Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 heat failure (crash)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 heat failure (crash)

ORIGINAL: Woketman

You gotta admit, that 4 reciever idea is pretty excessive. I'd much rather use some common sense and deal with the heat issue for now, until they fix it. They better fix it!!!
Some of that may be marketing hype, just like anything else. But, I do know for a fact that systems like collision avoidance on commercial airlines run multiple antennas and receivers simultaneously for diversity. I've designed antenna switches and transmitters for them in past places of employment.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw

ORIGINAL: summerwind

there is no physical damage to the Rx, and i think what my test points out is that somewhere along the lines of using it, that a defect has exposed itself and is the obvious reason for the loss of control...................the Rx stopped comunicating with the Tx (maybe you missed the opening post).
and how could it be damaged?.......it was installed per Futaba's new intallation guidelines
Actually it would seem to me that your test showed your receiver working fine. Therefore there was a failure somewhere, most common being pilot error, battery and switches, component failure and lastly radio link. It seems to me that you're receiver after being involved in a crash now fails the test it passed before the crash. No physical damage to the receiver, are you kidding me? No visible external damage you mean. After a crash I always send in my receivers. Experience has shown me on all radio systems I have used, that that is the only way to ensure internal component integrity. Your receiver failing at 102 degrees is not indicative of the reported issues. It does howver indicate a more serious component failure after a crash.
You have made your mind up even though the facts do not support it.
Thank you for your detailed post which I did read, hopefully your inflammatory and accusatory topic heading will be dismissed by more experienced users and after reading will be analysed in light of their own experience.
Whatever you decide, I would look at all aspects of the crash. i would also be interested what component was either moved or damaged inside the receiver to cause the intermittent link failure that you are now seeing. Perhaps the same component that fails when exposed to high heat.
good luck
Paul
sorry i missed your post.......OK so what you are saying is this was pilot error...........hmmm, let me see, i am flying along, then i suddenly no longer have control over the airplane and it crashes, yep i got it now, i must have done something wrong to lose the link between my 12Z Tx and the 6014................and now the Rx you say IS damaged, hmmm, could that damage come from the crash?.......especially since now we can not use foam padding to protect our $200.00 hi tech, low heat tolerant Rx, so is the damage to my Rx my fault too?........................did i miss anything here?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you send it in to Futaba to find out their opinion?

PEACE
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: harphunt

Did you send it in to Futaba to find out their opinion?

PEACE
i sent the Rx and servos off today......we'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I'm not going to blame the pilot or the wiring or battery. I see no installation problem. You tested your receiver by exposing it to much higher temps than the 102 degrees and it passed. My cell phone gets hotter than 102 in the shade.

Now it's failing at 102. Something failed in that receiver to cause it to drop link at 102. It may not even be the temperature externally, it could be a componet failure that has lost it's ability to stand any heat whatsoever. I think something went wrong inside the receiver. I doubt that this crash is related to the crashes that have resulted when the receiver was exposed to extreme heat.
Sorry you lost your plane. The receiver apparently failed, but I think this is not in the category of "another futaba heat failure". JMO
Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
summerwind

Geezer
you are right, the first line of thinking and posting is on my part an assumption, but after testing, it's obvious that whatever has failed inside the Rx is affected by heat, temperature, or whatever else we should call it. so in a way it is still heat related, just that the Rx has made it's own heat tolerance adjustment to suit
at temps below 102 this 6014 is rock solid, range checked just as it did when new too.
thing is however, this plane had never even seen a bounce on landing, nor any abuse, so it's kinda scary that the Rx just suddenly dropped it's temp tolerance.
this still tells me that the Futaba Rx's need to be revamped. at least the 6014 does.

we'll see what Hobbico does about it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

With today's solid state electronics, the most common failures, (assuming no abuse), come very early due to mismanufacture of an electronic component, or very late in the life of the unit as some part fails sooner or later due to the wear and tear of normal service.

I think you got hit with the former.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

With today's solid state electronics, the most common failures, (assuming no abuse), come very early due to mismanufacture of an electronic component, or very late in the life of the unit as some part fails sooner or later due to the wear and tear of normal service.

