Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

I just a little curious about something; have any of you seen the SD-10G reviewed anywhere except in Model Airplane News? Why is such a fantastic radio system such a well-kept secret?

Just curious...
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is an RCU review in the works. Actually I thought it would have been done by now.
    There's also a nice video review series at helifreak.com by finlessbob
    Mike Greenshields - Product Manager
    Airtronics - Global Hobby Distributors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new SD-10G system and bought it from VQ. I had an issue with the wall charger and having it being able to properly charge my Tx battery. My battery would not take a charge, or hold on to a charge very long. So I pulled the battery out, and put it on a slow charger for 24 hours, then put it onto a conditioner, and cycled the battery four times this way. I was told that after I did this, the wall charger should properly charge the battery. My wall charger has a light that glows red and green and turns green when fully charged.

I'm now setting up the first model for this Tx, and will fly a new P-51B I'm now finishing up. I'm learning to program this Tx, and not as simple as the RDS8000...but this Tx has many more features to play with. I only wish there was at least one two position swith some where for retracts. All my switches are three position...may be I can send it in for a two position switch latter on. But for now, I'm a happy camper.
    Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

I have a new SD-10G system and bought it from VQ. I had an issue with the wall charger and having it being able to properly charge my Tx battery. My battery would not take a charge, or hold on to a charge very long. So I pulled the battery out, and put it on a slow charger for 24 hours, then put it onto a conditioner, and cycled the battery four times this way. I was told that after I did this, the wall charger should properly charge the battery. My wall charger has a light that glows red and green and turns green when fully charged.

I'm now setting up the first model for this Tx, and will fly a new P-51B I'm now finishing up. I'm learning to program this Tx, and not as simple as the RDS8000...but this Tx has many more features to play with. I only wish there was at least one two position swith some where for retracts. All my switches are three position...may be I can send it in for a two position switch latter on. But for now, I'm a happy camper.
    Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    you can turn one of the three position switches into a two by programming centre and one extreeme as being the same...so when you pull the switch all the way to you it is down and either a one click or two click push will take the wheels up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In a release from the airtronics Tech department they stated that they tested the 10 ch. Rx with unregulated 2 cell LiPo battery with no ill effects so the answer is yes you can use up to 7.4 volts without a problem with the 10 ch Rx. The notice was recent so it's is not in the manual yet, If you need to verify check with the airtronics web site tech notes shown below.
    By the way I've been flying R/C for about 35 year and never felt as good about a radio as I do with the SD-10G, such a great value with top notch performance.

"April 2010 Announcement:
    Sanwa Engineers Approve 92104 10CH Receiver's 2S Li-Po Rating"

"Details: After months of testing and re-testing, Sanwa Engineers have given the OK for the 92104 10CH Receiver to be used with a 2S Li-PO direct."

"Originally the receiver was only rated for the 4.8v to 6.6v nominal voltage range (4 cell Ni-MH to 2s Li-FE/A123 cells). However, after testing the receiver in a variety of environments, we're happy to announce that this receiver maintains it's stability even at higher voltage input. 2S Li-PO input voltage does not void the warranty and will not reduce the life, performance, range, or stability of this receiver."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I have to ask. If you had to choose one radio. Would it be the 10G or The new Spektrum DX8?
    I currently have two airtronics 8000's 2.4, a HK 7 chan. V-2 TX, and a Spektrum DX5. Rest are no name some 72's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay aydin3,
    I set up my new VQ P-51B with tripple rates on all three main flight controls. I found that the center setting on the rate switches worked out perfect for me and much more to my liking then the old two position switch I've flown for 25 years. The programing takes some time, but workable for me. I worked out my battery issue with the unit and I'm getting to like this Tx as much as my RDS8000 Tx.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe the airtronics 10-sg is a great value. So far it has been rock solid and it is fast. My son is still a Spectrum guy ( he's 29 yrs ) but you know the kids get smarter than their dad when they hit 16, but so far he can't say anything negative about the 10-SG (secretly I think he's impressed and just won't admit it). there are so many reasons to recomend this radio with the new 10 ch Rx that i can't write them all down. I think you'll be IMPRESSED. You only need one Rx too no satalite Rx's.
    I just noticed that your in Warwick, RI, that's my home town my wife and I moved to florida in 1887. I belonged to the club that flew on Division Rd. the "Rhode Island Aeromodlers" I was flying there when the National Guard made the runways for us many years ago. That was a great field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DKMILLETTE

....I just noticed that your in Warwick, RI, that's my home town my wife and I moved to florida in 1887. .....]
    Now you have been flying a LOOOONNNGGGGG time!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You bet. so I know a thig or two about flying. But not as good as I used to be. My son can fly better than me. That's why he flies UAV's for the military contractors. He has been to Iraq and Afghanistan, and I was a UAV Tech in Afghanistan in 2007.
    FUN PLACE to be at 61 years old. Vietnam was easier and I was only 20 then

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew UAVs in Iraq in 2006 as a contractor. I flew for the British in 2007.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JeffH

ORIGINAL: DKMILLETTE

....I just noticed that your in Warwick, RI, that's my home town my wife and I moved to florida in 1887. .....]
    Now you have been flying a LOOOONNNGGGGG time!!!

