often valid except that I've spent *many* hours evaluating, testing and using the XBeePro modules in UAV applications.

Originally it was hoped that they'd be viable as a control link in low-cost short-range systems such as used on our hovering camera platform but unfortunately the very issues that I've already cited proved to be very apparent in the actual real-world application of the XBeePro modules for this task.

Now we use them for non-critical telemetry only and even then we find that they are sub-optimal in a number of regards (related primarily to their RF performance).

So I'm not just spouting "book talk", I'm speaking from in the field, first-hand practical experience

If you have that much practical experience with it, tell us what the sensitivity of the receiver in db. What is its noise figure? What signal to noise ratio is required for the receiver maintain lock and not drop into fail safe? What is its bandwidth? What is the transmitted data rate?
Is it a PLL receiver?
How does this compare with Futaba and spectrum?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 AM
XJet
Banned

If you have that much practical experience with it, tell us what the sensitivity of the receiver in db. What is its noise figure? What signal to noise ratio is required for the receiver maintain lock and not drop into fail safe? What is its bandwidth? What is the transmitted data rate?
Is it a PLL receiver?
Why would I bother doing this? ... as I have said, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince FBs of anything because it can't be done.

If you're an EE then go look up the relevant documents yourself and draw your own conclusions. I'm not your mother.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Woketman

Dirty Fan Boy, you been handed your a_s!

Maybe JD can make you feel better.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Don't EVER argue any of Xjets points on this XPS thing. Don't debate this man...he likes to debate this issue and if you don't agree with him you are a so called "FanBoy" of Jim Drew.
However if you agree with Xjet you will never be called a "Fanboy" of Xjet............ funny how that works.

If you want to use the XPS system and it has been working for you just go about doing it. But always remember this....XPS is not supposed to work very well for RC according to all of Xjets reasons and tests. Just ask his "Fanboys"

Now you have a choise........ do you want to be a JD fanboy or and Xjet fanboy??????????

Oh!!!!!!!!! I live in California...Arizona shares a border with California............YIPPE!!!!!!!!!! I'm a JD fanboy because of where I live.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except for maybe this situation.. Only the xps/ifs users had problems and now xps/ifs is banned..

=Julez Here are some images from a recent pylon event:

Now guess what all these planes had in common:

Needless to say, iFS is forbidden at future pylon events.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&page=2&pp=30
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Don't EVER argue any of Xjets points on this XPS thing. Don't debate this man...he likes to debate this issue and if you don't agree with him you are a so called "FanBoy" of Jim Drew.
However if you agree with Xjet you will never be called a "Fanboy" of Xjet............ funny how that works.

If you want to use the XPS system and it has been working for you just go about doing it. But always remember this....XPS is not supposed to work very well for RC according to all of Xjets reasons and tests. Just ask his "Fanboys"

Now you have a choise........ do you want to be a JD fanboy or and Xjet fanboy??????????

Oh!!!!!!!!! I live in California...Arizona shares a border with California............YIPPE!!!!!!!!!! I'm a JD fanboy because of where I live.
You have that completely wrong. Folks call the XPS "FanBoys" FanBoys because, even in the face of the over-welming evidence that XPS is inferior to FASST & Spaktrum, they continue to deny the facts. They will even go as far as deny that JD has told VERY strong un-truths to us all time & time again. That's a FanBoy!!!

The folks who support X-Jet, on the other hand, are not considered FBs because he is simply trying to tell the rest of you guys facts and help you get the full benefit of his vast RF/EE experience. If X-Jet gets something wrong and we spot it, we (or at least me) would admit it and point it out. The FBs would NEVER admit that XPS is second tier.

But FBs have already made up their minds and will not let the facts (even the great photographic proof that Jon has supplied us with, thanks Jon, sorry 'bout your XPS doomed jet) get in the way!!![X(]

Hope that clears up and corrects your misinterpretation of the term FanBoy. Glad I could help. [8D]
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I did not say all where from AZ just most. I travel a lot during the year in that state of Kentucky and have only seen two people with XPS. One is in my club and the other came from Tenn. I have heard that there is another in a neighborering county.
I am a CD of a GS show and have been a co CD of a jet event and not one person has used XPS. I don't know where most of them are, but I don't see any. I see a lot of Spektrum and Futaba is starting to show up.
I won't even try to claim that I understand all the techno information I read, but I can glean enough to feel that there is a question about XPS and there has been talk about whether or not to allow it at events in this area. Because nobody have shown up with XPS it hasn't been a issue.
The answer "it works for me therefore it's good" seems kinda weak to me. AM,FM even the old reed system worked (kinda) but all of us know the limitations of these systems. As we use the new systems more we will learn their limitations too. The market will dictate which is better and the weaker ones will fade.
When we all used 72 we had some control of interference with each other. With 2.4 we don't, so any system that can't handle interference is danger's to the hobby. I wait for more information. Dennis
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: XJet

Is it a PLL receiver?
Why would I bother doing this? ... as I have said, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince FBs of anything because it can't be done.