Years ago it was common to bench run a new receiver 4 to 5 hours. The electronic consensus then, and probably still holds true, is marginal electronic components will fail in the first few hours of usage. Once past that they run until virtually worn out from performing reliably after long periods of time.

I have never dropped that habit and continue to bench run new installations (batteries, servos, receiver, etc.) through several airborne battery charge cycles. Mid to high end transmitters have a test mode that make it simple. The receiver/battery then go into a beater plane for 15-20 flights minimum before moving to the final airframe. A number of warts have surfaced during these cycles.

I fly in the same environment as Summerwind (we're fifty miles apart) and have not encountered any issues with either 6014FS's I have.

Even though Summerwind performed some heat tests earlier and passed with flying colors, the 102 +- degree limit indicates your assumption may be correct in that a component decayed within the first few hours of life.

For those awaiting response from Futaba proper, I can only surmise engineering has looked at the ratio of reported/serviced heat issues vs. delivered units and the number may fall into the projected failure percentage. If that is the case, any response is unlikely and there will probably be a change to chip specifications in future production runs.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

I was told by a reliable source that the Ama is concerned about this problem. Although they will not admit to it at this point. So what that tells me is that the issue is much bigger than any of us know.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:48 AM
saitofreak

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

Years ago it was common to bench run a new receiver 4 to 5 hours. The electronic consensus then, and probably still holds true, is marginal electronic components will fail in the first few hours of usage. Once past that they run until virtually worn out from performing reliably after long periods of time.

I have never dropped that habit and continue to bench run new installations (batteries, servos, receiver, etc.) through several airborne battery charge cycles. Mid to high end transmitters have a test mode that make it simple. The receiver/battery then go into a beater plane for 15-20 flights minimum before moving to the final airframe. A number of warts have surfaced during these cycles.

I fly in the same environment as Summerwind (we're fifty miles apart) and have not encountered any issues with either 6014FS's I have.

Even though Summerwind performed some heat tests earlier and passed with flying colors, the 102 +- degree limit indicates your assumption may be correct in that a component decayed within the first few hours of life.

For those awaiting response from Futaba proper, I can only surmise engineering has looked at the ratio of reported/serviced heat issues vs. delivered units and the number may fall into the projected failure percentage. If that is the case, any response is unlikely and there will probably be a change to chip specifications in future production runs.
I agree with this and perform my own "running in" excercise on all new gear - specially Tx and Rx. The radio gear gets cycled for 5-10hrs usually (often during a build I just leave everything on to accumulate run time while I fiddle with setup). Builds confidence.

Also, its very possible that a damaged component will manifest itself via temperature sensitivity. Can be infuriating to trace these intermittent faults (prefer go/no-go failures myself ).

Cheers

Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I was told by a reliable source that the Ama is concerned about this problem. Although they will not admit to it at this point. So what that tells me is that the issue is much bigger than any of us know.
So are we to surmise from this tidbit of information that AMA is concerned about all reported issues with 2.4ghz equipment, including Spektrum, JR, XPS and Futaba, or is this another innuendo that Futaba is a bad company?

From reports and rants on the web, in my opinion all issues with 2.4ghz pale by comparison to years of 27-72mhz usage. AMA was never too concerned with that.

Me thinks this is baloney.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
summerwind

the failure rate and Futaba's lack of concern for the average Joe like me i can understand, but i think AMA may if pushed hard enough will investigate the useage of any Rx that is prone to failure due to a temperature extreme......................as for the 2.4Ghz, i think it's the hottest thing to ever hit the RC industry, and inspite of my mishap which i know had nothing to do with interference, i am confident in these systems.............when i fly my Proctor Nieuport 28 w/Laser engine however, i may be a little more selective of the days i fly it if i use anything buy my R606 or R617's........i know they are tolerant.................i do not trust Futabas 6014, and although the 608's i have are rock solid, i will now keep an eye on them as well................
Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Dick,
You can think what you want. What i know is that there have been a lot of problems with these recievers and heat failures. They are looking into it that is a fact.

