Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RDS8000 on flight sim

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
confuzshuz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS8000 on flight sim

Has anyone successfully connected their rds8000 to the computer to use for flight sim? I wanna use it for FMS.
If you have, can you teach me how?

Thanks

Update: I found a solution. Cable instructions can be found here: [link]http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp[/link]
Click on "Cables." Locate the 5-Pin DIN section, and click on "Airtronics."
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RDS8000 on flight sim

Model Rectifier (MRC) offers an Airtronics flight sim cable for their Reflex XTR simulator that should work fine with the RDS8000:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=7948

This should allow you to use your RDS8000 with any flight sim that doesn't require a serial-matched control box to operate (in other words, any sim except Real Flight).
Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
confuzshuz

AHHH....I thank you for this input. Now, I just gotta find one locally so I can try out.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
confuzshuz

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Model Rectifier (MRC) offers an Airtronics flight sim cable for their Reflex XTR simulator that should work fine with the RDS8000:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=7948

This should allow you to use your RDS8000 with any flight sim that doesn't require a serial-matched control box to operate (in other words, any sim except Real Flight).
It turns out that the plug end is a mini usb that needs to be plugged into a bluetooth dongle, which would be similar to a control box. I'm not sure that this will work.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:06 PM
bigedmustafa

Oh, good catch! MRC has surprisingly little information about this harness on their website.

How about the Ikarus adapter (part number IK31047) for APD and Easy Fly 3? Perhaps Hobby Lobby can confirm that their cable will work?

That MRC part should still work so long as you adapt the mini-USB connector to a standard USB adapter. You'd only need to the dongle portion to actually work with Reflex XTR, the harness (with mini-USB to USB adapter) should work fine for FMS, Clearview, and the like.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM
confuzshuz

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Oh, good catch! MRC has surprisingly little information about this harness on their website.

How about the Ikarus adapter (part number IK31047) for APD and Easy Fly 3? Perhaps Hobby Lobby can confirm that their cable will work?

That MRC part should still work so long as you adapt the mini-USB connector to a standard USB adapter. You'd only need to the dongle portion to actually work with Reflex XTR, the harness (with mini-USB to USB adapter) should work fine for FMS, Clearview, and the like.
unfortunately it also has a control box. and I think these would be for the older airtronics, if anything.

Damn, Maybe I should have gotten a futaba radio instead.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 PM
bigedmustafa

The control box isn't a deal breaker. I fly FMS and Clear View with my Real Flight Interlink controller all the time.

Just because it has extra bits for working with an expensive flight sim doesn't mean it won't work perfectly fine with a sim that doesn't need it.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM
confuzshuz

Oh, I got working. $6 in parts. I made my own plug. I'm using my computer's sound card and smartpropoplus.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
bigedmustafa

Very cool, confuzshuz! You might add some details as to exactly what you did to this thread. Others might find it handy if they search for this same question and find your post.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
confuzshuz

FMS Home made cable for newer style Airtronics radio solution:

How-to, along with the necessary program can be found in the following website: [link]http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp[/link]
There are detailed instructions and pictures available, therefore I posted the link. These cables go hand in hand with the free smartpropoplus program. Go to the section labeled "Cables." Then go to 5-Pin DIN, and choose Airtronics. Instructions for other brand radios are also available.