Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MAN reports on Airtronics SD-10G 2.4Ghz radio system

I had been flying Airtronics exclusively for over 20 years and "waiting" for a high end ,so called contest quality radio in the 1/2K range when JR gave us the 9303 system which I fly now [8D]but it is a good thing that at last Sanwa has come out with a "500-" expert type radio
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
pda4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait - this may actually get me back to Airtronics after switching to Spektrum.....
Old 12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

This new Airtronics seems to be priced right but it has a retro look that I don't care for. Remember Robbie the Robot from the early 60' science fiction movies and "Lost In Space' ? Maybe they melted Robbie down and made this transmitter !
Old 12-28-2008, 01:36 PM
pda4you

ORIGINAL: SGibson

This new Airtronics seems to be priced right but it has a retro look that I don't care for. Remember Robbie the Robot from the early 60' science fiction movies and "Lost In Space' ? Maybe they melted Robbie down and made this transmitter !
Danger Will Robinson Danger.....

I like it...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: MikeL

I'm probably in the minority, but I like a simple, durable finish. I don't care for bling. What color it is should be a function of what the materials are.
Well put[8D]
Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Am I the only one that thinks the RDS8000 feels cheap? I like the radio but I feel like it's a cheap toy. Although for $229 and all the features they must have had to cut back somewhere...

I've got the new Airtronics WW 12 2.4G radio; it's clear, and comes with a life size RC wonder woman jet.
Am I the only one that thinks the RDS8000 feels cheap? I like the radio but I feel like it's a cheap toy. Although for $229 and all the features they must have had to cut back somewhere...
I noticed this too with the RD-800 I briefly had felt too light (if thats possible)and un balanced
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Any more news lately? I've been looking and haven't seen anything.

Looking forward to it rolling out....

LLD
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
bigedmustafa

All reports are still pointing toward an April release, unless something else comes up to delay the launch.

Prototypes are in the hands of Airtronics sponsored pilots, according to Mike Greenshields, and all of the feedback has been extremely positive with little to no criticism from pilots who are expected to criticize the product. The 10-channel 2.4Ghz receiver is apparently almost the exact same size as the current 8-channel 92824 receiver.

We should see the SD-10G, the 10-channel receiver, the Stylus 2.4Ghz module/receiver package, a full range 7-channel receiver, and a 6-channel park flyer receiver all available within the next 30 to 90 days or so.

By most reports, the products are awaiting final FCC approval. As part of the FCC process, Airtronics has to submit final owner's manual documentation for all of the new gear and that is taking up most of Airtronic's efforts currently. They have also just launched two new/updated 2.4Ghz surface radios. They've had a lot of documentation to create for all of these new products, but it sounds like Airtronics and Global Hobby want all of these new products ready as soon as they can get them approved.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Sounds good to me...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: SGibson

I remember Robbie. He debuted in Forbidden Planet (1956) when I was a kid (8). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1119475/bio Entirely different robot used in Lost in Space but he was the inspiration. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0011083/
Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
TMooreATX

The 2.4 ghz module for the Stylus is real. I've been testing it for the two weeks and it works as it should. Folks that gave up their Stylus due to the lack of an affordable 2.4 option will be glad to know that it will be available within a matter of weeks for $99.00. The SD 10G is even faster than the Stylus PCM system in terms of latency and quite honestly after looking at the test numbers the new SD10 will be the fastest responding radio on the market when it comes out.

Several of us have been testing this radio in everything from gliders to helicopters and it does indeed work with the RDS 8 channel. However, to take advantage of the full features of the new SD10G, the 10 channel is the way to go. There will also be 6 channel and 7 channel park flyer RX's coming very soon.

This radio is in the final stages of configuration and will be coming out very soon.