As for me I use to think Futaba was a standup company, I have other fellings now and have switched over to Jr.

Take that baloney make a samitch then eat it don't waste it.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
summerwind

Craig,
maybe it would be worthwhile for me to send all the pictures, data and names of witnesses who saw me lose control in the air, and the post mortom when the Rx went green again after it cooled down..................i'm sure it will help Futaba get things sorted eh?
and i am serious
Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Craig,
maybe it would be worthwhile for me to send all the pictures, data and names of witnesses who saw me lose control in the air, and the post mortom when the Rx went green again after it cooled down..................i'm sure it will help Futaba get things sorted eh?
and i am serious
IMO I think Futaba and Hobbico both are well aware there is heat problem with the
2.4 receivers and is looking for the most inexpensive way possible to deal with it.
There are proberly known readly available fixes for the problem but Futaba does
not want to spend the necessary money so they are just trying to keep the lid on
but I thing the lid at some point will pop unless they step up and do the right thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
summerwind

yeah maybe AMA would like to know about this incident..........it was pretty close to the bone if you know what i mean.
had i been flying at low altidue, the Skybolt would have surely taken some windshields out that day.........i usually stay up high enough that if something does go wrong (flameout, glitch or whatever) i can easily abort or land without incident.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
DougV

AMA is not going to do anything about this. Maybe a warning on their web page like the one they have there now in regards to the JR 9303 wiring issue. Think about it, how many airplanes has been lost in the past 2 years with JR/Spektrum lockouts!!! And the AMA has done nothing about it.

Doug.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
summerwind

you're probably right Doug.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: DougV

AMA is not going to do anything about this. Maybe a warning on their web page like the one they have there now in regards to the JR 9303 wiring issue. Think about it, how many airplanes has been lost in the past 2 years with JR/Spektrum lockouts!!! And the AMA has done nothing about it.

Doug.
That is exactly my point. If AMA is focused on the Futaba heat issue per the "good authority" mentioned earlier then why not all issues surrounding 2.4 that have been raised concerning JR, Spektrum and XPS? A heat issue can be regionalized whereas brown outs, lost links, etc., can be everywhere.

So if AMA is being selective with their 'concern', then it is a political issue and not one of overall safety. After all genuine 2.4ghz problems can be an insurance liability issue no matter who the manufacturer.

That is why I said baloney. Some are just trying to rally support for their viewpoint by injecting anonymous 'good authority'.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
twinturbostang

Are we sure the lockout was not due to external interference, or some other issue? It sounds like you did a previous heat test on the receiver, and it survived at a higher temperature than you experienced on "crash day". Yes, it definitely could be a heat related issue. But I was just wondering if there was some other plausible explanation for the lockout as well. If not, then carry on. But if there is even a remote possibility that external interference occurred, or faulty wiring, voltage "brown-out", etc., then you should look into that as well in determining the root cause of the lockout.

Best of luck, and I hope you keep us updated on the outcome.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

Being more or less on the "inside" of the AMA as a District X Associate Vice President I can say that if AMA were to be thinking of this type of action it is highly unlikely that it would leak. The un-named "Deepthroat" AMA source is not something I have seen happen in the past. I always suspect things that are said without quoting a named source.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
summerwind

guys i am going to send the Rx in.......you must understand that i have recently had some failures with other Futaba gear that i don't believe was Futabas fault at all.........for example, Great Planes recommends the same tiny 3114 servo for an electric barnstormer with a 35-36-1200 Rimfire motor that is capable of outdoing a 30 sized fuel engine that goes like stink...........they also recommend the same servo in the tinyiest of park fliers............now in the larger electrics, there are many users who have had nothing but gear stripouts, and it is well documented on the forums......Hobbico denies that they have ever heard such a thing. but users have recieved gear sets for their troubles......the real remedy is to use Hitec Hs65's.
the analog servos when used with Futaba 2.4 sets will rotate off center when powering up, there was even a thread about it on the Futaba support forum that also somehow got locked (gee why is that?).......sometimes this sudden movement will strip gears in the smaller micros.........remedy?...use Hitecs or any other makers analogs as they don't move off center during powerup........why is that we asked Bill?........no answer
during the first flight of one the parkfliers i invested a bunch of money to get going in (should have found 3DHS sooner) electrics practically shredded it's tail thus stripping the 3114 on the elevator......i managed to get it down with a coaxing of the elevator and some aileron rocking..........later i found numerous threads of this problem with this particular GP plane, and again Hobbico denies that there was ever an issue........but in the threads by disgruntled users they all said that Hobbico either sent them a new plane or parts for repairing the little weakling. this plane also has a wing failure that Hobbico (electrify) posted addendum's to on their site to not use certain parts, but to use updated parts.....my kit had the early parts, i had to make updated parts. here again, what if the user doesn't go online to read the addendums?.....they sure don't put these notes in the kits.

