Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 2.4 upgrade

Old 09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR 2.4 upgrade

Im looking to upgrade my 10X with the 2.4 module, ive considered the x9303 2.4 but i like the feel and features of my 10x better, and the 12x is out of my reach right now

HERE is my main question...... , Will i be able to switch modules from pcm to 2.4 with out any hassles? because i would still like to fly some planes with my PCM rx's
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM
slarty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR 2.4 upgrade

Yes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, it will only be a problem if you use the Spektrum antenna that is provided with the module, as you have to unscrew it and swap it with your 72Mhz antenna every time you want to switch.
I'm waiting on delivery of a replacement antenna that screws directly on the 2.4Ghz connector on the back of the module, so it will be almost as good an arrangement as futabas modules, I know I have both.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-5DBI-WIRELESS-...QQcmdZViewItem
Pete

Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pete - be even more careful than normal not to point the end of that 5.5 dBi antenna at your plane - the higher gain antenna has a bigger hole in the radiation pattern off the end.

You'd be better off finding a 2 - 2.2 dBi antenna with connectors like you want. Besides that, the system is rated for erp (effective radiated power) with the 2 dBi antenna, it might not be entirely per the FCC rules to use one with the higher gain antenna.

Just a heads up.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:18 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the heads up.
I never let the antenna point at the plane, I'll probably use it in the horizontal orientation across the back of the transmitter, just as I do with the FASST module.
I'll try and find a lower gain unit, didn't pay a lot for the one that I ordered.
Regards,
Pete
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thankyou now i feel better about upgrading
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Im looking to upgrade my 10X with the 2.4 module, ive considered the x9303 2.4 but i like the feel and features of my 10x better, and the 12x is out of my reach right now

HERE is my main question...... , Will i be able to switch modules from pcm to 2.4 with out any hassles? because i would still like to fly some planes with my PCM rx's
Absolutely. I've been flying 2 10x's for over a year with the Spectrum modules. Since you remove the 10x antenna everytime you put it away anyway, 2.4 or 72, it is no big deal. When you switch planes to Spectrum receivers, all you have to do is change it to PPM on the modulation screen for that airplane. Nothing else changes.

Spectrum gives you an adapter that snaps into the 2.4 antenna, so that it screws right into the normal 10x antenna socket. There is a cable that runs between the 2.4 antenna and the module. It is permanently attached to the 2.4 antenna, and screws onto the module. The cable looks fragile, but I've been using them with zero problems. The ONLY thing yo have to be careful of is not to turn on the transmitter without the 2.4 antenna connected to the module. There is a warning on the module about that.

Only one of the two green lights on the front of the 10x will come on with the 2.4 module in place. Also, as you move the sticks, sometimes the voltage readout on the screen will change by a few tenths. Both of my 10x's do it, and so does my Dad's. Just a harmless anomaly.

If you use a neckstrap, get one of the Spectrum neckstrap balance adapters. Not having the long whip antenna on the 10x throws the balance way off when you use a strap. Since the balance of the 10x was never all that great even with the whip antenna, the adapter helps, even with the 72 module.

Jon
Old 09-20-2008, 12:44 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thankyou Jon , its always good to hear helpful tips and positive things about a future purchase....RCU is the best
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Yes, it will only be a problem if you use the Spektrum antenna that is provided with the module, as you have to unscrew it and swap it with your 72Mhz antenna every time you want to switch.
I'm waiting on delivery of a replacement antenna that screws directly on the 2.4Ghz connector on the back of the module, so it will be almost as good an arrangement as futabas modules, I know I have both.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-5DBI-WIRELESS-...QQcmdZViewItem
Pete

Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Pete - be even more careful than normal not to point the end of that 5.5 dBi antenna at your plane - the higher gain antenna has a bigger hole in the radiation pattern off the end.

You'd be better off finding a 2 - 2.2 dBi antenna with connectors like you want. Besides that, the system is rated for erp (effective radiated power) with the 2 dBi antenna, it might not be entirely per the FCC rules to use one with the higher gain antenna.

Just a heads up.

Interesting comment.

I have the DX7 and X9303 (the first shipment of each) and I have repeatedly TRIED to point my A/C into fail safe ____ even far out and low (the worst case condition) and I can't even get a hiccup.

As I've been flying Spektrum full range since 2006 I am pleased to point out that this 'theoretical problem' ain't !!!!!!

That doesn't mean Never Ever but I am going to have to see it to believe it _____ theory or NOT.
I've done everything short of mounting a scope on my antenna.
Rock Solid at distances where you begin to lose visual orientation as well as close up. High or low ____ no problem.

My point is that if I can't create it with intentional pointing and repeated tries then I doubt that it is a legitimate concern.

FYI

Franlkly I wouldn't worry about that aspect
BTW I am a GenClass of thirty odd so while not an RF authority of note I am more aware than many RC fliers.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cant wait to fly "worry free" of being shotdown
Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
MattyC-130
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looking at buying a JR 10sx and upgrading it to 2.4 with spektrum DM9 module, Will I have 8 or 9 working channels? The Spektrum add says "1st generation JR PCM10 transmitters will only provide eight channels". Is the 10sx consisered 1st generation ?
Thanks,
Matty
Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a guy on RCGroups that did a 2.4ghz module "hack" on his JR radio. He permanently installed the module INSIDE the TX case and put an attachment on top for the 2.4ghz antenna to screw on. He left the factory JR module on the case as well. Then he installed a slider switch.

Now he flies 2.4ghz by moving the slider switch. Back to 72mhz by moving the slider switch back the other way. Pretty slick "hack" IMO.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994433

Granted, it's not a Spektrum module, but anybody could do this with pretty much any module. The fancy plastic case is just there so it will snap into place on the back of your TX. Take off the case and the actual guts of the unit are pretty small. Small enough to fit inside your TX case.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How many channels does your radio provide in PPM mode? If 9, then you should have 9 with the DM9 and 9 channel receiver. PCM is not used when using the DM9 conversion module, the radio must be in PPM mode for any model that's on 2.4Ghz.
Pete