Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio selection help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio selection help please

I'm looking to get back into flying. Boy have things changed a bit in the past years! All kinds of new radios, motors, and electric flight actually looks like it could be fun!

I had always used Airtronics radios in the past, but always had that outsider feeling. This time around I'm thinking of going with Futaba, but I am not sure yet. I have it down between the Futaba 7C or the Airtronics RDS8000.

From what I can tell there is not too much difference between the two, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio selection help please

After more than 20 years, I returned to RC flying about one year ago. So I do understand about "how much things have changed". I purchased my first radio in 1969. It was a Futaba 5-channel. In making decisions about what brands of equipment to purchase now, I decided to go with the brand names which have "stood the test of time". So I purchased Futaba (2.4 GHz FASST because it is the newest technology). I have a 6C and a new 7C. These radios have performed perfectly. Not a single glitch, twitch, or hiccup....just flawless operation. I don't think you can make a "wrong decision". All of these new radios are very good. By the standards of yesteryear.....they are truly amazing technology.
Best Regards
JC (Smithville, TX)

I fly twice as FASST
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

If you are going to stay in the Hobby, my opinion is buy the best radio you can reasonably afford. I would suggest the JR 9303 or the new Futaba 10C.

If you get the best you can afford you will never look back and say "I should have...."
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
[]TEX[]

I would suggest the Futaba FASST, I am a bit biased though since all I own is Futaba.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
06sportster

Are there any real difference or advantages over each brands 2.4 GHz technology?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
[]TEX[]

Futaba has not had nearly the amount of problems or failures as the Spektrum system.

I also find that Futaba is much easier to use over the Spektrum systems. I've used both and that is just my opinion.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
JCINTEXAS

ORIGINAL: 06sportster

Are there any real difference or advantages over each brands 2.4 GHz technology?
_______
Yes....and these differences have been exhaustively discussed here in RCU Forum and elsewhere. The bottom line is the various flavors of 2.4 GHz technology are all proven. Which brands are the most popular where you fly? Sometimes it makes sense to go with what other fliers in your area use. As I said before, you really can't go wrong with any of the name brand radios. I agree with rcairflr: "buy the best radio you can reasonably afford".
Regards
JC
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS
"buy the best radio you can reasonably afford"
Words to live by..
Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Your question has been asked, in one form or another, many times and the answers usually end up with folks lining up behind their favorite brand. Completely understandable but, not necessarily helpful to the person asking the question. You are returning to the hobby at a point that is generating more technology changes in our radios than in the previous 35 yrs - better equpment and more choices for the hobbyist. First I would suggest that you purchase a 2.4 ghz system regardless of what brand or level of complexity. Secondly you need to determine if you are going to buy entry, middle or top of the line and then you can begin looking at what separates the different brands. If you choose entry then by all means include Airtronics along with Futba and JR/Spektrum. The Spektrum DX7 is a good example of an entry level system that by far exceeds the best you could buy not very long ago. Some folks would argue that the DX7 is much better than an entry radio but, that is my personal view. If you decide middle grade then the Futaba 10C or the JR 9303 are both great radios. The importers of both brands have excellent customer service reputations. The high end would be the JR 12X or the Futaba 12FG, 12Z or 14MZ and if you are going that route then you don't need any advice from me. There is a brand that I did not mention and that is Multiplex and it has a significant number of strong supporters. It may not be the best radio if you just getting back into the hobby - but, it has a solid reputation.

You also need to look at the receivers available for each brand and determine the cost and available functions to see what best fits your flying needs. The truth is that all of the brands (competing at the right level) are exceptional, so try to be pragmatic about your needs so that you can decide on the level and then choose the brand that excites you the most. Something that really helped me to make my choice was to download and read the user manual for each prospective/competing radio. In the end that had the biggest impact on which brand I chose. I would be happy to own any of major brand radios on the market - although I do have my preferences.

Learning about the different radios and what separates them is part of the journey and certainly part of the fun. Welcome back to RC. One of the fringe benefits of the hobby is that you don't get ties or socks for Christmas.

Howard
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Druss

Right now with the firmware upgrade there are basically no more failures in the spektrum system. It was a voltage issue which has pretty much been resolved. If you use a good ubec or voltage regulator you would not have even known there was an issue.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Ed

There are basically two types of 2.4 Ghz users today. There are those who have remained steadfast and loyal to Futaba, who have waited patiently, and have purchased FASST. And then there are those who have done additional homework, because they demanded the very best, and have purchased Spektrum / JR.

