Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

ORIGINAL: Slats!

I am looking to replace the gimbals on the radio. Has anybody found any options or do you know what thread fits. I tried some off a JR and they didn't work.

I have been running the 10ch with 2X A123 2300s on a gasser with no issues.
What's wrong with the gimbals? The gimbals are like the mouse on your computer, your human link. What's with the gimbals?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

Relax, There is nothing wrong with the gimbals. Nothing at all.

I tried a radio out with some meant for "thumb" fliers that I loved on the weekend. If it was a JR/Futaba/Hitec I would still be looking for these.

Go grab the radio see how you like it. Its all the feel. This thing will out program anything out there it is a joke to use, so simple.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Mitsu1

I might just do that. Take a 20 minute drive over to the nearest hobby shop and see if they have a SD-10G on hand. My X9303 has been just super for me, but I like trying new stuff all the time.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Slats!

I set out looking at a totally different radio and once I had it in my hands I had to pass. I didn't realize how different they all are.

I really rec. it with this one, for me its perfect. For my buddy he thinks its too thick.... Its a personal thing.

All and all this radio will do anything you ask of it. For the money its hard to beat the programming.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 AM
DKMILLETTE

Who did you work for in Iraq? I was with Navmar in Afghanistan with the Army SF
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked for one of the companies in the same family as NAVMAR.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Mitsu1

I set out looking at a totally different radio and once I had it in my hands I had to pass. I didn't realize how different they all are.

I really rec. it with this one, for me its perfect. For my buddy he thinks its too thick.... Its a personal thing.

All and all this radio will do anything you ask of it. For the money its hard to beat the programming.
Either I read or saw on YouTube that this radio feels good if you have big hands. Well, I have big hands. I gotta get over and try one.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Slats!

Me to and I love the feel of it. I tried the 8FG and it felt way too thin.

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

Either I read or saw on YouTube that this radio feels good if you have big hands. Well, I have big hands. I gotta get over and try one.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
bluzjamer

I ended up grabbing a Hitec Aurora A-9 TX...price was right and I just love the screen. I want to get the ATX SD-10G also but would like to see one in person first. None of the LHS in R.I. carry it. They all have their Spektrums though. Never was one to follow the pack I guess. Tower Hobbies is still jerking everyone around on the SD. They keep changing the price the wrong way, they push back the in stock date every month, and on one link they even say it is discontinued...(discountinued before they even get it makes a lot of sense don't it). What kind of JackWagons they hiring at these places?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Mitsu1

I might be mistaken, but I think Global Hobby Distributors are now the suppliers of the Airtronics line and that might be why it says "discontinued" on Tower's site. Seems I read something along that line recently.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM
103/17

Why wouldnt you just buy an SD-10G from Hobby People ? They always have them in stock and they have the best support in my opinion. Thats where I got mine and its been fantastic for the two seasons I have flown it.

103/17
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Mitsu1

ORIGINAL: 103/17

Why wouldnt you just buy an SD-10G from Hobby People ? They always have them in stock and they have the best support in my opinion. Thats where I got mine and its been fantastic for the two seasons I have flown it.

103/17
I have one hopefully arriving today. What are you flying with yours? Are there any tips for flying giant scale with the 92104 10 channel rx? I've got an almost brand new JR X9303 with AR9100 Power Safe Rx flying a 33% Yak that's doing just fine, but I always like to try new stuff, and this radio caught my eye.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
mschulz531

I agree...Hobby People is the best place to get Airtronics equipment.
I bought my RDS 8000 from them, and I hope to be able to get an SD-10G after the first of the year.
-Mike
Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Mitsu1