If you're an EE then go look up the relevant documents yourself and draw your own conclusions. I'm not your mother.

Just as I thought. You have no idea what these things are. If you are going to pass judgement on a device you really should have an idea of how to evaluate it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
dirtybird

I did not say all where from AZ just most. I travel a lot during the year in that state of Kentucky and have only seen two people with XPS. One is in my club and the other came from Tenn. I have heard that there is another in a neighborering county.
I am a CD of a GS show and have been a co CD of a jet event and not one person has used XPS. I don't know where most of them are, but I don't see any. I see a lot of Spektrum and Futaba is starting to show up.
I won't even try to claim that I understand all the techno information I read, but I can glean enough to feel that there is a question about XPS and there has been talk about whether or not to allow it at events in this area. Because nobody have shown up with XPS it hasn't been a issue.
The answer "it works for me therefore it's good" seems kinda weak to me. AM,FM even the old reed system worked (kinda) but all of us know the limitations of these systems. As we use the new systems more we will learn their limitations too. The market will dictate which is better and the weaker ones will fade.
When we all used 72 we had some control of interference with each other. With 2.4 we don't, so any system that can't handle interference is danger's to the hobby. I wait for more information. Dennis
You are correct. There are not many XPS's around. I have been using for 1&1/2 years and have yet to run into anyone else that does. And yes an argument that says I have been using it and have had no problems is weak. Its only one statistic out of a possible thousands. Maybe we should hold a vote and see what problems there are. The only problem is those that have had problems are likely the only ones to vote
One problem is xjets raging about its abiliity to hop or not has created an impression that XPS is wide open to interference. This is simply not true.
SS systems are highly resistant to interference without having to change frequency. This is the main reason for interest by industry and the military.
Ironically xjet himself has an explaination of why this is true on his web site. If he still has it there hopefully.
The only reason to change frequency would be if the band were completely wiped out by noise. Not very likely.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
DadsToysBG

Dirtybird, I agree with you to a point. A 2.4 system that doesn't hop is somewhat better then 72, but as I stated before we have no control over intervenes on 2.4 that why I want a system that moves or has redundancy. Asan doesn't move we know that and i wouldn't want that type in a GS or jet plane. XPS say it does but I have my doubts. I'm waiting for more information. Right now I fly both JR and Futaba. I'm a dealer and have to be able to tell my customers what I trust and don't. Dennis
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
dirtybird

Dirtybird, I agree with you to a point. A 2.4 system that doesn't hop is somewhat better then 72, but as I stated before we have no control over intervenes on 2.4 that why I want a system that moves or has redundancy. Asan doesn't move we know that and i wouldn't want that type in a GS or jet plane. XPS say it does but I have my doubts. I'm waiting for more information. Right now I fly both JR and Futaba. I'm a dealer and have to be able to tell my customers what I trust and don't. Dennis
A 2.4 SS system is much better than a 72 system. It can co-exist with many other units in its channel.
May I suggest that you get an XPS system and try it?
I don't have any proof but I suspect the XPS system is quite a bit more sensitive than Spectrum. I think that is why Spectrum went to a redundant system. You could make some comparison tests if you had an XPS system. Then you could also compare it with Futaba.
I have considered getting a Futaba but it appears their manufacturer is a bit sloppy. If so I plan to wait a bit until they get things sorted out.
As to whether XPS hops or not- all we have is some 1/2 vast tests by an ameteur in his basement. Hardly something we should hang are hat on
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Yeah, too bad. If I ever meet him, I can put my foot up his a_s!!!

The catagory is: Things a 14 year old would say.

I'm sorry, that is an insult to 14 year olds... they have much more maturity.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Woketman

[/quote]

The catagory is: Things a 14 year old would say.

I'm sorry, that is an insult to 14 year olds... they have much more maturity.