... zak
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06sportster

I'm looking to get back into flying. Boy have things changed a bit in the past years! All kinds of new radios, motors, and electric flight actually looks like it could be fun!

I had always used Airtronics radios in the past, but always had that outsider feeling. This time around I'm thinking of going with Futaba, but I am not sure yet. I have it down between the Futaba 7C or the Airtronics RDS8000.

From what I can tell there is not too much difference between the two, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

I'd like to second Howard's post about how you might want to go about selecting a new radio.

JC pointed out something that is often overlooked; what do the guys in your area/club fly most? If you're just getting back in, it's gonna be like starting over with these new radios and help from others who use them can be a real asset.

Last once you go over the suggestions Howard made, if it's at all possible go hit your LHS and hold the radios you're interested in from the specs or features, in your hands. You might be surprised how many folks will prefer the feel of one radio over others so much that they'll buy it rather than something else...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I have been flying Futaba radios since getting in the hobby and I've been quiet happy with them. I admired the JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio and the new Futaba 10C, but decided that a $600 radio was an unnecessary luxury. I also didn't want to get locked in to paying $169 to $199 per additional receiver.

The more reasonably priced Futaba and Spektrum 2.4Ghz transmitters all have their good points and bad points. The 6EX 2.4 and 7C 2.4 are lacking dual elevator mixing, the DX6i doesn't buddy box with a standard trainer box and requires a second computer radio for training, and the DX7 lacks a throttle kill button while instead requiring a throttle mix to be set to perform what should be a simple function.

I'd never flown Airtronics radio equipment before, but when I decided to take the 2.4Ghz plunge, the RDS8000 so outshined every other 2.4Ghz transmitter under $600 that the selection was a no-brainer. With Airtronics offering additional 2.4Ghz receivers, 8-channel and full range, for $79.99, this only reinforced my conclusion that Airtronics is the value leader in 2.4Ghz radio systems.

If you don't mind spending $600 plus $170 to $200 per additional receiver, the 9303 2.4Ghz and the 10C are both terrific options. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, paying $229 for the RDS8000 and getting a second receiver free is such a good deal that nothing else in the $179 to $499 radio market comes close. Go Airtronics.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Starzak... very useful propoganda, er, I mean post. Since you did your homework, want to explain to me exactly how DSSS is superior to FHSS again? Thought so...

Sportster, you'll be happy with any major brand radio you get, be it airtronics, futaba, or jr. They are all reliable. My suggestion echos other posts, i.e. get the best you can justify and look at 2.4 systems. If you think you may need assistance programming the radio, you may want to get a brand that is used by many at your local club.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
DougV

FYI:

The Futaba 7C FASST is dual elevator capable "Ailevator"

Doug.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
06sportster

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the Futaba 7C 2.4ghz.

I guess I just feel guilty, I have always used Airtronics. Back in my original RC-10 days with an AM XL2P up to my Losi XXX with a FM CX2P, my plane gear included 2 VG400 and a VG6000. I have read some rumors on the site of a new 10 channel 2.4ghz Airtronics, but can't seem to find any info on it. Does anyone know anything about it yet?

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Ed

"Starzak... very useful propoganda, er, I mean post. "

Gotcha ! ............................
Old 09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: DougV

FYI:

The Futaba 7C FASST is dual elevator capable "Ailevator"

Doug.
I own the 7CAF 72Mhz transmitter in addition to the RDS8000, and I like it quite well. The problem is you can't run dual elevator servos and trim them both from the transmitter. You can only trim the elevator servo connected to channel 2. You end up having to use a y-harness and synchronizing them mechanically.''

06sportster, the upcoming 2.4Ghz FHSS 10-channel Airtronics radio is more than just rumor. The project has been confirmed by Global Hobby and Airtronics and a prototype transmitter was shown at Toledo to generate user feedback. It is expected to ship during the first half of 2009 and will likely sell for "less than $500."

As a happy Futaba 7C owner (72Mhz anyway), I can't imagine why you'd want to buy the 7C FASST instead of the RDS8000. The Airtronics RDS8000 is $50 cheaper, comes with a second receiver at no charge, comes with more programming and mixing features, and has additional receivers available for $79 instead of $99.

The 7C FASST has 6-character model naming instead of 3-character model naming and the switches are freely assignable, but offers little else. If there is any compelling reason to choose the 7C FASST over the RDS8000, I sure wish somebody would clue me in!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
DougV

I had the 7C 72mhz and now I own the 7C 2.4. The new 7C is capable of dual elevator, you can use channel 2 and 5 or 2 and 7.
and yes you can trim both servos.

