Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 heat failure (crash)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba 6014 heat failure (crash)

my biggest scare of all time was this morning and i really am glad no one got hurt. i also need to make a formal apology to anyone else who has had an issue with a Futaba 6014 2.4Ghz Rx shutting down from heat, and i can also say i now know how bad it feels.
i'm not going to bash Futaba, and i am going to keep on using all my Futaba gear, especially since i just bought the 12Z this year, but i am deeply dissapointed at losing one of my best airplanes in the learning process.
the Skybolt was in the air at the time, and after we collected all the scraps and set it in under the shade, the Rx after about 2-3 minutes cooling time, finally went from Red to Green and control of the servos was reinstated.
i guess it will also be best to send the Rx in and have it checked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37874.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1023928  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
summerwind

Default RE: Futaba 6014 heat failure (crash)

and because i know i will be questioned about this issue, i am posting pics of how the Rx was mounted...............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16783.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1023955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89606.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1023956  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to read this![:'(]
Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Campgems

Summerwind, I know what you felt. I lost a scratch built last week from a battery failure, it open and turned off everything airborne. This was with a 72mhz Futaba system. One of the welded tabs let loose from the battery cell. THe plane circled for several minutes, loosing about 5 ft of elevation each revolution. Its a bad feeling not having any control and the plane is still flying.

JR is making hay off this problem. The last Model Avaiation on the back cover, has a JR/Spectrum ad saying that their receiver will still work when the case starts to deform at 307 degrees. Futaba had a notice on their site and there was a thread that both got pulled down about the FUtaba heat issue. I haven't seen anything more on FUtabas site no here on RCUniverse. I'm not flying 2.4, but I'm the web master for our club and I have a page with all known (verified) issues with radios. WWW.Sloflyers.com

Sorry about the plane, and I would send in the receiver for a checkup and tell them you would like a replacement plane also.

Don

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Crash-n-Burn
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...ggestions.html

for the **** insert f.l.y.i.n.g g.i.a.n.t.s .COM as one word without the periods (keep the .com), its stupid RCU web site control BS

Dear Rc Universe.

the website F.L.Y.I.N.G. G.I.A.N.T.S. Rocks and your stupid censorship which is C.R.A.P wont stop people from viewing it, Actually its better than RCU.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im sorry to here of your crash but im so glad that more of the truth about the Futaba
receivers are comming to light because at some point Futaba will have to step up to
the plate and correct the problem are they will loose a lot of sales.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Julez

Just try urly.de, it is not censored.

http://urly.de/08c1
http://urly.de/9f4c

See?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 AM
summerwind

you know the most ironic part of this is that 2.4Ghz technology is what brought me back to modeling after a 15 year layoff.............in the past i had been shot down twice by the same guy in our club when he switched on his radio.......(yeah he's an idiot, but owned the local hobby shop too)............and had several hits in areas around our field.

with 2.4 Ghz i figure we are safe from that, but to have a radio lose communication was a pure gut wrenching event.................funny thing is, before i bought the 12Z with this fabulous 14 channel Rx, i flew the Skybolt since last summer with the 6EX 2.4.....................never an issue.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM
skorp_jon

Are you sure it was heat problem ? Did you measuse heat of the receiver.

I really don't know how could receiver get so hot in the plane when you are flying.

In my pilon racer i have receiver near 80A regulator and battery and max. temperature that i have measured was 40C "104F" on the receiver.

On my large planes i have a lot of space and my receiver is not even warm.

I know they have heat problem and they should fix that. But here max. outside temperature when i fly is 30C so i think i will be ok. Until i crash
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
summerwind

skorp,

i agree, but no matter how you cut it, i had no control of the model.
i have sent Bill Baxter a link to this thread as well as emailed Hobbico............but i think we all know that i am SOL on this and they will just try to sweep this under the rug............i haven't posted this incident on the other forums yet so as to give Bill a chance to let me know what is going to happen on this, but i won't wait a whole lot longer as i have also PM'ed Bill with regards to some Futaba analog servos that rotate to an extreme position on boot up of which he has not replied either.

i love Futaba radios, but enough is enough................there are some quirks in their system, and it's not right for modelers who are Futaba users since day one, let alone new users, to do all the Beta testing at our expense.........................scariest part is, what if someone had been injured?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
skorp_jon

You are right. I have also problem with graupner (JR) 5077 servos. When i turn on the transmitter servos go to the one side and then jump back.

This is not big problem for me, because my servos don't go over limit. But may be problem in some planes when servo go over limit.

Futaba really need to fix that. I will be happy to send back my receivers to be fixed for that.

Futaba have great system, but they should improve it to be perfect system.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 PM
summerwind

skorp,

the problem i had was with the little 3114's that are recommended by Great Planes for use in their Reactor Bipe...........putting two barndoors on a little servo works for normal operation and flying, but when the Rx boots up, they get Whammed!!.....stripped out 4 of them now. what adds to it is when trying to plug the ESC into the Lipo.........if you don't get it connected just right the first try, then you end up touching the connectors again, and then the poor little 3114 gets screwed in the process...................i have posted this in the Futaba mfg. board and it got lost.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m sorry to hear about the problem with the Futaba equipment. I’ve used their servos for more than 20 years and my 9C Super 72 mhz for a number of years with great results. I’m disappointed that Futaba has not been more aggressive with solving their 2.4 problems. To make it worse the other leading 2.4 radio manufacturer is mocking Futaba in their ads. Very sad to see this kind of stuff happen to Futaba and then they don’t do anything about it. I hope they wake up soon!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

I have to say that if more people would take heed of true issues with these recievers we would have less crashes.

