RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ugh..Need a real answer

Old 05-27-2003, 05:31 AM
Stretch0069

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ugh..Need a real answer

This is starting to get a bit crazy, but I'll do my best to re-explain......

I have a Futaba Skysport4 with a R115F receiver (btw, the receiver is not for the USA). The crystals are set for 40.830MHz. The radio was purchased in the Philippines where I used it joyously in my King Tiger tank.

Now I find myself back in the US. Can't find out if I can use the radio on its existing freq. No answer from the FCC. (who uses this freq anyway???) I want to convert it to 75MHz band. I would have liked to do 27MHz, but as per the radio manual, neither the TX or RX will do 27MHz.

So, I contact Futaba. They say it can't be done because of FCC regulations. Near as I can tell, the FCC doesn't give a flip, except that any work done on the radio must be done by properly licensed technicians. I was warned by R/Cers that Futaba would give the standard "You can't convert it. You need to buy a new radio".
Now, the receiver will not go to 75MHZ, so I realize I will have to get the R127DF. (This is the only possible choice since the only other receiver that will work with this TX is the R148DF and it will not go to 75MHz.)
So...with 75MHz crystals and a R127DF receiver, will the radio work? I understand that the TX and RX would have to be tuned to the new freq....well the TX anyway. Granted, for all this to be "legal", the work would have to be done by an FCC licensed tech and be checked out.

I paid a lot for this radio a couple years ago and I sure would hate to just throw it away because I can't use it here and nobody seems to want to buy it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:59 AM
golf_lake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your only hope would be if the same radio model was available in the US and have Futaba convert it by replacing the main board, it would be les expensive than changing all the components that would need to be swapped.

Your only other option would be to Ebay it, and someone from the Asia region buys it, giving you some money to buy a new one.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:11 AM
DavidO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba receivers can be adapted to operate on individual frequencies by changing specified components.
Your receiver is designed to operate on the following frequencies :- 29M, 35M, 40M, 41M, 60M, and 72M. Ten components would require changing to converting up to 72Mhz. No values given for 50M or 53M.

An engineer would require 2.5hrs to complete the job including retuning. This sort of electrical servicing is more akin to surgery when changing SMD devices. Cost of his time would, I'm sure, make this prohibitive.
DavidO
Old 05-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Freq's

Hi Stretch,
Since a King Tiger Tank is a surface vehicle, you must use surface use only freq's in the United States. Take a look here for the frequencies that are approved for surface use >>> http://modelaircraft.org/comp/frequency.htm . I would recomend using 75MHz. 72MHz is for model aircraft only...this is to prevent aircraft from interfence, and also to prevet interference to the surface vehicles. Don't know why the FCC would not respond to this. The problem here looks like the radio cannot be converted to surface only frequencies. Not good news I know...I think golf_lake's advice may be the best solution here. I know it's a PITA. Lots of guys moving from one country to another have these problems all the time. 50 and 53 looks like there is no info on, and requires you to take a test to get a HAM license. 27 and 49 look like they cannot be used on this equipment and are not recomended due to interference, and 75 is the only other one that is left that is approved for model use. Wish this coulda been better news.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 75MHz Skysport 4 complete with receiver and servos only costs a bit over $100. You can find Txs on e-bay for around $30.

Even if it was possible at all it would cost more than that to convert one. Why bother ?

Steve
Old 05-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Stretch0069

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the input.

I finally got a reply from the FCC. They basically said there is no 40MHz R/C band in the US. ( I knew this. What IS on 40MHz??)

I knew that I would have to replace the Rx. The only one I can use is the R127DF.

The only thing was what would have to be done to make the Rx work.

$40 for the new Rx is a lot cheaper than a new Radio ($110 @ an online store I frequent) and I don't need the servos.

Swapping components in the Rx would be no problem. I have the equipment. I also have the time and enjoy boardwork practice. Unfortunately, Futaba won't release schematics. (I wasn't going to do this option anyway )

No biggie. I was just curious about the possibilities. I just hate to let this radio sit. I have the radio advertised in the For Sale forum, but there haven't been any bites. Not suprising being in the US though. Does anyone know of an Asian version of this website???

Great forum, by the way. I'm getting back into the hobby after being out for some 15 years (except for the tank ). A nights reading and I realize that there have been a lot of changes. I'll need to do a bit of catching up.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 40 Mhz

It's the Industrial/Business Radio Pool:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind&bus/index.html
Old 05-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Aero330LX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
RCU is the RC Universe. There are no versions because it encompases all countries and other worlds! OK, maybe we haven't got THEM to subscribe yet , but it is International. Maybe there aren't very many members that can use that frequency, or it could just be a slow sell...I had a radio for sale and got a hit after about 3 months... I forgot I had it for sale, but it sure made my day when it did go. Glad to see you're getting back into the hobby. I've had to take a couple short breaks myself because of moves and things, but I couldn't ever see myself staying away from it forever. I'll fly these things and socialize until I'm not physically able anymore. I hope that is a long long time from now.

THERE IS NO EQUAL TO RCU...SOME IMITATIONS OUT THERE BUT THEY PALE IN COMPARISON! GO RCU!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Stretch0069

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Aero.

Hmmmm....Universe??? Hey, whataya think the chances are of selling that Skysport to a Martian?? Maybe I could swap for a nice disintigrator gun or something. Marvin comes to mind. *laugh*

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I guess the old tank will have to sit for a while. Job market sucks.

My kingdom for a spectrum analyzer.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:53 AM
NZ Scythe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default International Land/Air Frequencies

Hi, This is interesting reading - I wasn't aware that the use of 40mhz wasn't allowed for model aircraft in the US...

Is there a website that lists all the available frequencies for land/air rc models? I am using 40.830 myself and it is very common in New Zealand where I am.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Aero330LX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi NZ,
I brought up the land/air use frequencies. This is the way it is in the US. All countries are different, but the link in my post above shows the frequencies that approved and what they are approved for in the US.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:22 PM
rkingmanila
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aero330: why not sell it back in Asia again. if you know someone who might go back to the Philippines, why not hav him bring it with him. you're surely gonna get more out of it down here and there is quite a demand for second hand stuff ( tx and rx ) right now. there are a number of people who do go to this site from the philippines and just might chance upon your post. better yet you can go to rctech.net. there is a thread there under manila racers (mostly car stuff) but there is a section there for planes. you can post your radio over there. someone just might become interested.