Check the manual page 45.

Doug.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: starzak

There are basically two types of 2.4 Ghz users today. There are those who have remained steadfast and loyal to Futaba, who have waited patiently, and have purchased FASST. And then there are those who have done additional homework, because they demanded the very best, and have purchased Spektrum / JR.

... zak
Sounds right to me

Biased ?
yeh - I wanted systems which fit ALL types of models tiny and large
The variety of rx types n sizes from Spektrum - simply overwhelms the competition
The "problems mentioned - very old news - and almost all were fixed quickly with free software fixes
I won't discuss other brand problems -
if you want to fly the tiny bind n fly stuff as well as 40%- look at all the Rx Tx combos offered bt JR and Spektrum and the DSM2 combos available.
Pricewise and performance wise - very good choices

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
bigedmustafa

I had the 7C 72mhz and now I own the 7C 2.4. The new 7C is capable of dual elevator, you can use channel 2 and 5 or 2 and 7.
and yes you can trim both servos.

Check the manual page 45.

Doug.
Hmm, that would have been nice to know, but I'm still not sure it would have changed my mind. On my 7CAF 72Mhz transmitter, channel 7 isn't even proportional, it's just open/close like a bomb drop channel or something. It's nice that Futaba chose to upgrade the 7th channel on the 2.4Ghz FASST version of the 7C; the 72Mhz version would be a lot more popular if they upgraded it on that model as well.

Even with dual elevator support, the 7C seems outmatched feature for feature by the RDS8000. I like my 7C enough that I probably would have picked up the 2.4Ghz version if a) I'd known that they'd truly upgraded the new radio for dual elevator support, and b) extra receivers were going to be less than $99.99 each.

Still, at $229 w/ a second receiver included free, the RDS8000 still stands alone as the best value on the market for a 2.4Ghz sport radio. It's actually cheaper than a lot of the RF Module/receiver packages being offered to upgrade old radios.

Airtronics will have their module upgrade out for their Stylus radio system as well as their 6-channel micro receiver soon, both are expected before the end of '08. The 10-channel 2.4Ghz FHSS will be another nice addition. If they continue to roll out quality products that are fairly priced, Airtronics could become a very significant force in the 2.4Ghz radio market. The RDS8000 is one hell of a terrific first step.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
DougV

Hi guys:
Can’t speak for the Airtronics radio, but for the 7C I think this is a decent package here for $279.00, I know I wish futaba will give an extra rx for free.

The ability to assigned functions to any switch.
Throttle cut, no need to use a mix for this feature.
Timer, you can assign the timer to any switch including the throttle stick. (Nice for electric airplanes)
Dual elevator support

Airplane advanced menu
• 3 programmable (P-Mix) mixes
• Flaperon
• Flap trim
• Air brake
• Elevator-to-flap mixing
• Flap-to-elevator mixing
• V-tail mixing
• Elevon mixing
• Aileron-to-rudder mixing
• Snap roll
• Dual elevator servo mixing

Helicopter advanced menu
• Governor select makes it possible to match rpm/blade speed to maneuvers
• Swash to throttle mixing helps heli pilots keep their rpm steady
• 3 programmable mixes
• Throttle curve (5-point normal, idle up 1 & 2)
• Pitch curve (5-point normal, idle up 1 & 2)
• Revo mixing
• Gyro mixing
• Hovering throttle
• Hovering pitch
• Throttle hold
• Trim offset
• 6 swash plate set-ups (5 CCPM options)

Regards,
Doug.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
mitchmcf

Airtronics makes radio's hmmmm never saw one.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM
06sportster

The ability to assigned functions to any switch.
Throttle cut, no need to use a mix for this feature.

I like the idea of the ability to assign any switch. I was thinking that the 7c 2.4ghz did not have a throttle cut button.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM
bigedmustafa

If it's like the 7C 72Mhz radio, there isn't a dedicated Throttle Cut button. You simply go into your model setup, activate the Throttle Cut function, then assign it to whichever switch you want it on. Interestingly enough, the 6EX has a dedicated throttle kill button even though it's a lower end model.

The RDS8000 has a dedicated Throttle Kill button, but is activated on a per model basis just like the 7C.

My understanding of the Spektrum DX7 is that there is no throttle kill function programmed into the radio nor is there a dedicated switch or button. If you want to turn off your glow engine without running it out of fuel first, you have to program in a throttle mix to peform the function and then assign it out to an available switch.

As for mitchmcf never having seen an Airtronics radio before, just keep looking around. They're going to be a lot more common from now on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.