[/quote]

Well then, I guess you just don't mind being lied to by JD about true XPS's capabilities. I however feel more as the main stream population does. When a manufacturer misrepresents (that is spelled lies) a product's capabilities to you before you pay good money for it, then some folks tend to get a bit upset.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
DadsToysBG

I really don't need to own XPS. We have one in our club. I have flown with him and no there has been no trouble. But there has been questions raised about XPS that have not been answered too my satisfaction that I would not recommend the system. For me it's a wait and see. I still remember LA Jets not letting XPS in and the event in Germany as well. I do know that Spektrum and Futaba play well together. The heli meet in Muncie last year proved that. 750 pilots and only 29 on 72. the electric show this year at Mac Hodges place had 100 in the air at the same time.
I'm just a user with no expertize in radios. But as the old adage goes. Where there is smoke there may be fire holds true to me.
The three major radio companies in the US use two systems. If XPS is as good as stated one of these companies would have bought the rights to it and saved the R&D cost, that would have just been good business.
So now I read and listen. All this will sort it's self out over time. The best will survive and in a couple of years we will be here talking about the ones that didn't. Dennis
Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Woketman

Very well said Dads Toys, very well said.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
dirtybird

I really don't need to own XPS. We have one in our club. I have flown with him and no there has been no trouble. But there has been questions raised about XPS that have not been answered too my satisfaction that I would not recommend the system. For me it's a wait and see. I still remember LA Jets not letting XPS in and the event in Germany as well. I do know that Spektrum and Futaba play well together. The heli meet in Muncie last year proved that. 750 pilots and only 29 on 72. the electric show this year at Mac Hodges place had 100 in the air at the same time.
I'm just a user with no expertize in radios. But as the old adage goes. Where there is smoke there may be fire holds true to me.
The three major radio companies in the US use two systems. If XPS is as good as stated one of these companies would have bought the rights to it and saved the R&D cost, that would have just been good business.
So now I read and listen. All this will sort it's self out over time. The best will survive and in a couple of years we will be here talking about the ones that didn't. Dennis
I have no problem if you don't want to recommend XPS. That is your right.
I would like to make some comparison tests first if I were you,though
My problem is this:
This sport was made possible by innovations of americans. We could go to the local meets and talk to the people that made the systems.
Then the asians by virtue of their low labor rates stole the systems and drove the inventors of the equipment out of business.
We no longer have a path to the designers of the equipment.
Now an innovator is back creating something made mostly here in the US. A real person you can contact even if you don't like what he says
I think we should support him rather than listen to a hack from out of the country.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi...If you are talking about the above posted photos, all I see in them are a bunch of crashed planes. I have no way of knowing that an XPS or any other system caused the crash. I have no way of knowing if any type or make of radio even caused the crash????

I hope you understand my point in this post. I have been witness to any number of crashes and except for the wing that came off during flight I never really knew what caused the other crashes. I don't think the people that owned the planes ever really knew either as after the crash most of the planes were such a mess that it would be very hard to put the cause on any one item.
Just because a person posts some photos and then states that this or that caused the crash is not enough reason for me to belive it was what they said it was. I need more proof before putting the blame on a specific component no matter what it is or was.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to say...lasy week I read a news item that said a court had released a person from prison after he had been convicted of a rape.they had overwhelming proof that he did it. Now they have found proof that he in fact did not do the crime.but he sure did the time. Just because someone say it is so does not mean it is so?????????

Let's be open minded, but so open that our brains fall out.
ORIGINAL: Woketman

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

You have that completely wrong. Folks call the XPS "FanBoys" FanBoys because, even in the face of the over-welming evidence that XPS is inferior to FASST & Spaktrum, they continue to deny the facts. They will even go as far as deny that JD has told VERY strong un-truths to us all time & time again. That's a FanBoy!!!

The folks who support X-Jet, on the other hand, are not considered FBs because he is simply trying to tell the rest of you guys facts and help you get the full benefit of his vast RF/EE experience. If X-Jet gets something wrong and we spot it, we (or at least me) would admit it and point it out. The FBs would NEVER admit that XPS is second tier.

But FBs have already made up their minds and will not let the facts (even the great photographic proof that Jon has supplied us with, thanks Jon, sorry 'bout your XPS doomed jet) get in the way!!![X(]

Hope that clears up and corrects your misinterpretation of the term FanBoy. Glad I could help. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.