Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

ORIGINAL: 103/17

Mitsu 1,

No matter how you cut it the only thing I would fly on DSM2 is a foam micro inside a gym ! I was with JR for 20+ years ever since purchasing my fist 347 TX which was an awesome system for its time. You could say I bled JR red ! I switched bacause I have no confidence in the DSM2 set ups. I have seen no issue with the FHSS systems at our field while there have been too many DSM2 problems......way too many ! I dont need to start the debate, I already switched systems and it wasnt cheap to make the switch as I was in pretty deep with JR stuff. I am sure you can make the ATX system work and your plane will be safer for it. If you dont buy the ATX system then go for another 2.4 FHSS. Even JR is about to make the switch to FHSS with their new 7 channel they just released. Go check it out.

103/17
Well, that's what I'm saying. DSM2 concerns me but I do feel they are doing some things right, particularly their PowerSafe receiver formats. I already ordered an SD-10G and expect it to arrive today. I just wish ATX had a receiver designed specifically for big power, big plane specifics. Spoiled, I guess you could say ...
Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

I totally agree with you on keeping it simple and I used to be Spektrum and I will never use that technology again.

When I was upgrading I almost bought the JR 9503 with that RX and it was only because of the RX and how flexible it was that I considered it.

I am hoping by the time I am ready for that plane that ATX will have a new RX out that can accommodate this. I have seen some threads that they are working on a few what they actually are I have no idea.

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

Mitsu 1,

No matter how you cut it the only thing I would fly on DSM2 is a foam micro inside a gym ! I was with JR for 20+ years ever since purchasing my fist 347 TX which was an awesome system for its time. You could say I bled JR red ! I switched bacause I have no confidence in the DSM2 set ups. I have seen no issue with the FHSS systems at our field while there have been too many DSM2 problems......way too many ! I dont need to start the debate, I already switched systems and it wasnt cheap to make the switch as I was in pretty deep with JR stuff. I am sure you can make the ATX system work and your plane will be safer for it. If you dont buy the ATX system then go for another 2.4 FHSS. Even JR is about to make the switch to FHSS with their new 7 channel they just released. Go check it out.

103/17
Well, that's what I'm saying. DSM2 concerns me but I do feel they are doing some things right, particularly their PowerSafe receiver formats. I already ordered an SD-10G and expect it to arrive today. I just wish ATX had a receiver designed specifically for big power, big plane specifics. Spoiled, I guess you could say ...
Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several after market power expanders on the market but I think the overall demand for them
is not that high, If it was we would see all the radio manufactors making them.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Slats!

That is only true because most people still fly small planes. Look at the prices of the larger ARFs and gas options coming out now, they are getting cheaper. The larger the aircraft get the more it will have to be implemented.

ORIGINAL: ira d

There are several after market power expanders on the market but I think the overall demand for them
is not that high, If it was we would see all the radio manufactors making them.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
103/17

I think what I would add to that is if there is an increase in "3D" guys that demand may increase. "3D" guys seem to demand that type of stuff, I think they like gadgets. LOL !!!!! I have flown 25 - 30 percent stuff for some 15 years and never used anything other than 2 switches and 2 batteries. I even do that in my aerobatic stuff and I have never had an issue. I must trust it as I also still build from kits or plans so I'm risking a lot more than a $600 ARF frame. I guess it has always worked for me so I dont see any need to change from what I have been doing...........

103/17
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
aydin3

I think what I would add to that is if there is an increase in "3D" guys that demand may increase. "3D" guys seem to demand that type of stuff, I think they like gadgets. LOL !!!!! I have flown 25 - 30 percent stuff for some 15 years and never used anything other than 2 switches and 2 batteries. I even do that in my aerobatic stuff and I have never had an issue. I must trust it as I also still build from kits or plans so I'm risking a lot more than a $600 ARF frame. I guess it has always worked for me so I dont see any need to change from what I have been doing...........

103/17
and there in lies the rub...most people now want it all on a plate, plug and play style...those of us who still build and tinker with the electronics side are in a minority now rather than the majority as was....Ilove the new gadgets but have not, yet, found a need for most of them, and to be fazir, it is the high torque servo users who really need this level of power Ithink.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:47 PM
103/17

I guess I get that but for me my set up is simple, uncomplicated and has worked fine for a lot of years. I like the redundancy I have with two switches and two batteries and to be honest even on my smaller .60 sized planes with 1 battery and switch I have never had a failure or an issue.

I do think the Futaba S-bus system may be geared towrd the "3D" guys and maybe this will be a branch on the evolutionary tree that the "3D" guy want to swing on. Its going to be interesting to see where it all goes. One thing is for sure DSM2 is why I am flying Airtronics and I can say with two years under my belt, it was the best thing I could have done. The programming is simple as can be and I like the way the system works........I'm very happy with my SD-10G.

103/17
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM
aydin3

I guess I get that but for me my set up is simple, uncomplicated and has worked fine for a lot of years. I like the redundancy I have with two switches and two batteries and to be honest even on my smaller .60 sized planes with 1 battery and switch I have never had a failure or an issue.

I do think the Futaba S-bus system may be geared towrd the "3D" guys and maybe this will be a branch on the evolutionary tree that the "3D" guy want to swing on. Its going to be interesting to see where it all goes. One thing is for sure DSM2 is why I am flying Airtronics and I can say with two years under my belt, it was the best thing I could have done. The programming is simple as can be and I like the way the system works........I'm very happy with my SD-10G.

