Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter voltage?

This is a little embarrassing but I am just getting back into the hobby after being out for many years and I have forgotten a few "101's" of RC. My 12x, after being fully charged, read something like 11.4V. Then, immediately after fully charging, I turned it off and I let it sit in its case for exactly one week without being turned on. I just turned it on today and it reads 10.4v. It has the stock battery in there, is this normal? Thanks! -Steve
Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter voltage?

Steve. I just pulled my TX off the charger and turned it on. 11.4V. I've got a 2100MAH NIMH battery. I was playing with some mix setups for about five minutes then turned it off. Saw your post and turned it back on to see the voltage. It is now at 10.8V. With the capacity of this battery, It will hold this platau for several days of low activity flying. When it drops to 10.1 or so, I recharge. It sounds as if yours is doing OK.

If you have a cycler, I would cycle it and see what the capacity is just to make sure.

Don
Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I did a test with my 10X, 12X and 8103. The 10X and 12X read consistently .3V lower than actual and the 8103 reads .2V higher than actual voltage. The 10X and 12X give the impression of voltage dropping faster than normal but it is really the internal voltage showing lower than actual. You might check your with a good voltmeter to confirm this with your radios.

Forgot to mention that you need to use a loaded voltmeter to compare voltage correctly since the TX obviously is under load when it is turned on. My voltmeter has a 300mah load which seems close for reading a TX battery.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks guys for the help. -Steve
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

NiMHs will slowly self-discharge.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Nicads will discharge at about 1 to 2 % per day, NiMh at twice that rate. Your transmitter should work fine as long as the voltage stays above 8.8 volts. At 10.6, you have not used hardly any of the stored energy. You will find it will hold at about 9.2 volts for over an hour of constant use once it falls to that value. If you are located where you can leave the transmitter on until the voltage falls to 8.8 volts (still a safe flying value) with the antenna up, give it a full charge and see how long it takes to drop to 8.8 volts. Do not run for extended time (more than a minute or two) with the antenna collapsed as that heats up the output stage and will lower the lifetime and sometimes cause actual failure. Of course, with the antenna up, be sure you are not interfering with anyone else on that frequency.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I left my TX on after doing the volt checks earlier. OK, I forgot it was on. I came back in from the garage and my wife ask me what was beeping, what did I have on in the garage? She finally traced it down to my TX setting next to the PC. The one I forgot to turn off. The voltage reading was at 7.0v The alarm was going nuts, I could even hear it if I put my ear close. I turned it off and put it right on the wall wart charger. I just finished dinner and though, I wonder how long it took to drain to 7.0V. Well, the answer was 4 hours and 53 minutes. I'm not sure you could fly at 7.0 volts, but It gives you an idea of battery life. I'm sure at 7.0V the curve was getting steep.

Don