Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR DS 8417 Servo - gears seized up

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR DS 8417 Servo - gears seized up

I have 2 JR DS 8417's - one on the elevator and one on the rudder of a 60 size 3D plane. When the plane is on, they both work great - no problems. When the plane is off the elevator one is smooth as silk - so smooth in fact that the elevator falls down due of the weight of it. The rudder servo is different - it is almost locked up - VERY stiff. It barely moves and feels like something is going to break if I push in it too hard. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Jeff
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JR DS 8417 Servo - gears seized up

Hi!
No!
Take the servo apart and have a look! Must be something wrong.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like there may be a broken gear tooth floating around in there. Open it up. Not hard to break off a single tooth on some servos. It can be done by just bumping the rudder into a door jamb, trunk lid or the ground. Takes less pressure than you would think/hope.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gears suspect as mentioned. Could also be a broken boss that holds the gear shafts, i.e. check the case. A hairline crack in the case is nearly undetectable by eye until you flex the case a bit, and that crack would be enough to jamb the gears. But, typically when I see a cracked boss issue it only binds servo motion in one direction, not both ways as I am assuming from your post. Just throwing it out for your consumption.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Goinstraightup

I appreciate the comments. I can give it a check over. I'm slightly disappointed - I bought the best for this application and it was brand new and has less than 20 flights on it. I'm wondering if I should spend the time taking it apart or send it back and see if it's under warranty. Jeff
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It only takes a couple of minutes to open up the servo case and have a look ...so easy!
This hobby is not just about buying things! It's about know-how too Take pride in knowing you can fix things...not send it in to someone else.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Goinstraightup

I finally got a chance to work on this and I got the servo apart no problem. There is no cracks in the case and all the gears are perfect. It is the motor that is stiff, as every thing else moves fine when not attached to the main gear from the motor. I lubed the gears up since I had it apart. I tested it out and it moves the surface great (as always). Is still stiff when no power is to servo, but it moves - just takes a bit of force (quite a bit of force compared to my other 8417 which moves smooth as silk when off). Jeff
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

There is a possibility the amplifier has developed a low resistance on its output. When you force the motor to turn it becomes a generator and any resistance load forces it to generate and resist turning. I would be tempted to send it back to JR for a check.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Goinstraightup

** Update ** Horizon Hobby took care of me. JR service is excellent!!!