RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 10X battery question?

Old 05-21-2003, 04:38 PM
samsrc
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR 10X battery question?

Does anyone else out there make a battery for JR 10X radios other than JR??
The 10X has a non-convential adapter, and I was wondering if other battery companies carry them.

Thanks
Sam
Old 05-21-2003, 05:34 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I assume you're referring to the battery cartridge? If your existing pack is failing open it up; there's a standard 8-cell TX pack inside. Unsolder / resolder / charge and you're done.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:44 PM
samsrc
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well you may be right, and I haven't really taken a close look at it, although from what I remember. It looked like it was a sealed unit. Although I can't be sure.
I was just more so wondering if there was an aftermarket company out there making transmitter packs that fit the 10X.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:48 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check out www.radicalrc.com they have alot of info about batterys.
Here is the link its the 6th battery down.
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...=20&cart=43351

They have a 1650mh NiMH battery that you can get the plug for a JR10X.
I just bought one for my JR783. I never did think my Tx had only a 600mh battery. I have a couple of friends running this on their Futuba 8 and 9 channels. They can fly all weekend long without charging it up. I will try it out this weekend.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:36 PM
visioneer_one

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by samsrc
Well you may be right, and I haven't really taken a close look at it, although from what I remember. It looked like it was a sealed unit. Although I can't be sure.
There's a weak trace / fusible link on the little circuit board inside the battery module - if you accidentially short the pack it burns through and won't pass current through the charging jack. When I blew mine I called Horizon for asistance; they had me open the pack up and resolder the trace. The cartridges aren't sealed - there are four skinny phillips-head screws holding it together.

The cells inside are arranged in the usual 'square' way, but do not have shrinkwrap binding them together as a single pack.

Originally posted by m.gramling
check out www.radicalrc.com they have alot of info about batterys.
Here is the link its the 6th battery down.
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...=20&cart=43351

They have a 1650mh NiMH battery that you can get the plug for a JR10X.
I just bought one for my JR783. I never did think my Tx had only a 600mh battery. I have a couple of friends running this on their Futuba 8 and 9 channels. They can fly all weekend long without charging it up. I will try it out this weekend.
Not quite - the RRC supplies connectors which will fit all JR radios *except* the 10X, as its the only one in the JR lineup that uses this silly battery module.

I had 1650 NIMH packs in my old 8103 and 10SX2 radios, and really liked them. I used to go slope soaring on weekends - we're talking 4-5 hours of solid flying per day - and I rarely had to recharge in the field.

The stock packs in my two 10X radios are starting to get weak. One is just about shot - its voltage drops off very quickly to the low point, while the other one barely gives me 2 1/2 hours of flight before its time to recharge. Time to mod 'em, I think
Old 05-22-2003, 03:43 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys are making way to much out of this. Just unplug the unit from the 10X. Then take out the screws that hold the unit together. Pull out the 1100 mAh Nicad battery and cut the wires being careful not to touch them together. Now take the wires coming from the module and install a battery connector. Then take your new 1650mAh niMH battery with the connector and plug them together just like you would to your on-off switch. Put the module back together and install it in the radio. This is no different than replacing any other battery except you have to install a connector on the module. Use a volt meter to determine + and are correctly connected.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:07 PM
visioneer_one

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My two 1650 mAh NIMH packs arrived from RRC yesterday. Time to redo my 10X packs!

I cut the shrinkwrap off the two packs. Opened up the JR battery cartridges, unsoldered the old battery leads from the little circuit board inside the cartridges, soldered on the new packs and reassembled them. Both packs are now getting their initial slow 'conditioning' charge.

I noticed that the 1650 NIMH cells are the same length as the stock 1100 nicad cells, but are a hair bigger in diameter. They are a tight fit it inside the JR cartridges. That doesn't cause a problem with the cartridge fitting back into the radio, so no worries.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 PM
rodg2039
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR 10X battery question?

Guys,

I just got my new pack for my 10X. Its a HydriMax 1650. The connector has the Black, Red and white wires on it and the radio has only the Black and Red. Should I cut open the pack and under the white? How should I do this? Just want to be shure I do it right and not have a problem.

Thanks
Brian
Old 12-11-2003, 01:41 PM
visioneer_one

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What type of connector is on the pack? Does it look like a servo connector?

If your radio is a 10SX or 10SX2 that's the type of connector they use. Unplug the old battery, plug the new one in. You're set.

If the pack is going into a 10X you'll have to remove the shrinkwrap and cut the connector off - otherwise it won't fit into the plastic carrier/cartridge thingy.

Cut the wires. You'll only be using the red and black leads, so you can ignore the white one.

Open up the case of your old battery. Unsolder the old leads, solder in the new ones, reassmble and slow charge it.

Pretty simple, really.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:57 PM
rodg2039
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the relpy, going to try it now.

Brian