Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

14 mz setup smoke/ choke

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
overpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 mz setup smoke/ choke

hey guys i have had the 14 mz for a while but am now setting up a big plane that has a choke servo and a sullivan smoke pump and i have 2 questions

1) the choke i am just expecting to setup on a channel with a switch full and back is this correct?

2) as for the smoke pump it says it reads anything - 140% to -15% as off and +41% to +100% as on so my question is how to i set something to negative? i know there is left and right when at the endpoint screen but they both stop at 30% would appreciate the help thanks guys
Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 14 mz setup smoke/ choke

The Choke would be set up to be Fully Open or Fully Closed. Should be no problem setting Endpoints or put it on a channel that is Non-Proportional and adjust mechanically.

I use the Sullivan Skywriter Smoke Pump. I experiment until I get good smoke without any unburned smoke oil blowing around. I then put it on a switch. If you want, you can mix the pump with the Throttle so the volume is proportional to the Throttle setting and then shut it off, with the switch, when you land.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 14MZ, I assign the choke servo channel to the trainer switch. This is convenient because it's momentary, like a choke application naturally is, and you can hold the choke on while flipping the prop (restrained by a helper, of course), and when it coughs, release the switch. You can usually get it to continue running this way.

Agree with the other advice on the smoke pump. I use some old-school Don Harris pumps (work great, but not proportional) since I can't mix smoke flow with throtle, I set up a mix to get the smoke to cut off below quarter throttle. It's pretty simple, use one or two mix channels (depends on the pump's threshold settings .. you might need a 200% mix to overcome it .. hence two mixes with same settings) to be activated by the throttle stick, in the "mix on" position you put 100% (+ or - depends on direction of travel needed to activate pump) mix to cancel out the signal that turns on the pump .. e.g. throttle is master, smoke channel is slave. When the mix is on, this forces the smoke channel way toward the "off" end of its range. You use an offset mix for this technique .. a fixed offset that is or is not mixed into the slave channel.

I believe this smoke cut-off method is in the Futaba FAQ section on their website.

Dave

Edit to clarify offset mix...
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
overpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand what your saying my question is how do you set endpoints to negative for the smoke cutoff?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know why you would need to set Endpoints to Minus. Whatever Stick or Knob you use, there are Endpoints or Travel Volume settings for each side of Neutral.

Whenever I set up my Smoke Pump, I pick a channel and then set the Direction. If I am using a Slider, I move the Slider until I get adequate Smoke without spurting out unburned oil. I then adjust the Endpoint or Travel Volume, down from 100%, until I get the right Flow Rate. If I were using a switch, I would start with a low value for ATV/EPA, flipping the switch Off and On, until I got the proper Flow Rate.