RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anyone have good/bad recomendations for Tower servos?

Old 05-20-2003, 02:19 PM
TI_Ag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Anyone have good/bad recomendations for Tower servos?

I'm shopping around for the servos for my Aeroworks 80" Profile Extra. I need 90+oz servos for two ailerons, two elevator halves and a rudder. I really can't see myself spending more on servos than I did on the airframe so the Futaba, Airtronics, JR are all out. I've read plenty enough on here about the Hitecs, but nothing about the Tower servos.

Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:30 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some of the Tower servos are Futaba and Hitecs rebadged
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04 AM
Pilotsmoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the tower ts-53 servo is a futaba 3003. I peeled the tower sticker off and it said futaba s3003 under it.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Anyone have good/bad recomendations for Tower servos?

Originally posted by TI_Ag
I really can't see myself spending more on servos than I did on the airframe so the Futaba, Airtronics, JR are all out.
Welcome to Giant Scale. You're going to get what you pay for. Don't expect coreless performance (let alone digital) when getting these rebadged servos.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:30 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Tower system 3000 or 3K servos are Futabas and the system 2000 or 2K are Hitec. You can find which servo you're buying by comparing specs.

For Example the t-69 is a really a Futaba 148 with ballbearings for only $14!!! (The specs in on this one are printed wrong)

I bought the high torque Tower servo (forget the #) but it is a Hitec 605, the specs on these two are identical and so are the servos.

Sometimes you save money buying the Tower equivalent and sometimes you don't.

The Tower servo should work as good as its equivalent Hitec or Futaba.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:54 PM
m.gramling

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't understand why somebody would spend
$400 for a plane,
$300+ for a motor,
then try put the cheapest servos that will work in a plane

I am running Hitec 945's on my 1/4 edge. They have 155oz torgue on 6volts.. work great for me.

You could look at futubas 9202 they have 94oz torgue at 6volts. www.servocity.com has them for around $55 each.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:41 PM
TI_Ag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't understand why somebody would spend
$400 for a plane,
$300+ for a motor,
then try put the cheapest servos that will work in a plane
Let's just say the servos has been the real eye opener as I purchase all the items I'll need for my 1st large scale airplane. So far the airframe and engine have been about 2x what I'd spend on a 40 or 60 size. Now it seems like the servos will be about 5x what I've spent on servos in the past. Live and learn I guess.

I'll probably end up getting the Hitec 645s as they seem to be the bang-for-buck standard size high-torque servo. Even these at $40 per servo are still quite the eye-opener to someone used to buying standard $10-$15 servovs.

I am running Hitec 945's on my 1/4 edge. They have 155oz torgue on 6volts.. work great for me.
I have no doubt they work well, but is the airplane really that much more fun to fly because you spent an extra $50 per servo just so they would center a little better or rotate 50 or so milliseconds faster?

I'm not flaming you, I just have yet to read an argument that would make me want to spend double or triple on servos when I could put that money toward another project. I'd just rather spend my money on several fun "good enough" airplanes instead of one "best of everything" plane. I'll leave that one for those with bottomless pockets and lots of bragging rights.

Thanks all... I assumed the Tower's were rebadged, but didn't whose badge was under the Tower sticker.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Pilotsmoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the hitec 5625 is a good servo too. It is $10 more than the 645, but it has metal gears and it is digital, which means it is more precise, and has more holding power.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:22 PM
m.gramling

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't have servos that center good everytime, you plane will also feel like it out of trim. As for 155oz servos on a 1/4 aerobatic 78" plane. Do I think they are needed. Yes. I have over $1000 in the plane, motor, spinner, prop, battery. And I am not going to cheap out on servos.

I have seen this plane fly with 60oz servos all the way around. But he could figure out why his snaps wasn't crisp. It would drop in knife edge, looped like crap.. He coudn't understand why mine flew better. It was because of the servos.

If you don't feel you need it. Thats fine. That what makes this hobby great. There are so many options.

I have seen to many times, where people try to get by with the cheapest servo they could, and their plane ends up fluttering to death with a stripped gear, or the elevator, wouldn't pull out of a non-power dive, because the servo couldn't handle the load.

I mainly fly profiles, and funflys. This was my 1st and probably only 1/4 scale anything I will buy. I just don't like having that much money in a plane.

I fly 4lb profiles with $30 servos. Because I like the speed of servos.

Do I think you need to run a JR8411 at $114.95 each. That your call. But I would put in a good servo. Remember your flying a plane that has a 80" wing, that has big alierons. If you put to small of a servo on their I promise you, it will flutter.

I have a set of Hitec 645 that I run on 6volts. I fly them in a .60 size airplane. And they have been great. I have about 20 flights on them so far, and they center real good. And running them on 6volts, their speed is a lot better.

I know of a couple of guys that running the hitec digital 5625 or the 5645, on the kit verstion of this plane with a OS 1.60 and moosecan, And they absolutely love it.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM
TI_Ag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the hitec 5625 is a good servo too. It is $10 more than the 645, but it has metal gears and it is digital, which means it is more precise, and has more holding power.
That's true. I could probably swallow adding $10 to gain some speed and precision. Otherwise the 645 and 5625 have same torque and both have metal gears.

Thanks Pilotsmoe
Old 05-21-2003, 08:28 PM
m.gramling

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not trying to bash the Hitec 5625, but do a research on this servo in the radio forum. There have been some problems with them.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:39 PM
TI_Ag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

m.gramling,

It seems that we agree pretty well.

I certainly would not try to put a standard servo in this plane. My problem was that I kept getting reccomendations for $80+ servos when the 645 and 5625 seem to fit the bill quite well at $40 or $50.

I am aware of a few grumblings about the Hitecs that you are alluding to. I don't think those complaints are due to these being bad servos, but rather a combination of problems with Hitec's quality checks and the $100+ servo folks looking down their noses to help justify their positions.

I believe that if these servos are given a good inspection (open case to check all solder joints and the like) that there should be no problem.

I'm looking forward to flying this plane, but I imagine that like you, this will be my only venture into large scale for a long time. The smaller ones are so much fun and so much cheaper.

Thanks for your advice! ...it really is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:00 AM
Pilotsmoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never had a problem with the 5625's, the newer ones are fine. I know there was issues with the older hitec digitals, but these problems have been fixed.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:05 PM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think your question is answered then, Try the 5625's or Tower and let us know how they work.