ORIGINAL: bluzjamer

I ended up grabbing a Hitec Aurora A-9 TX...price was right and I just love the screen. I want to get the ATX SD-10G also but would like to see one in person first. None of the LHS in R.I. carry it. They all have their Spektrums though. Never was one to follow the pack I guess. Tower Hobbies is still jerking everyone around on the SD. They keep changing the price the wrong way, they push back the in stock date every month, and on one link they even say it is discontinued...(discountinued before they even get it makes a lot of sense don't it). What kind of JackWagons they hiring at these places?
Despite all the great things and pluses the A9 has, ... I just couldn't get over that exposed cable on the back of the TX. Surely they must have known they'd lose a certain number of potential buyers by having their TX case look like where we all started about 4 years ago .
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Tower Hobbies appeared to not be selling a lot of the SD-10g radios with the 10 channel 94104 FHSS receivers. They discontinued that particular product sku and are swtiching to the less expensive SD-10g bundle with the RX700 receiver. These are on pending status along with the new SD-6g radio systems.

I bought one of my RDS8000 radios from Tower, and one from Hobby People. They're both great to order from. I tend to favor Tower Hobbies, however, as I enjoy free shipping and my Super Saver Club discounts.

I bought my SD-10g from Hobby People last July to get in at $349.99 before the price increase happened. I love my SD-10g. I sure wouldn't blame anyone for shopping hard and looking closely at the Aurora 9. It's nice to see Airtronics and Hitec with such strong offerings and such innovative radios.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Slats!

No tips on large scale its just easy to set up. I am running 2X A123s to a Fromeco Wolverine Switch to the 10chl RX. I would just say don't use the stock Airtronics switch on the gas..

As for the Hitec its a great radio but they took for EVER to come out with the 9chl RX and I wanted a dedicated 2.4 system, non modual with a wire out the back. I don't think you could go wrong with either radio, although I have kinda stopped following the Hitec thread so I am not sure if there have been issues or not.

ORIGINAL: 103/17

103/17
I have one hopefully arriving today. What are you flying with yours? Are there any tips for flying giant scale with the 92104 10 channel rx? I've got an almost brand new JR X9303 with AR9100 Power Safe Rx flying a 33% Yak that's doing just fine, but I always like to try new stuff, and this radio caught my eye.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Mitsu1

No tips on large scale its just easy to set up. I am running 2X A123s to a Fromeco Wolverine Switch to the 10chl RX. I would just say don't use the stock Airtronics switch on the gas..
Good, I run 2X A123s on my present JR/Spektrum AR9100 setup. I take it you don't have the large gauge Deans leads on your batteries? Are you running one battery to the battery port and the other to a spare channel?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I use the large JR switch on all my aircraft and helis. One of the things I love about my SD-10G is the ability to set up a 9 point throttle curve on a gas engine. Some gas engines are notorious for going to half throttle when the butterfly on the carb opens a small bit. With the throttle curve, you can compensate for that.

I also use stick switch programming a lot. With a stick switch you can program a lot of nifty functions. I set up the opto kill switch channel on a gas engine so it only deactivates when the engine is at idle and the kill switch button is depressed. Above a certain throttle position, the kill switch has no effect.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Slats!

Thats a great idea maybe people can share some of their neat mixes. What are people doing for C Mixes.

I have spoilers activated on a stick switch that they only come on when I am at a quarter throttle. Its for a fast plane that needs them on landing.

Putting a stick switch on the timer works great as well.

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

I use the large JR switch on all my aircraft and helis. One of the things I love about my SD-10G is the ability to set up a 9 point throttle curve on a gas engine. Some gas engines are notorious for going to half throttle when the butterfly on the carb opens a small bit. With the throttle curve, you can compensate for that.

I also use stick switch programming a lot. With a stick switch you can program a lot of nifty functions. I set up the opto kill switch channel on a gas engine so it only deactivates when the engine is at idle and the kill switch button is depressed. Above a certain throttle position, the kill switch has no effect.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Slats!

I use the Fromeco 2XA123 2300s with the Fromeco Wolverine fail safe, battery share switch. The batteries have a fairly low gauge wire with deans plugs that go 2X (separate) to the Wolverine, than its two separate low gauge out of the switch (with deans) that are connected to a higher gauge that plug into the RX. Yah maybe it defeats the purpose going a low gauge into a high but its full capacity almost to the point of the RX. The diff with JR is my understanding you can go with a pretty low gauge (EC3) into the RX. I have never had an issue with it... If you want pictures I can post them but I use the two lower inputs in the rx.