I posted a problem with these and other recievers a while back and everyone wanted to blame the install or said that i was making the issue up.

If interested please thake a look in this thread and keep it alive so that more people can be warned.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...tm.htm#7645681
Read the thread and see what you guys think.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
d_wheel

Have you checked to see what temp your receiver shuts down at? It appears that some cut off as low as 130 while others at 150 or higher. Was your receiver under a bubble canopy?

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I have to say that if more people would take heed of true issues with these recievers we would have less crashes.

I posted a problem with these and other recievers a while back and everyone wanted to blame the install or said that i was making the issue up.

If interested please thake a look in this thread and keep it alive so that more people can be warned.
Read the thread and see what you guys think.

Funny eh! The guy who dogged you in your post is now expecting everyone to believe him.....wow. Now ain't that a kick in the pants. Too bad they can't just take the info for what it's worth and make informed decisions instead.

Funny,
Kevin
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
summerwind

Craig, thanks for the PM and the heads up
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Mr. Mugen

Funny you should mention that. I read the whole thread and the thread started by craig. Talk about a lifeless punk? Ugly wife? LOL Your one heck of a classy guy summerwind. I think the ole saying goes.....what goes around comes around. And yes my wife is beautiful, my chiudren are beautiful and so is the smile on my face right now. I don;t make this stuff up....I call it like I see it. I saw you making craig (or trying to) look like a liar. Lifeless? Might have a look at your own wife man.
I hope instead of heckling or questioning other experiences you can maybe learn from them.

Your last post showed your class and mentality.

Thanks for clearing that up,
Kevin
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: summerwind

seems we always get a dog or two to heckle the victims..........that and they don't end up reading or understanding the thread mentioned above..........or do we call this, lack of a life?
yeah that's it, home life and ugly wife was the old saying........

Victims are those who didn't see it coming, and didn't deserve it. Your no victim here.

Time to grow up man,
Kevin
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
summerwind

Mugen,
i have no idea what you are talking about................
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Mr. Mugen

Figures. Ignorant people tend to ignore the truth. Like I said, real classy.

For those who think I am just "flaming" check this out.

If you treated others better you might not get responses like this.

I am not a bad guy or a jerk. I usually love to help others. When I see crap like this I tend to tell it like it is.

Kevin
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 AM
summerwind

Mugen,
let me see if i got things right here........you post an antagonizing post towards me..............then another post of garble, and then a 3rd post in which you created a "quote" with my name, and lastly you claim to not be flaming me, but you say what you just said in your last post, and include a link to help destroy my integrity?

in case you haven't heard of it, there is a little button around each users name and that button is called "PM" and that allows users to comunicate with each other in a "private" manner of which i did with Craig....................i certainly don't know why i should provide the content of those PM's to you in order to satisfy you either...........but plaes continue to make your postings that have nothing to do with the issue at hand....................makes you look real smart
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

SUMMERWIND,
Why did you not have the receiver installed in accordance with Futaba instructions? If you don't follow instructions, you can't expect good results.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
summerwind

OK, the simple version (at least i hope)
the 6014 when first received was tested in my best test for temp issues...meaning that i let the airplane and radio sit in my Black Silverado for an hour on a 100 degree day.......never checked the actual temp of the Rx as i felt if it worked after being in a Black truck that long with ambient temp as it was, there definately would not be a temp issue with this Rx........test result was good.

the 6014 is then tested in a test bed, in this case a GP Big Stik. i range test with and without the engine running..........range check was well over 100 paces. 1 pace equals 3 feet in my stride.
then tested in the air minimum 3 flights......again all is good.

now the 6014 was mounted in my Skybolt. again same testing, and same test results........flown 2 weekends in a row. all flights were however done before 9AM.........our flying time rule has been removed so we can go out at 6AM now and fly. temps were much cooler.

the day this happened was getting near 95 degrees and it was well after 9AM.
the Rx was NOT mounted under a canopy.....look at the location again, the cockpit area is behind the Rx....the wood you see behind the Rx is the dash. the foam turtle deck is 1.5 below the Rx and would have been shaded by the upper wing. the Antennas were at right angles to each other before the crash.....i only undid the velcro to show that i did "Standoff's" as per Bills install guide....the plane came in and tagged the left wing tip first at impact knocking things towards that side and basically rearanged most of everything.

now of course i get the reply from Bill Baxter with the usual yada yada, and send everything in......i probably would, but i did some serious testing today and this is where the Red flag goes up.
my test was to put the onboard system in a shoe box, cut a 4" hole to allow warm/hot air to enter. i set this up on my bench and using a hair dryer (i don't believe in torturing equipment) i placed the dryer 3 feet from the box.............got everything going and played with the sticks til "ta da".....no response from the servos...........checked the temp of the Rx with my Eagle Tree V3 with temp sensor and temp was 102 degrees.
in disbelief i let things cool down and check again (actually 4 times) and each time the Rx stopped responding, the temp was around 102 + or - a couple degrees.
the 4th test was done with brand new servos so as to rule out a bad servo from the original flight system.
this Rx is not working once it gets past 102 degrees. this is definately a Futaba defect.
now sending it in bothers me as i am not sure i can trust Hobbico with the findings.
they already claimed that a plane that i own that flew apart couldn't have happened, and that no one has reported such failures, but the plane that i am talking about has been documnented by many users to have just the exact faults that i speak of. So, how do i go about trusting techs?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM
scott17

Do you have any pictures of your shoebox????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.