RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Crystals in Futaba Receivers

Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Erich_F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec Crystals in Futaba Receivers

I've been browsing this forum a little, and found two threads where the comment was made that Hitec cyrstals are no good in Futaba receivers.

I guess my 33% Extra and X-cell Fury helicopter are both flying on devine intervention for the past three years? Both of these aircraft are using PCM RXs, 148DP and a 149DP. Both have even been to Hobby services for antenna and ceramic filter changes, WITH the Hitec crystal installed...both came back with the Hitec crystals.

So, it's my belief that this myth is a result of creative and paranioa marketing. If you look at the price differences in the two brands of crystals, it can be understood why.

So, let's add this one to the list of silly debates, like 6V and 4.8V, or the dreaded downwind turn. I'm not an engineer, but a narrow band crystal is a crystal. It's grown in a lab to isolate a certain RF frequency. There's no proprietary magic to these things.

So, unless someone can be certain that God himself has been guiding my aircraft through the skies all this time, I don't see a problem with Hitec crystals in Futaba receivers.

Erich
Old 05-26-2003, 12:43 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is it really worth risking your plane over a $15 crystal? Whether it works or not...
Old 05-26-2003, 02:11 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Considering the true technical specs of the crystals aren't even released by the manufactures it's not provable either way. Unless you're an RF tech.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you believe that "narrow band" is a characteristic of a crystal and that the resonant frequency is the only thing specified for a crystal you're certainly no engineer. So that part of your statement is true.

The advice given is always that it is safer to use the correct crystal. This is true. For example in the 35MHz equipment I use Hitec DC crystals definitely do not work in Futaba receivers. They're a completely different cut.

So as far as I'm concerned you have the same class of argument as the old "I know a guy 95 years old who smoked all his life so that proves smoking can't be harmful". You know of one example of the wrong crystal apparently working o.k. and on that basis are advising people that every other combination will also work.

Very dangerous misapplied logic. Don't believe this person.

Steve
Old 05-26-2003, 02:25 PM
flytlust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default xtal

I use hitec crystals in my futaba rx and tx. no problems. like you say, the price differance is about half. you pay for the name. Its like buying designer jeans/ levi ripoffs.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:30 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: xtal

Originally posted by flytlust
I use hitec crystals in my futaba rx and tx. no problems. like you say, the price differance is about half. you pay for the name. Its like buying designer jeans/ levi ripoffs.
There's one other price you pay - Your insurance agent has just cause to deny your insurance claim if anything ever happens.

Please never come flying at my field. Recievers with crystals from another brand are not welcome.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:24 PM
YZ 250
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys, I have a question.
I have hitec gear (Flash 5X). I want to get a new radio and was looking at Futaba's. Will my Hitec rx's work with Futaba?
Cause when I order rx's I always click on the one that says Hitec/Fut. So I figured it works for both. So now that I'm looking to get a Futaba I just want to be sure. I have to many rx's to replace.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 05-26-2003, 05:37 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you've always ordered the Hitec/Futaba option, yes. It will work fine.