Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

On-Board Tach/Airspeed Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-Board Tach/Airspeed Indicator

Just curious, has anyone seen an on-board tachometer or airspeed indicator for rc airplane use while in flight? If so, got a link?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: On-Board Tach/Airspeed Indicator

eagletreesystems.com
Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM
tkilwein

I have the eagle tree pro and the elogger.
The pro gives you real time data, the elogger gives it to you after you download it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20239.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1064237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82936.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1064238  
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly enough, a number of my fellow club members took advantage of a sale at Aldi's. I know it is a grocery store, but they have a small cabinet where they advertise some electronics. One near me had a sale on Garmin Foretrex101 wrist GPS devices, for $40. We tale the the wrist strap off and velcro it into any airplane. The only parameters it will capture in the aircraft, are max speed and total miles traveled.

Now if you wore it on your wrist, it gives you access to many more parameters and is useful if you are out in the woods and want to find your way back to a particular waypoint, but for $40, it is cheap and easy way to get max speed in a model aircraft.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 AM
k_caller

Have you checked out Weatronics GPS receiver? You get great results with much more than max speed!
www.weatronics.com
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
CrateCruncher

Thanks for all responses! I fly aerobatics, speed and ballistic pattern mostly. I'm wanting to figure out the relationship between static rpm on the ground and max rpm/airspeed on the wing. While there are pages of static rpm data for every engine and prop imaginable, I can't seem to find where anyone has recorded actual flight data to compare the two conditions. With a little head scratching I think I could also estimate prop efficiencies and drag forces as well.

I'm taking a hard look at the Eagle Tree stuff and I think thats how I want to go. The data logger is a attractive price ($150) vs. $360 for real-time wireless. TKILWEIN, Does the data logger store multiple runs or do you have to download each run onto a notebook PC at the field? Based on your experience, are there any shortcomings (besides the obvious one) to the datalogger only setup?

I would also like to expand it to capture acceleration data for more efficient airframe design at some point. Engine head temperature might be handy for tuning. The altitude and telemetry data I'm not sure I would find a use for. Am I missing something?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The link to weatronics.com does not work.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
tkilwein

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

Thanks for all responses! I fly aerobatics, speed and ballistic pattern mostly. I'm wanting to figure out the relationship between static rpm on the ground and max rpm/airspeed on the wing. While there are pages of static rpm data for every engine and prop imaginable, I can't seem to find where anyone has recorded actual flight data to compare the two conditions. With a little head scratching I think I could also estimate prop efficiencies and drag forces as well.

I'm taking a hard look at the Eagle Tree stuff and I think thats how I want to go. The data logger is a attractive price ($150) vs. $360 for real-time wireless. TKILWEIN, Does the data logger store multiple runs or do you have to download each run onto a notebook PC at the field? Based on your experience, are there any shortcomings (besides the obvious one) to the datalogger only setup?

I would also like to expand it to capture acceleration data for more efficient airframe design at some point. Engine head temperature might be handy for tuning. The altitude and telemetry data I'm not sure I would find a use for. Am I missing something?

You can store multiple runs with no problems, you do have a limit as to time and amount of things monitored. I monitor just a handfull of parameters and get ~3 hours time.
I think they have a memory expansion, need to check.
The downside is when you are up 1-2k high and you move display up and look at it, you can loose your plane, have a second person looking at when you are way up.
The one item they could definatly improve on is have the PCB card line up with the case better as far as connections go.
I am happy with it so far. Just a little pricy.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
CrateCruncher

Here is a direct link to Eagle Tree:[link]http://www.eagletreesystems.com/[/link]

WOW! How did I miss this! It's better than I could have dreamed up. I think I'll start with the $170 Data Logger and upgrade to the wireless real-time for $200 later if I need it.

Here is the weatronic link:[link]http://www.weatronic-usa.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1[/link]

Here is a link to the Garmin Foretrex101 Wrist GPS:[link]http://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=260[/link]
Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
CrateCruncher

ORIGINAL: tkilwein

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

You can store multiple runs with no problems, you do have a limit as to time and amount of things monitored. I monitor just a handfull of parameters and get ~3 hours time.
I think they have a memory expansion, need to check.
The downside is when you are up 1-2k high and you move display up and look at it, you can loose your plane, have a second person looking at when you are way up.
The one item they could definatly improve on is have the PCB card line up with the case better as far as connections go.
I am happy with it so far. Just a little pricy.
Have you installed the RPM sensor? If so, is it photo diode or Hall effect? Was it hard to install? Accurate? I see the Hall needs magnets. That looks like it could be tough to do on a small glow engine. I would like to monitor 2 rpm channels on my twin.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
tkilwein

Have two temps and rpm, both work fine and easy to install.
RPM needs a magnet sensor. They do have a optical sensor, you need to see if it works on the pro recorder.
I have that one on the elogger. Both report good numbers compared to two other tacks.
Download the manual and see if two rpm sensors, I think there is but not sure of right now.
Give them a call, they are very good on phone support, I called and they answered every question I had.