Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR DSX9 side sliders

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JR DSX9 side sliders

I want to put flap control onto the side slider of my DSX9 in ACRO mode, anyone know how to do it? it looks like it can only be done in glider mode.

Mike
Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JR DSX9 side sliders

Assuming the DSX9 works the same as the X9303, it can be done by using an auxiliary channel and mixing. In the Device SEL, inhibit the Flap channel. Next pick either AUX2 or AUX3 channel and the side lever with which you want to control the flaps. If you are using conventional flaps, just connect the flaps to that channel

If using flaperons, inhibit that channel. Go to Wing TYPE, and pick Flaperon. In the Function list, pick one of the linear PROG.MIX. Set the master to the AUX channel you chose. Set the slave to FLAP. I assume you would want the flaps controlled full time, so under Pos0 set the amount of flaps travel you want. Check your set up on the MONITOR menu.

Allan
Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the XP9303. One of the first things I learned, because the manual left so much out, was the Default names for the Slider Levers on either side of the 9303 Tx shoulder. The Left Slider is called the Flap Lever. If you wish to use the Flap Lever, instead of the Flap Switch, you can do that in the Flap System. You do not have to Disable Flaps or use Programmable Mixers, at least not on the 9303. If you have separate Flaps and Ailerons, you would not be using the Flaperon program and Aux1 would still be the Flap channel.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

...If you wish to use the Flap Lever, instead of the Flap Switch, you can do that in the Flap System. You do not have to Disable Flaps or use Programmable Mixers, at least not on the 9303. If you have separate Flaps and Ailerons, you would not be using the Flaperon program and Aux1 would still be the Flap channel.
What you say is true and is simpler than my method. But to do it, you have to go into the DeviceSEL menu and set the FLAP to ACT and not SYS. In my 9303 if you leave the FLAP output as SYS, you don't have the option of using the levers. Either way, one of the mixes will have to be used for elevator compensation when the flaps are deployed

Allan
Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks guys this sorted out the problem I was getting, this is my first JR Tx been using Futaba for a long time, I have to say the JR manual does leave a lot out and is not as intuative as the Futaba Zap I have, but then its a much higher spec Tx, but it only trasmitts 8 channels on PPM/2.4Ghz, I don't like Y leads and need 10 channels in reality on my new project and thought the DSX9 with only one Y lead on flaps was the answer, once I have it all set up I will report back what I find as a new JR user.

Perhaps I should have waited for the 12 to be certified in Europe?

Mike
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Thanks guys this sorted out the problem I was getting, this is my first JR Tx been using Futaba for a long time, I have to say the JR manual does leave a lot out and is not as intuative as the Futaba Zap I have, but then its a much higher spec Tx, but it only trasmitts 8 channels on PPM/2.4Ghz, I don't like Y leads and need 10 channels in reality on my new project and thought the DSX9 with only one Y lead on flaps was the answer, once I have it all set up I will report back what I find as a new JR user.

Perhaps I should have waited for the 12 to be certified in Europe?

Mike
As a former 9Z user, I'll tell you that while the X9303 (US version of the DX-9) is a great radio and I liked mine, I missed functions found in the 9Z which were not available with the X9303. I also had to get used to differences in switch assignment capability of the JR vs. Futaba. I don't consider any of this unusal when one realizes that my 9Z cost twice what my X9303 did, so it's a high end radio compared to a mid range radio. There are things I liked about the X9303 better than the 9Z, so it's not in any way all downside when changing from one to the other.

However now that I've been using the 12X, I'm home....

It's too bad they are taking their time getting the 12X certified, but I think you did the right thing as I spent most of last summer not flying my gassers with my DX-7 as I needed 8 channels and the X9303 wasn't out and kept getting pushed back on the delivery dates. Had I known it was going to be that long, I'd have put a module in the 9Z. If you decide on a 12X when they do come out over there, you can always sell the X9303/DX-9 like I did and in the meantime you'll get used to JR programming and the difference in the speed of the control response is noticeable with the native 2.4GHz vs. a module.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
BaldEagel

Zeeb

Like you I love my Zap and I have a Spektrum module in it, its the restricted channels that get to me also, I am seriously thinking of trading the DSX9 in for a Futaba 12 channel and just keep my Zap/Spektrum for the smaller stuff I fly.

Mike
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Zeeb

Like you I love my Zap and I have a Spektrum module in it, its the restricted channels that get to me also, I am seriously thinking of trading the DSX9 in for a Futaba 12 channel and just keep my Zap/Spektrum for the smaller stuff I fly.

Mike
Nothing wrong with that idea other than were it me, I think I'd wait and see what comes out of the discussions about the 6014 rx and failures attributed to heat.

Futaba hasn't really said a lot about this other than to put up some "suggested" install methods, but I've seen way too many posts from guys having real problems with that rx for me to trust a gasser to it at this point.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM
BaldEagel

Zeeb

I know about the heat problems, I have also heard that both the major 2.4ghz suppliers are looking at bringing out lower voltage systems to counteract the heat problem of 2.4Ghz equipment, which it seems they all have in certain respects, this of course will make all the equipement including the servo's we currently use redundant, its to do with the signal voltage requirement of the systems.

Have you heard anything on that?

Mike
Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Zeeb

Mike,

Since our radios are becoming increasingly computerized, it would not surprise me if such were the case as the radio guys are for the most part using "off the shelf" components in the construction. So as the industry changes, so will our radios but I've not seen anything specifically addressing your question.

My beef about things is that when a problem develops Futaba, or actually Hobbico as their representitive here in the USA, has been loathe to admit any possible problem. The zero GUID issue being a classic case where both Robbe and Ripmax were very pro-active in their response while Hobbico flatly denied any possible problem. From what I know about electronic circuits and those I've spoken with about the heat issue, it's a design problem with the chip. Much like Intel did with the infamous overheating 3.4GHz Pentium 4 processors, they cut the voltage in an attempt to control the overheating. Didn't work, so now you have "Duo Core" from Intel where they essentially split the chip in half to resolve the overheating issue.

While there has been quite a bit of acrimony over on FG regarding Summerwind's thread about the issue, there has also been some really good input from guys who know a bunch more about electronics than I ever will, including one guy who did infra-red photography of the boards during operation to identify the heat build up and where it was occuring. I think there is a serious design flaw with that 14 channel rx, but that's my personal opinion.

When folks first started talking about the Spektrum "lock out" issues, it didn't take long for those guys to identify the problem as power brownouts and come up with a fix. As to other heat related issues with the Spektrum stuff, I'm not currently aware of any problems there.

So for me, I think both the DSM2 and the FASST systems will work as advertised and if Futaba had a 7 channel system out when I got the DX-7, I'd have probably stayed with Futaba. But my experience with support and CS from Hobbico/Futaba vs. Horizon/JR is what really pushed me over to the "Dark Side" and I've stayed there even though Futaba does now have the higher channel number systems.

JHMO, YMMV....