RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

flight packs

Old 05-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Kripto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

I am new to R/C and want to but another flight pack for a 2nd plane. I have a JR X378 and not sure what I can buy.

1 - Do I have to buy a JR RX?

2 - does it have to be a 7 chan RX?

Or will any RX work with the right chrystal for my TX?

Thanks
Ed
Old 05-23-2003, 04:43 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

You need a RX that supports the JR modulation. I believe JR is negative shift but a quick search through the forum will tell you for sure. No, it doesn't have to be JR. Hitec makes JR compatible receivers and I believe FMA does as well. Check with them to be sure. No, it does not have to be 7 channels. It can be anything you want, but only a maximum of 7 will work since that is all your TX will control without additional modifications.

John
Old 05-23-2003, 05:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

JR is positive shift.

When ordering a flight pack for a Jr tx from Hitec or FMA just specify it is for JR Tx.

John
Old 05-23-2003, 05:05 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

John,

Thanks for the correction. I knew it was one or the other

John
Old 05-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Kripto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

Thanks,
Who carries FMA and is it any cheaper than buying JR equipment?

Thanks again
Ed
Old 05-23-2003, 05:53 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

JWN - Cool

Kripto, Yes both Hitec and FMA are a lot less expensive than OEM. Both are excellent equipment and in some ways in my opinion superior performers, My favorite is Hitec for among other things they have absolutely the best customer service and warrenty proceduces industry wide and yes I have delt with all the majors for many years.

John

Servo city is one of the many online Hitec outlets possibly FMA to.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Kripto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

Servo City has some great prices but do I need a single or duel conversion crystal? What is the difference?

Ed
Old 05-23-2003, 06:36 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

The crystal depends on the RX. If you buy a single conversion RX, get a single conversion crystal and vise versa.

John
Old 05-23-2003, 08:39 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

As JWN said never try to use a DC crystal in a SC Rx it won,t work. Additionaly always use the same brand as the unit. In other words with a Hitec DC Rx always use a Hitec DC crystal even though you are useing a JR Tx with a JR crystal. All crystals are not cut the same even though both are the same frequency. There is more involved than just the crystal in frequency determination.

Its real simple, Order your rx with the appropriate crystal (brand and DCor SC) on the same channel as your Tx.

There is one exception to this that I am aware of and that is the use of Hitec crystals in GWS Rx has been approved.

If you would care to say exactly what type RC aircraft that you are going to get into i.e. park flyer, electric, glow power etc. I could make some specific rx model recomendations that would be appropriate to the aircraft you have.

John
Old 05-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Kripto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

JohnBuckner,
I am moving up from a trainer to a profile edge 540 (made from coroplast) I know big jump but they are cheap to build and I dont care if I plow it into the ground ( i have 3 made already). So what do you recomend?

Ed
Old 05-24-2003, 01:12 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best deal on a flight pack

I was looking for a flight pack myself and found the best deal to be buying a Hitec one complete with 4-BB servos, Nicads and crystal set for $99.99 shipped and no tax from Omni Models in Ill.
Theres no shipping if the order is over $100 so you might have to add a prop or something to get free shipping. This is by far the best bang for the buck as far as flight packs because its $40 cheaper than any of the other compeditors. If you buy a futaba flight pack for $139 with 3004 servos you might as well buy the 6YG radio with 3004 servos complete for $149. Ten dollars more and you get a transmitter that you can at least use the battery pack out of then sell if you don't need it.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:24 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

OK Ed

And by the way the jump to your higher performance Spad from the trainer is a doable jump if you acheived proficiency with your trainer.

As a heavy Hitec user I am going to make a recomendation based on that line, FMA also makes excellent competive products also but have not used as much of their equipment. I also am going to assume your Spad is about a .46 sized project.

First off I would only use a Dual conversion Rx. Both companys make Single conversion units however these are intended for park flyers and the range is not going to be up to the task. I realize that your JR Rx in the trainer is probably a SC unit and JR uses an extra filtering stage bring it up to DC performance standards but I am not a fan of that technique.

There are three I would prefer for your airplane:

Micro 555 for with shift for JR 28672
Electron Six with shift for JR 25372
Supreme 8 with shift for JR 23672

The supreme 8 is probably the least expensive of the three This one will give you the most versatility for other types of aircraft later.

The Electron Six is much smaller with six channels.

My favorite is the 555 five channel with equal performance to the Supreme but the lightest of the three and I have fourteen of the that I use only for pylon racing and in that venue they perform very well indeed where where 20,000 RPM engines and antennas that are not extended beyond the tailcone for drag reasons provide a severe torture test.

If you use two aileron servos the fifth channel will provide for dual channel aileron servo operation.

John
Old 05-24-2003, 04:16 AM
Basil Yousif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

I the JR R700 Receiver a dual conversion reciever.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:10 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

Just another option for you as Basil suggested ... get a Quattro system, $150 or less and it comes as a complete "flight pack" AND the receiver xtal - sell the Quattro radio on ebay (JR Airpack alone is $125, and that is with no xtal).

The R700 is a SC reciever.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Basil Yousif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

Just want to ask you about the DC and SC features;
I am wondering why the J-700 is more expensive at $79 sold seperately than the Futaba Dual Conversion at $59. If Single Conversion reception is not as good as the Dual Conversion reception capability than why is the R700 more expensive. I presently have two flight packs with the Futaba DC recievers and have just purchased a JR631 radio that comes with the R700 reciever. Will the JR work just as good distance wise- of course the plane is allways in seeing rainge.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:06 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

For info:

http://www.bergent.net/SC-DC.pdf
Old 05-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Basil Yousif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

The article is good but it really makes SC receivers look like they are inferior to DC revcievers. How come some of the most popular SC recievers like the R700 reciever which is used with Mid priced radios in the $200-$300 price rainge is used in high traffic airfields if there interfearance suppression isn't very good not to mention that individually the R700 sells for more than the Futaba 7 channel DC receiver. Are some SC recievers not a part of the park flyer class of recievers. Or is this a good case that you really get a better radio with Futaba for the money.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

SC receivers can be just as good as DC receivers. Note: CAN BE. Higher precision RF filtering comes at a cost of higher precision resistors capacitors and IC's. DC gets around this a little by converting to lower frequencies that are easier to filter with cheaper components. The only true high precision piece of a DC receiver is the crystal. In theory SC can be better than DC if the components are of high enough quality because the frequency conversion process has it's own problems (Generates image signals) The biggest impact on price is how much of a particular thing they're going to sell though.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Basil Yousif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default flight packs

I had only read the first page of the publication in the URL above but after reading a little more I see your point that in the single conversion of frequency can be as good as the Dual conversion of the recieved frequency with 2 less crystals to break.Also the rainge of the JR R700 reciever is no less than the Futaba DC reciever.