Good, I run 2X A123s on my present JR/Spektrum AR9100 setup. I take it you don't have the large gauge Deans leads on your batteries? Are you running one battery to the battery port and the other to a spare channel?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Here's another: Program a stick switch so the flaps and gear will only be operational below a certain throttle setting. In the event of a go-around situation, advancing the throttle will bring up the gear and flaps automatically.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Mitsu1

>>

Slats, I didn't get my radio in today as I had hoped but I'm at this point a bit torn. I really like the features of the SD-10G as I've studied, but I also really like the receiver/power arrangement of my Spektrum AR9100. Those lower gauge 14awg leads coming from the A123s and plugging directly into the EC3 14awg leads going directly into the receiver seems and feels so robust. It works and works well on my 33% Yak. I wonder if you're shooting yourself in the foot to take the 14awg leads from the battery and adapt/reduce them down to 22awg just to be able to plug into the Airtronics receiver? Is there a bottleneck in doing so? It sure looks like there should be.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Slats!

Well not to sound like an ***** but I think you are shooting yourself in the head for not using a power expander in anything over 30%. I am planning for the future my next plane will be a 33-35% (next summer or winter) and I will be using this with a smartfly system.

Too many times I have bought what I need and then had to rebuy it agian to upgrade...

>>

Slats, I didn't get my radio in today as I had hoped but I'm at this point a bit torn. I really like the features of the SD-10G as I've studied, but I also really like the receiver/power arrangement of my Spektrum AR9100. Those lower gauge 14awg leads coming from the A123s and plugging directly into the EC3 14awg leads going directly into the receiver seems and feels so robust. It works and works well on my 33% Yak. I wonder if you're shooting yourself in the foot to take the 14awg leads from the battery and adapt/reduce them down to 22awg just to be able to plug into the Airtronics receiver? Is there a bottleneck in doing so? It sure looks like there should be.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Mitsu1

Well not to sound like an ***** but I think you are shooting yourself in the head for not using a power expander in anything over 30%. I am planning for the future my next plane will be a 33-35% (next summer or winter) and I will be using this with a smartfly system.

Too many times I have bought what I need and then had to rebuy it agian to upgrade...

>>

I'm currently flying a Spektrum AR9100 PowerSafe receiver. The very design of this receiver is to eliminate the need for a power expander or any regulators! So what you are saying is that I should expect to use a power expander to use the ATX 92104 receiver. That will be a problem foir me as I believe in keeping it as simple as possible. The only thing I don't like about my AR9100 PowerSafe system is the fact that it's DSM2 instead of FHSS. Spektrum is clearly ahead with it's AR9100 which allows you to go straight to the receiver from the dual A123 batteries without any switch in the path. The switch that powers up the receiver is designed that if it ever breaks, it does so by defaulting to the "ON" position, which means you just can't cut the system off without unplugging the batteries. Looks like ATX has a great transmitter but needs to do more to accomodate giant scale planes. There shouldn't be a NEED for a power expander when it can be addressed by the manufacturer at the receiver. JR/Spektrum have shown this.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 AM
103/17

Mitsu 1,

No matter how you cut it the only thing I would fly on DSM2 is a foam micro inside a gym ! I was with JR for 20+ years ever since purchasing my fist 347 TX which was an awesome system for its time. You could say I bled JR red ! I switched bacause I have no confidence in the DSM2 set ups. I have seen no issue with the FHSS systems at our field while there have been too many DSM2 problems......way too many ! I dont need to start the debate, I already switched systems and it wasnt cheap to make the switch as I was in pretty deep with JR stuff. I am sure you can make the ATX system work and your plane will be safer for it. If you dont buy the ATX system then go for another 2.4 FHSS. Even JR is about to make the switch to FHSS with their new 7 channel they just released. Go check it out.

103/17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.