1887 LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went with a duralite 2 cell pack myself, I love this radio. I'm still trying to get comfortable with it in my hands compared to my Futaba 10C but then it takes 2 days for me to get comfortable when the wife takes my SUV and changes the seat settings :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I was in the Army National at Quonsett Point RI. in the 80's My Air Cav unit went to Fort Bragg South Carolina for two summers (annual training) I was a crew chief on a HUEY Helicopter (The same ones I flew in Vietnam.) We always kicked ass with all our veteran pilots. They never invited us back for a third year. Sore losers.

sorry to bend your ear

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using the SD-10G for a while now and still getting use to the size over the RDS8000. I've recently gotten into electrics and have a question. The TURNIGY 85a SBEC I'm using lets you use the throttle stick to enter the programming mode. With the throttle stick in the max position you plug your ESC to the LIPO and it will enter the programming mode. You lesson for the tones and move the throttle stick to the low position once you want to make a change. It doesn't seem to save the change once I move the throttle stick to low and power everything down and turn it back on. Is there something I need to change on the throttle settings on the TX?
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try turning off the high throtle alarm in the system settings maybe that keeps the Tx from sending the full throttle signal. That's all I can think of right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi,

I'm only guessing on this because I haven't checked it out. But ........ Are you powering your receiver from the BEC? If so, then you are powering up your receiver when you plug the battery into the BEC. It may be that your receiver doesn't want to be powered up with the transmitter at full throttle. Check with the Airtronics Technical Advisor on this. He may advise you to power the receiver from a separate battery so the receiver can be turned on with the transmitter at low throttle and then you can plug it the ESC with the throttle stick at MAX.

Let us know what you find out. We all get smarter by listening to other people's experiences.

Dick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have not programmed the turnigy but usually once you are done with the setting input, you then have to go through a sequence to tell the esc to save the setting.

I went through this when I was programming the older X'TRA brand esc's. They were programmed in the same manner. Turns out after you were all done with the setting, you then had to go through an input sequence to tell the esc to keep the settings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the input guys. I found out what was wrong. I had the same TURNIGY 85a ESC in my Toledo Special so I tryed that one just to see if I would get the same chattering at startup and it ran fine. No issues at all so I guess the other ESC is bad even though it is new. Now I can maiden my Eratic 3D.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MikeGreenshields, or anyone else ... I'm considering the SD-10G. I need to know a couple things. If I get it i'd like to use the Hobbico LiFe Source 6.6v LiFeP04 rx battery on it. This battery has two universal connectors on it that can both be plugged into a receiver's bus. Will plugging one lead into the power bus and the other ... anywhere there's an open slot be OK? I read where it's now rated up to 7.4 volts unregulated which is great. I currently fly a JR X9303 2.4ghz with the Specktrum AR9100 power bus receiver with 14 awg running from my A123 dual batteries into it. Would just like to know if the Airtronics 10 channel RX is as robust and able to accommodate this setup equally as well?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ATX receivers are a-ok with A123 cells. The 10ch receiver can also handle 2S lipo direct unregulated (although most servos cannot handle that much voltage).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MikeGreenshields

The ATX receivers are a-ok with A123 cells. The 10ch receiver can also handle 2S lipo direct unregulated (although most servos cannot handle that much voltage).
    Ok, I'm a bit green on Airtronics equipment. What are the ATX receivers? I assume this line is different from what would be standard for Airtronics?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, just my shorthand. ATX=Airtronics

All Airtronics 2.4GHz receivers. RX500, RX600, RX700, 8ch, 10ch, and the RX60 Park Flyer receiver all handle A123 cells ok.

The 10ch FHSS3 receiver can ALSO use 2cell Lipo.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ATX is shorthand for Airtronics
    Team YS, Team Airtronics
    Pattern Junkie, Revver Brother #82, Gear Head

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am looking to replace the gimbals on the radio. Has anybody found any options or do you know what thread fits. I tried some off a JR and they didn't work.

I have been running the 10ch with 2X A123 2300s on a gasser with no issues.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast