Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9CH FM vs. Futaba 9CH PCM

Old 10-25-2008, 05:00 PM
byakutsuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9CH FM vs. Futaba 9CH PCM

Trying to decide between the two of these at tower hobbies!

Futaba 9CHFS 9-Channel FM Super/4 S3151 Servos $399.99

Futaba 9CHPS 9-Channel PCM Super/4 S9252 Servos $499.99

or any other radios you guys recommend?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9CH FM vs. Futaba 9CH PCM

Is there a reason why you don't want to go with a Spread Spectrum system like Futaba's FASST 10C or JR's X9303 2.4 systems?

After 30 years of flying RC, I am sold on 2.4. I only have 72mhz stuff until I can replace all my 72mhz Rx's
Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
byakutsuki

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Is there a reason why you don't want to go with a Spread Spectrum system like Futaba's FASST 10C or JR's X9303 2.4 systems?

After 30 years of flying RC, I am sold on 2.4. I only have 72mhz stuff until I can replace all my 72mhz Rx's

Are you talking about the Futaba 10C here?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUEW6&P=0

if so, it's just the $$$

can you justify the cost?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned many Futaba radios since 1978. I never had more than one or two at any one time. As the technology changed or I needed more channels, I would make the decision whether or not to upgrade. I did not always buy new radios. Sometimes I would buy slightly used radios.

When I upgraded to the 9CAP, I was disappointed that the 9th channel was only a switch, and not proportional. Also, there were no 9ch PPM Rx's so to go to 9ch at all, I needed to buy the more expensive PCM Rx.

JR came out with the XP9303. I could buy 9ch PPM and PCM Rx's. It had Flaps on a Switch, by default. All 9 channels were Proportional. It had Flight Modes, which essentially give you 3 model memories for each model memory. I bought one of those and for some aircraft, I used all 9 channels.

When Spectrum announce the Spectrum 2.4 Module for the XP9303, I was hooked on 2.4. No RF interference, No Shootdowns, No waiting for the Frequency Pin, No worries about flying near another RC field, No worries about where to put the 36" antenna as the 2.4 antennas are 1" long.

I sold my 9CAP.

I picked up a used XP9303 Tx. Now, I have one with the 72Mhz Synthesizer module and one with the Spektrum 2.4 module

PPM/PCM systems will only go down in value and be harder to get rid of, the longer you wait.

I would look hard at the Futaba 10C Fasst or the JR X9303 2.4
Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
carrellh

The one with PCM receiver has servos that sell for 75 each versus 30 dollar servos in the other package. They have coreless motor, twice as much torque, and are faster.

The PCM receiver sells for 60 more than the PPM receiver.

If you want or need the PCM receiver and the high torque coreless servos, you are getting 240 in "upgrades" for 100.