RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

computer radio?

Old 05-29-2003, 10:11 PM
bronc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

O.k. guys or gals(need to be correct these days) I am looking into my first computer radio. I know it is an old discussion but a little help please. I currently use a Futaba Conquest and a Skysport 4 but am leaning towards computer for a little exponential flying. Since I currently run Futaba I had thought about staying with them or something compatibale. But do I need PCM or not? Just a little steering in the right direction would help. thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 05:33 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Futaba's 6 channels are good intro level computer radios. The 9c would be a better bet if you think you're going to want the more advanced functions eventually.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:39 AM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Yeah Bronc I agree with Lynx if you are going to fly bigger and better planes I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the Futaba 9CAP. I currently have a Skysport 4 too and I am going to get the 9CAP. I figure I am going to end up getting it anyway so why not spend the extra $200 to get it then to by the 6 channel for $200 and then turning around later on and spend another $400 for the 9 channel.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

PCM is nice, but you don't need it if you don't want it. FM works fine. I like PCM because if someone turns on and you are flying, 9 times out of 10 you won't know they turned on. I have had that happen a few times and if I were flying FM I would have been shot down. PCM is great if you can justify it. I use it for most of my planes. Like I said though, You don't have to have it if you don't want it. FM works fine too.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:10 PM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

I agree with you Flyboy, you don't need PCM but if you are flying a real expensive plane (not that they are all not real expensive) you definently don't want to get shot down. When I get my 35% P-51 done I am definently going to use PCM.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:09 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

briankenney91

You are right. Thats why most of mine are PCM. I like the safety and it is easy to justify it for me.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:18 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Originally posted by FLYBOY
PCM is nice, but you don't need it if you don't want it. FM works fine. I like PCM because if someone turns on and you are flying, 9 times out of 10 you won't know they turned on.
That's what frequency boards are for. Newcomers need to be educated to use proper etiquette.

Also, that's where the new Tracker II from Polk's Hobbies is great. When it is turned on, it will not engage the RF circuit untill it has confirmed that the selected channel is not in use or experiencing interference. It is my first computerized radio, I love it, and strongly recommend it to anyone who is ready to move on to their 2nd / 3rd /etc radio. My ONLY real complaint is the lack of a trainer port for teaching others. Supposedly the next revision will have one.

Also, if the only reason you're considering PCM is to fly gassers, remember that gassers were flown LONG before PCM existed.

For a thorough overview of the Tracker II, read the thread "There is a Tracker II", where owners (like me) have discussed it in detail..
Old 05-30-2003, 04:41 PM
adrian-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

try to buy a top of the range radio, why, we have so many 4/5/6 channel radios and we can get very little for them because every time we bought a new plane we needed to upgrade radio, we are living in the 3d/funfly/4 servo's in the wing era so please try to get a top of the range and you wont be sorry.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:56 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Originally posted by strato911

That's what frequency boards are for. Newcomers need to be educated to use proper etiquette.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't argue this with you, but the only times I have had problems, it was with the older modelers (meaning flying time not age) that turned on when I was in the air. I see more of that than new people shooting someone down. I see more vetran pilots do it than newbies for some reason.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:10 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Another vote for the 9c. It is my second radio as well. Easy to program and use, does just about everything. As far as the PCM vs. FM question, the 9c does both, just depends on the receiver that you buy.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Go for PCM.

It's not about saving the plane, it's about saving the person in the plane's path.....
Old 05-31-2003, 04:33 AM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

Originally posted by Jim_McIntyre
It's not about saving the plane, it's about saving the person in the plane's path.....
My sentiments as well. I wish Polk's hadn't removed the failsafe from the Seeker Rx.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:30 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default computer radio?

It'd be nice if the industry would just head this kind of stuff off. Just compare tx's rx's with the emerging wireless standards. 802.11b hasn't been out very long yet and they've already come up with 802.11g which is has intelligent frequency detection and changes to the best possible frequency given what's going on in the environment around it. The lack of technology progress in the RC industry is apathetic to say the least. The hobby sort of holds itself back, rather irritating. The actual cost of high tech stuff is negligible compared to the costs of developing it. They just can't make enough money off of mass sales to warrant the development costs.