Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

heat and radio equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat and radio equipment?

I am thinking of moving my planes and equipment out to my garage/barn that gets pretty hot in the summer. will the excess heat harm my planes and radio equipment?
thanks
Jeff
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: heat and radio equipment?

It can. Any chemical processes will be speeded up and some plastics will suffer. Wood will lose a lot of moisture and may change dimensionally. That being said, I store my stuff in an uninsulated garage here in Florida with not a lot of problems. I think some of my Monocote and other plastic coverings have shown a bit of deterioration and some of my adhesives have had an accelerated "end of life" date but in the main, all is okay.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjoos99

I am thinking of moving my planes and equipment out to my garage/barn that gets pretty hot in the summer. will the excess heat harm my planes and radio equipment?
thanks
Jeff
I have had vans, for years, to transport my aircraft. I leave my aircraft in my van 24/7. I have never had an issue with my radio equipment. I have had plastic canopy's deform so I keep a towel over them. It is unlikely that the garage storage will damage your aircraft unless you live in 100+ deg climate for extended periods.

In the past, some receivers have been heat sensitive.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
But not from sitting in storage. The situations I know about happened when an assembled plane was left out in extreme heat exposed to full sunlight on asphalt, etc. I store all my stuff in an uninsulated garage. South facing door (no insulation) it gets pretty warm during the summer. Never seen an issue with it.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM
karlik

I have had balsa wings warp from being stored in southern calif heat, and I've had monokote come unglued. Not every wing every time, but it has happened, and it was easily fixed with an iron or heat gun.
Electronics shouldn't have an issue with a hot room unless they have a weak spot like a cold solder joint, etc that would eventually fail anyway.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about mice and insects.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

But not from sitting in storage. The situations I know about happened when an assembled plane was left out in extreme heat exposed to full sunlight on asphalt, etc. I store all my stuff in an uninsulated garage. South facing door (no insulation) it gets pretty warm during the summer. Never seen an issue with it.

Ditto that. The only problem other than an occasional surface warp I have ever had associated with heat is, I had the screen on my Fut 8UAF get very dark due to being left exposed in direct sun over an extended period of time. Now after flying I make sure it's replacement which was a gift from a friend is now kept in it's case when not in use.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjoos99

thanks
Jeff
The only receivers that I have heard to be heat sensitive were some of the early Futaba 2.4 receivers sold about 5yr's ago and the problem has been
corrected also as I understand it the receivers would fail if they got to hot while setting in the sun or in a hot vehicle but once they cooled off they would
always work fine. I dont think there were ever any reports of receivers failing in flight due to heat.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Most consumer electronics are speced ot 120f degrees for operation.
Storage specs are much higher.
Dont leave any Lipos or glue nut there