Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo for Piezo gyro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo for Piezo gyro

HI,

I have a Piezo gyro that I would like to install on the rudder in a Spitfire (1.20 size)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHS2&P=7

What servo should I be using? do I have to go digital? what are the specs?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 12:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: servo for Piezo gyro

Any servo that appropriate for the rudder on that size plane, no you don't have to use digital unless you want to.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put one on my second trainer and flew it for a few days, then pulled it out. it got kind of unpredictable in the air. It wasn't that it wasn't working, but it was working all the time. If you decide to put one on your plane, get one that the gain can be adjusted from the TX. Turn it up for landing and down after take off.

Don
Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

digital servo is better and would be more appropiate for this
do get one with gain control-> need some time amd hought for the setup but will work great and you'll come to a cross wind landing like theres no wind

20-40$ gyro is more than ebough

good luck
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__gyro-pi..._nkwuscZpiezzo
Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
vasek

Thanks for the inf guys,

Don, what kind of unpredictable things was it doing in the air?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 AM
vasek

One more question, is there a difference between a heli gyro and a plane gyro?

Most gyros are specified for heli use...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasek

Thanks for the inf guys,

Don, what kind of unpredictable things was it doing in the air?

Well for one, you would put the plane into a turn using ailerons and elevator and the gyro would sense this and try to correct. The other issue was that we tend to get some upper air turblance do to the mountains/hills. You would hit a pocket and it seemed to me that the gyro made it worse. By the time the gyro corrected, the plane was out of hte pocket and the correction was way over corrected.

It did help on take off on my first tail dragger though. You could punch it without touching the rudder and it would only very slightly kick to the left before the rudder got control and then it was straight arrow from there. That is why I suggested a gyro that you could sdjust the gain from the TX. You could setup up a switch or knob on a spare channel and basicly turn on or off the gyro as needed. Of course, those are not the cheap ones, you are looking closer and maybe over $100 for one of those.

You also ask about difference between helo and aircraft. I'm not sure there is, other than I expect that the helo need to be faster and more sensitive response. Just a guess on that part. THe main thing is setting up the physical orentation. If you get it off kilter, when you change pitch, it will try to correct yaw. I found that the best way to set them up was to turn on the RX without the tx on, then watch the action as you turned the plane left or right, physically, not with controls. You can setup you gain to some extent that way also. It is susprising how sensitive these little guys are.

Don