Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using 2 Rx with 1 Tx (Futaba)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:01 PM
panzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 2 Rx with 1 Tx (Futaba)

I have a pair of Tamiya RC tanks that I want to control with my Futaba 4VF Skysport transmitter. The radio came with one Futaba FP-R127DF 'dual conversion' FM 7-channel receiver with channel 72 (75.630 Mhz) surface frequency, which I plan to install into one of the tanks. I would to purchase a second receiver with an identical crystal to install into the second tank, which will hopefully allow the transmitter to control both tanks (at different times, of course).

I am new to RC and am wondering if this type of setup is possible, advisable or am I better off just getting another entire radio setup for the second tank..I believe that there will be some 'tuning' of the system for each different tank but feel that this will be a cost-effective method of controlling the two tanks.

To anyone with experience or comments on this approach or setup, I would truly appreciate advice, tips or feedback about this concept.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Should work fine, airplane owners do this all the time.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:16 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sure

Yes you can buy a second 'Flight Pack' and use it on the other tank. The only down side to that is as you suspected when you said some 'Tunning' with each tank. Of course this tunning will have to be reset each time you switch tanks.

If you get a new radio don,t waste your money on another 'plane Jane unit' Intead get a computer type of which most will store five to eight model setups and one even 99.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:34 PM
panzer

Default Futaba 9CAP

Thanks for the reply John. I have been considering a Futaba 9CAP which I believe will store the settings for several models. Any opinions on this radio?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:34 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I would commit to the 9C I would first check to see if a 75 single frequency module is avaliabe for it which I beleive there is. It is a very capable radio with the only down side being in order to change frequencys at a competitive event you would have to buy additional rather expensive modules on another frequency. I believe it has storage for eight models.

My preference would be for two others that are just as capable in your application at slightly less cost but offer the tremendous advantage of synthesized operation. This is the ability to change frequencys at will (legally) in just a few moments without a bunch of expensive modules or returning for a retunning.

The first is the Hitec Eclipse 7 with 75Mhz Spectra module or the older Prism 7X with the 75Mhz module. The Eclipse has storage for have storage for seven models. The almost as capable Prism has only three model storage but the advantage of a discontinued model is quite inexpensive on the used market. In that case you would by the Tx and just pop for a new 75 Spectra module. With the Spectra system to change channels you just pop out the module and dial in the new frequency and put the matching crystal in the Rx. Crystals are relatively cheap.

The next choice would be the new Tracker 11/ Seeker system sold by Polks Hobbies in N. Y. This radio in fully synthesized meaning you just punch up the frequency desired and the Rx will automatically adjust. One huge advantage to this system is it has storage for 99 models.

In the united States Radio systems are sold with either negative or positive shift which means only rx's of the same shift are compatble with your tx. Both the Tracker and Hitec have a feature called 'Shift Select' that makes them compatble with all brands of FM Rx's. I am not sure the 9C has this so if you go that route I definately research that because it is a huge advantage as you mature into the sport and possibly even explore other venues such as aircraft.

John