Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics RD 6000 ......help!

Old 05-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics RD 6000 ......help!

I recently purchased a RD 6000 from an estate sale...It is reported to be new and unused will all other items no longer available....Just the Tx and manual....Problem...I turned it on and the battery was dead...Charged it 24 hours and got a 2/3 charge...charged it 12 more hours to get full charge....During all of this and now......The radio has an alarm going off.... beep beep...I can not get it to stop...The display shows ID-UP! and TH-Hi!...I can switch between them with the flight mode switch located in upper corners....What is wrong and how do I correct this situation...The radio did not have a crystal when I purchased it but has an FM crystal now...Could that be the problem....The display is showing Heli 3 ..........Richard
Old 05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
ethal86

TH-Hi is your throttle is high. Pull your throttle back to idle.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Richard39

Throttle returned to idle....display remains same and beeping continues....
Old 05-02-2003, 12:41 AM
CP140

I think your switches are in the idle up position...(I'm not a heli guy, so bear with me!) move the toggle switches on the upper left and right corners toward you(up) and move throttle to full down position... should clear the warnings. Do you have the manual? If not, try "Airtronics.net" and download a copy.

Hope it helps!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Richard39

Thanks for the suggestion...I tried it but still have the problem...The odd thing to me is that I have the manual and I can not find any trouble shooting info or assistance....If you think of something else let me know....I believe it has something to do with the Tx being without power for a long time....
Old 05-02-2003, 02:10 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both swtichs on the outside top need to be towards you. Not the ones on the front but the toggle switches that stick straight up. The throttle stick needs to be all the way down. If the throttle stick is 1 notch up the radio will beep like crazy.

There was a thread awhile ago about a guy having his RD not coming out of throttle high mode. He ended up sending it back to Airtronics to get it fixed. It was something about the gimble not setting right and causing the switch to not open.

Dru.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:05 AM
CP140

Blvdbuzzard,

That might have been a thread I started last summer...I did have a problem with the throttle pot assembly on mine. Bringing the throttle all the way down did not clear the "throttle high" warning and I ended up sending it in to Airtronics to have it looked at. From what I could tell of the work order, they replaced the throttle pot assembly.. (it happened a couple of times to mine and Airtronics were nice enough to replace my RD6000 original with a Super complete with servos etc... how's that for customer service!)

Richard39,

Oh yeah... you said you got the manual with it...I should really try this reading thing!

I've just sat down with mine and changed an unused memory location into a Heli (ick!). Here's what should happen. With your radio off, set your throttle to somewhere above idle. Set the two toggle switches down (the ones marked gear/flap or flight mode 2/flight mode 1). Turn your radio on. You should get beeping and a "ID-UP!" warning. Move both switches up, the beeping will continue, but the warning should now say "TH-HI!". Now move the throttle all the way down to idle. The beeping should stop and the "TH-HI!" message should go away. If that doesn't work, I think you might have the same problem I did and may need to send it in to be looked at. The other thing you can try is change your type from heli to airplane, turn radio off, move throttle to above idle, turn radio on. Should get "TH-HI!" warning and beeping. Moving throttle to idle should stop beeping and clear the warning message. If it doesn't...I'd say your throttle assembly needs looked at.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:13 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew some had posted about some thing wrong with there rd. I Hope we have helped a little.

Airtronics has always been good to there customers. I had a radio that fell out of my truck bed while going down the freeway. The gimbles were pushed in and lots of broken plastic. It was a cheap VG4 radio. It still tried to work. It was transmiting but with the broken gimbles it was pretty much toast. I sent it in just to see if it would be cheaper to fix then to replace. I get a call from them and they charged my $65.00 to upgrade to a 6 channel Vanguard.

Dru.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Hiya,
I flew heli's and airplanes with my RD6000 for several years so here are a few things I came accross.

The throttle high and Idle up alarms are really helpful if you fly heli's. The screen should display which condition (or both) is faulted. The switches can be reversed in the etc. menu so normal flight mode can be top switches towards you or away from you.

I would suggest you read the manual section on resetting everything to default settings.

This radio only has dual rates and expo on elev and ail when in the airplane mode. So on my Magic fun fly, I used a heli mode to fly the plane. I had to give up flaperon and coupled elev/flaperon mixing. BUT I gained three flight modes with triple rates and expo on elev/ail/and rudder!
I used another model number to fly the plane in airplane mode.
This radio is pretty good for the most part.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Richard39

Thanks for the great replies.....A friend and I opened the Tx and found damage to two small plastic parts and they had been connected to a spring...We CA the parts, replaced the spring....Installed the correct Tx crystal and lo and beho the thing now works properly....Will test and make decision on what to do with it....The LHS is sending another RD 6000 back for repairs and may send mine with it and a note explaining the problem...We believe that the Tech who installed and built the RD 6000 cranked down to hard on the screws and may have caused cracks that broke later (maybe dropped) Both RD 6000s show small hairline cracks in the same small black plastic parts in the same area that holds one of the springs...Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Spadhawk

Default Thanks

Hi everyone
I was having the exact problem discussed and your thread has
helped me fix my radio in record time. I found the cracked parts and CA'd them and violla..... fixed.
this has to be the greatest resource ever designed
again thank you everyone

I'm going flying
Hawk63