103/17
Meee too!!When the first Spectrum came out I was real happy that a technology I had been using for 20 years ahd finally made it into the RCfield...but it took the Airtronics team to get me to move to 2.4 real happy with both the RDS8000 and the SD-10G
Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 PM
bluzjamer

I keep seeing on here that peoplke are very happy with their RDS 8000 radios.
I happen to have an extra that is like new, with battery and charger and manual. No RX
I'm thinking $100 shipped in the 48. I have two and only need one since I plan on getting the SD-10G soon.
Can take paypal if your verified.
Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
[email protected]

MY AIRTRONICS SD-10G CAME WITH ALTERNATIVE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS WITH TWO PLASTIC PARTS. HOW ARE THEY USED .ARE THEY NECESSARY TO INSTALL THE NEW SPRINGS.

THANKS,

NORM NEBEL - E-MAIL - [email protected]
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not remember changing plastic parts when I put the new spring in mine. The springs a bit tedious to install. Much better feel afterwards though.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
[email protected]

THANKS JEFFH. IT DID COME WITH THE PLASTIC PARTS,I JUST WONDER WHAT TEY ARE FOR. NEBBY
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
CustomPC

The plastic parts might be stick travel limiters for the throttle stick.

Some people prefer a shorter throw on the throttle stick.

It's good that Airtronics gives you the option to install them and make the calibration menu user accessible.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
[email protected]

THANKYOU FOR THE INFO. NOW I CAN CHANGE THE SPRINGS WITH CONFIDENCE -YOUB GUYS ARE GREAT.THANKS AGAIN-NEBBY
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
raexman

Hello everyone,

I just got my SD-10G last friday and man, oh man! WHAT A RADIO!!!

I have been out of the RC world for almost twenty years now and my first radio back then was an ATX radio ( Still have it and it works too ). I decided to get back into RC a couple years ago and noticed the big diffrence between then and now. I've been looking at all the diffrent radios available in todays market and could not decide on what to get. I new with my next project that a good radio was needed, but in a resonable price, this was hard at first for this is my first computer radio and did not know what all to expect in one. Well from all the searching and reviewing, I had it narrowed down to the Aurora 9 or the SD-10G. Decided to go with ATX, for that was worked for me back then and now I'm glad to stay that way today.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: raexman

Hello everyone,

I just got my SD-10G last friday and man, oh man! WHAT A RADIO!!!

I have been out of the RC world for almost twenty years now and my first radio back then was an ATX radio ( Still have it and it works too ). I decided to get back into RC a couple years ago and noticed the big diffrence between then and now. I've been looking at all the diffrent radios available in todays market and could not decide on what to get. I new with my next project that a good radio was needed, but in a resonable price, this was hard at first for this is my first computer radio and did not know what all to expect in one. Well from all the searching and reviewing, I had it narrowed down to the Aurora 9 or the SD-10G. Decided to go with ATX, for that was worked for me back then and now I'm glad to stay that way today.
Getting the Airtronics SD-10g for your first computer radio is like getting a BMW 740 for your first car! The Aurora 9 is also a terrific radio, you couldn't have gone wrong with either choice. I think you're really going to appreciate the simplicity of the SD-10g's programming and the quality and smoothness of the gimbals. Congratulations on a fine purchase.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Getting the Airtronics SD-10g for your first computer radio is like getting a BMW 740 for your first car!
I may have a dog in this hunt now but when I decided on the SD-10G I didn't and they weren't even on the US shores yet. I looked at the 12Z, Aurora, SD-10G and 11x with the SD-10G winning my vote, my hard earned cash, and me waiting with it on backorder for the first shipment to arrive. I couldn't agree with the statement above more....it's a great radio and you'll love it the more you use it.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Pippin

I fly large scale planes w/o any special power system. I just use a heavy duty electronic switch with two normal wires plugged into the Rx (or sometimes just two normal switches). In both cases, I use one high amp, high current battery (4 or 5 cells).. Never had a problem running up to 9-10 digital high speed/high power servos. With battery low voltage warning switched on, I do not worry about Rx battery voltage at all. In all my flights I never experienced a low voltage situation.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

What battery for the TX. stock?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Radical R/C has a 2800mah lipo for $22 that I'm using with very inexpensive shipping. 3rd listing at:

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Li...&-RX-Packs-274
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using an Eneloop pack in mine, from Dave Thacker at Radical RC I think. If I'm flying every Sat, I have to charge it once a month.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Thanks to all!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Planeclothes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my SD-10G recently, I would call it an "unplanned" purchase, but the fact that my old RDS8000 had been having issues with the LCD turning black on hot days combined with Towers' special deal, I just could not miss the opportunity to get a top quality radio for the first time in all my hobby years. I have a couple of questions, the manual says the throttle stick comes set for full travel and the plastic stops must be used to limit stick travel. Well, my radio came with the stops already installed, which means the throttle stick travels less than the elevator stick. That should not be a problem since my RDS8000 was set up like that, I am just wondering if all the new radios come with these stops already in place. Also there's a couple of extra springs but I have not found anything in the manual about what these springs are for and/or how to install them. I must say I am very pleased with this radio's features and programming capabilities. I also like the well detailed manual even though it is not free of errors or items that have been changed or updated. For example, I was going nuts trying to figure out why my charger did not have a green light, until I decided to check online and found the charger addendum at HP. I think that should have been inserted or at least included with the manual.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Planeclothes,

You mentioned that Tower had a special but, I was not aware that Tower was selling the Airtronics SD-10G. Could you please point me in the right direction. We are almost neighbors, I live just north of Melbourne.

Howard
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Howard

Planeclothes,

You mentioned that Tower had a special but, I was not aware that Tower was selling the Airtronics SD-10G. Could you please point me in the right direction. We are almost neighbors, I live just north of Melbourne.

Howard
I got mine from Hobby People.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...att-sd10g.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-sx-sd10g.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.