they recently emailed me with an offer for a couple sets of gears for 2 of my 3114's that stripped due to the powering on issue, or completely new servos......i said the gears would be fine..........trouble is, WHERE ARE THEY?? never got them.

i started this thread because i for one fell victim to an issue i thought i would never have with my 6014 or any of my 2.4 Fasst Rx's.................i am so accustomed to Futaba radios being flawless, that even with this tragedy (for the plane of course), i will still remain loyal to Futaba. this Rx did something that was completely different from other issues i read about........it didn't have any "code" issues, and it didn't have any "range" issues.....it became less tolerant of the temperature that it had no problem with in the beginning of my using it.
did the sudden heat limit change because of the crash?....who knows. i do know from evaluating the damge to the structure that i was more than lucky as the Skybolt came in and tagged the left wing tips first, then the nose hit in which i also believe that due to the lightwieght build of the structure and how it collapsed under the stress, it more than likely saved all the major components from severe damage (actually no damge has been found to the servos or any other components)..........the engine was thought to have a damaged crank, but that turned out to be OK.....heck even the tank that was full of fuel came away with nothing more than a slight crease, and is in fact still useable....the Rx hadn't budged from it's mounting, but since i had the sense to mount the Rx to a lite ply tray and mounted the tray to the fuse with 2 small wood screws, that gave way and allowed the Rx to shift without damage.

do i expect Hobbico or Bill to chime in here?
not a chance.......that would open the flood gates, and i wouldn't want Bill to get kareemed by all the crazy posts that would ensue.

NO, i merely posted my issue as a "need to know" basis and i also said in the very beginning that i had no intention of using the thread as a bash against Futaba............but as usual there are those who can't read, or don't want to read, or are just plain ignorant of ones intentions and find a way to destroy ones credibility.............truly insane.

so if this doesn't clear things up as to why i don't trust Hobbico, then i'm sorry.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 AM
DougV

Mike:

Like i said to you on FG, before you send that rx to Futaba, do yourself a favor and make a video of the rx failing at 102F.

Doug.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Julez

When I warned about the heat issue, Dick Tristao accused me of

- being a Savior who is trying to start another “I’m saving the RC world from the evil Futaba” over on RC Groups.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7565239
- making whimsical and smug attempts to create a bogeyman scenario about their products.
- being childish
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7567055
- making a crusade against the evil Futaba empire
- attempting to be an “official” messiah
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7572417
- performing selective, innuendo filled crusades
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7574784
- being selectively anal over something so trivial.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7576221
- being a lonesome dude making noise to be heard.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7596390

Summerwind concluded, that
- all this specualation is worthless garble
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7582706
- all this thread is doing is freakin people out
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7590872
- those who have made this Rx fail are either stupid or lying.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7615670
- it was funny how long this thread has gone on, and no crash reports
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7713350
- this is getting better and better
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7731725
These are some of his better ideas:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7592013
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7592070

Gentlemen, I have an idea. Think twice next time before trying to ridicule problem reports.
Maybe, but just maybe, someone really had the intention to spare pilots [link=http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/812/pn37874kf2.jpg]this view[/link].
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
skorp_jon

Maybe it could help if we glue small heat sink to processor ?

did someone try this. We use 6014 receivers in large planes. I don't think 10 grams will mather if we add heat sink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.