Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

4 channel TX came with a 6 channel RX: can I use 5 and 6?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4 channel TX came with a 6 channel RX: can I use 5 and 6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 channel TX came with a 6 channel RX: can I use 5 and 6?

Is it true that some 4 channel transmitters have in fact 6 channels available, but the 5 and 6 channels stick or pot are not installed from factory? Many come with a 6 channels receiver.

I have the 4 channels FM E-Sky, the receiver has 6 channels. Could I identify the soldering points in the circuitry board?

A guy told me that it's relatively easy to accomplish but I could burn a IC or transistor in the TX.

Thanks
Robert
Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4 channel TX came with a 6 channel RX: can I use 5 and 6?

ORIGINAL: rva1945

Is it true that some 4 channel transmitters have in fact 6 channels available, but the 5 and 6 channels stick or pot are not installed from factory? Many come with a 6 channels receiver.

I have the 4 channels FM E-Sky, the receiver has 6 channels. Could I identify the soldering points in the circuitry board?

A guy told me that it's relatively easy to accomplish but I could burn a IC or transistor in the TX.

Thanks
Robert
Some transmitters came with open areas on the circuit board that made for easy conversion. Some. I have an old Futaba FG series four channel that has tow slider openings and a switch opening in the case. In all likelyhood the board is ready to accept the additional switch and sliders. Now, this is an old 72mhz AM transmitter. My guess is that the newer transmitters are not that hack friendly.

The fact that your receiver is a 6 channel has nothing to do with wheather your TX can be field upgraded. The receiver has the ability to decode six channels of code from a transmitter. In your case, it will only see 4 channels of data as the transmitter isn't pumping out ch 5 and 6. If you had a 10 ch transmitter, that receiver would only see the first six channels even though there were four others in the transmitted data stream.

As to wheather you could identify where to add the additional components, and what values you needed for those components, is a question only you can answer. It depends on your knowledge of electronics and PC board layout and assembly. My guess is that you don't have that knowledge and skill because you ask the question to begin with.

Another issue is the type of circuit board and components. My old AFM Futaba has a lingle layer PC board with axial lead components, IE the wires on the compnents go through holes in the board. Most all of todays electronics are surface mount components. No holes, only pads that the componets are soldered to. This makes adding a component very difficult even for a very experience board repair person. The components are very small and the solder joints are below them, so it is impossible to use a solder iron to remove or add a component. I have 30+ years of diagnosing and replacing components on PC boards but that skill is obsolete now because of the multi layer boards and surface mount technology.

Bottom line, if you have an old radio like my AM futaba, you might be able to make the hack. If it is a radio introduced in the last 10 years or so, you don't stand much of a chance.

Don
Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 PM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 channel TX came with a 6 channel RX: can I use 5 and 6?

Thanks Don!

As for my skills, given the chance to identify the solder joints I wouldn't hesitate to try. But, if that's not the case, I mean, if the TX is the "electronics are surface mount components. No holes, only pads that the componets are soldered to" type, so I'll forget it.

Thanks again
Robert