Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 12x 2.4 gHz: Remove Xmtr back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 12x 2.4 gHz: Remove Xmtr back?

Anyone figured out how to remove the back on a JR 12x 2.4? There are a bunch of short cables that prevent easy removal. I want to put in stiffer springs on my sticks. I've tightened the stock ones as tight as they will go, and they are still too soft. Also, want to get a ratchet on the throttle. The smooth throttle doesn't work for me.

Jon
Old 09-21-2008, 04:53 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: JR 12x 2.4 gHz: Remove Xmtr back?

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Anyone figured out how to remove the back on a JR 12x 2.4? There are a bunch of short cables that prevent easy removal. I want to put in stiffer springs on my sticks. I've tightened the stock ones as tight as they will go, and they are still too soft. Also, want to get a ratchet on the throttle. The smooth throttle doesn't work for me.Jon
Jon, I had the same problem. Wanted to open the back and see why I couldn't tighten the throttle stick more and find out if there was a way to make the ratchet work. I took a bunch of screws out, poked, tugged, cussed and finally a little bird landed on my shoulder and said "hey, pal, this is a leaver....leave her alone and call JR tech support." I reinstalled the screws and called. The tech said he highly advised I NOT TRY TO OPEN THE BACK OF MY 12X. He said they had seen several come back for service because the user opened the back and caused damage. The non warranty cost to repair the damage was running around $300. He said the springs don't do much but there is some noticeable difference. I agree with that but not on the throttle. (Tightening the throttle spring actually made the rudder gimble seem tighter??) Anyway, he said they left the ratchet off the throttle because "you can fly an airplane without a ratchet but it's difficult to fly a helicopter with one." He said if I'd send it back they'd install the ratchet...some already have done so.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks. Did he say they had stiffer springs available? Or do I need to go ahead and get Radio South springs and send them with the xmitter? I thought I could fly without the ratchet on throttle, but I find I miss it. BTW, the picture in the manual that tells you where to tighten the throttle tension is wrong. You need to open the little rubber flap right next to the module area; the tension screw is under it. You may have tightened the rudder spring tension by mistake.

Jon
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geesss. No ratchet on the throttle. Yes those repair people will tell you that your the ONLY one that wants a ratchet.
I would love to have two more channels over my 10.
No way. I will keep what I have rather then buy a transmitter with reverse engineering.
Look how many updates the 10 went through over the years.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon,

When I talked with Horizon, I was told that the 12X would have to be sent back to put a ratchet on the throttle. Eventually I may do that. But I'm going to wait until they have a body of software updates. So far I found that the transmitter lacks the SNPT option for the master channel in the mixes. Also the balance for the 4-aileron has to be changed. I have read that if you reassign the RAL2 to the left side most of the mixes will work. But if you are using flaperons, it won't.

Allan
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
slarty

Why do you think that "updates" will be made available ?

JR have only ever released a couple of "updates", one on the older PCM10 and that was to correct a software error, one on the 378 again to correct a software glitch. These entailed new processor pcb's being fitted.

As far as I am aware, they have only released 1 software update and that was to correct a 3rd party problem. That had to be done at service centre level.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: airwayman

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Anyone figured out how to remove the back on a JR 12x 2.4? There are a bunch of short cables that prevent easy removal. I want to put in stiffer springs on my sticks. I've tightened the stock ones as tight as they will go, and they are still too soft. Also, want to get a ratchet on the throttle. The smooth throttle doesn't work for me.Jon
Jon, I read another post, with a picture pointing to the small rubber grommet located on the bottom right side of the module 'bump'. I called JR tech, asked if it was a throttle stiffening spring...he didn't know...he grabbed a radio. He said "YES" turning that screw definitely stiffens the throttle stick. I've tried it...it does. I may be able to live without the ratchet. I talked to a friend who has been flying his sans ratchet. He says he's getting used to it and may not send his back. BTW, the turn around time for the ratchet (or any repair) is running 7 working days according to the tech. Airwayman
Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I replaced the ratchet on my 12X. The only issue is that there are several small ribbon cables that connect the various boards together that are not very long. You need to be careful about pulling on them as you remove the back. They are not held in with older type ribbon connectors and have a newer type of connector that pinches the ribbon so it is possible to pull the ribbon from the connector. Been there, done that but found the loose ribbon and fixed it just fine.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: slarty

Why do you think that "updates" will be made available ?
Maybe it is just hopeful thinking. But there have been at least two updates on the XP9303 and several on the Spektrum by Horizon here in the US. The aileron balance mixup for the 4-aileron negates one of the main reasons for having the balance feature. I can't imagine that no one flying the giants will never use flaperons.

Allan
Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
MX240

Updates?? mmm Let me remember.
First we had:
JR 10
JR 10SX
JR 10SXll
JR 10X
I might have missed one??

I remember sending two (JR10 & SXll) of the transmitters in a couple times for software updates.
So on this side of the "pond" we get plenty of updates.

I was really disapointed that we didn't get a "SD" card with the twelve for updates.
Then, there is the issue of NO TOUCH SCREEN.
I also have a 9303 still on 72. Have no intrest in fooling with another roller dial transmitter.
For the price, I will be happy with what I have now.
Jim
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
slarty

Re the 10 series, they were more of a re-release. You couldn't send in your 10S to be upgraded to a 10SX.

To me an upgrade is a software upgrade, where the techs open the set up and connect a special to type cable hooked up to a PC running JR's proprietary software.

One of the problems associated with the 10 series was having to replace the touch screen because of fluid ingress. Those screens were not cheap. The roller bar system is just as good and typically faster to access, plus it means that fluid cannot effect it.

I suppose its a mute point as some are die hard touch screen users and some are die hard roller users.... just like there are die hard JR fans and Futaba fans.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 AM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: slarty

Re the 10 series, they were more of a re-release. You couldn't send in your 10S to be upgraded to a 10SX.

To me an upgrade is a software upgrade, where the techs open the set up and connect a special to type cable hooked up to a PC running JR's proprietary software.

One of the problems associated with the 10 series was having to replace the touch screen because of fluid ingress. Those screens were not cheap. The roller bar system is just as good and typically faster to access, plus it means that fluid cannot effect it.

I suppose its a mute point as some are die hard touch screen users and some are die hard roller users.... just like there are die hard JR fans and Futaba fans.

That's not a fault of a touch screen. That's a fault that JR used an unsealed touch screen. I find it kinda ironic when just about every other device on the planet (GPS, iPhone, etc.) are moving toward touch screens that JR chose to cripple their flagship by going backwards . . . .

- Tim
Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 PM
MX240

You are sooo right Tim.
If a person is too dumb to get out of the rain or sprays Windex on the screen with all those little holes.

I am a senior retired person...but I work part time for a large farmer that has GPS steering on his large tractors. All I have too do is turn it around at the end of the field and touch the 10" touch screen and it takes me in a stright line to the other end of the field (within one inch) We are talking about dust,dirt and wet fingers...no problems. But, no holes in that screen. Works perfect.
Doesn't Futaba have touch screens on their high end transmitters? I think they use a update card too?
Jim