TM
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was holding it in my hand at the Toledo Expo today. Looks nice.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:12 PM
bigedmustafa

The SD-10G is available for pre-order at www.hobbypeople.net for $499.99:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/radcnq01.asp
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
103/17

Im trying to compare the 9303 2.4 and the 10G. I cant seem to get any technical info on the 10G to do an honest comparison. I switched from Sanwa in 1990 for my new JR 347 computer radio. At that time it was cutting edge, I still have it today. I am currently flying a JR 8103dt heli. I want to make the switch to 2.4 and I am waiting but I am getting sick of the lack of technical info available for this new TX from Airtronics. A consumer shouldnt have to beg to purchase a new product. I was ready to buy in January. Four months later I am still waiting but the 9303 2.4 is looking better and better as I still can not compare the two, I cant even get my hands on one. I am now told Hobby People will see it on the 29th of this month. My local Hobby shop has one on order and they would have seen more sold, but guys wont wait so they are opting for ther 9303 2.4.

I want to see technical info on a 10G. I want to buy a manual. I would like to fly Airtronics once again but progress on this seems so slow..................am I the only one who thinks so?

103/17
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely you've seen the feature list here: [link]http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_SD10G.asp[/link]

If the the SD-10G is anywhere near as good as the Stylus, I would expect to put my 9303's on the back shelf as soon as I get one.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one thing that caught my eye...

Complete Trim Authority And Sensitivity Adjustments and Cross Trims

Wish my 9303 would let me do that.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
103/17

I did see that tutorial on the Airtronics page, thanks for the heads up. I guess my hang up is I would like to see the manual and actually see how they have you slave channels or inhibit operations on things. After 20 years of JR I am used to their ways of doing things and I am comfortable with them. Give me a Futaba radio and I stumble around quite a bit helping anyone set things up who comes to the field and asks for help. I know its going to be different, I want to know " how different". I asked for a manual and they ( airtronics ) cant provide one until June, that makes me nervous. 7 channel 2.4 receivers wont be out until August, now I'm not sure this is for me. I know there are guy's out there flying with the 10G now. They must have been given some technical support with the radio ? I also wanted to put it into my hands and traveled 11 hours round trip to the WRAM show. Not a single delaer there had any information much less a 10G to show anyone. Horizon had a huge booth with 9303's and 12x's for all to fondle. This isnt a 99 dollar transmitter we are talking about. Before I buy the cow I want to taste the milk if you know what I mean.

I used Sanwa 20 years ago and loved them. Never had a bad experience. I hated it when their radios started to look like sampsonite suitcases and I switched in 1990 with a new JR 347. Funny statistic, with 80 members in our club here in northern VT not 1 guy flys with Sanwa anymore, not ONE! They all said the same thing I did, didnt like the ergonomics or the look of the radio. There are several that would come back but we all want to see it, feel it and learn about it. Unfortunatly we are all getting impatient with the delays and the release date being moved back / lack of information. Its a real bummer.

103/17
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
TMooreATX

ORIGINAL: 103/17

I did see that tutorial on the Airtronics page, thanks for the heads up. I guess my hang up is I would like to see the manual and actually see how they have you slave channels or inhibit operations on things. After 20 years of JR I am used to their ways of doing things and I am comfortable with them. Give me a Futaba radio and I stumble around quite a bit helping anyone set things up who comes to the field and asks for help. I know its going to be different, I want to know " how different". I asked for a manual and they ( airtronics ) cant provide one until June, that makes me nervous. 7 channel 2.4 receivers wont be out until August, now I'm not sure this is for me. I know there are guy's out there flying with the 10G now. They must have been given some technical support with the radio ? I also wanted to put it into my hands and traveled 11 hours round trip to the WRAM show. Not a single delaer there had any information much less a 10G to show anyone. Horizon had a huge booth with 9303's and 12x's for all to fondle. This isnt a 99 dollar transmitter we are talking about. Before I buy the cow I want to taste the milk if you know what I mean.

I used Sanwa 20 years ago and loved them. Never had a bad experience. I hated it when their radios started to look like sampsonite suitcases and I switched in 1990 with a new JR 347. Funny statistic, with 80 members in our club here in northern VT not 1 guy flys with Sanwa anymore, not ONE! They all said the same thing I did, didnt like the ergonomics or the look of the radio. There are several that would come back but we all want to see it, feel it and learn about it. Unfortunatly we are all getting impatient with the delays and the release date being moved back / lack of information. Its a real bummer.

103/17
Why would it make you nervouse because the manuals aren't done yet? I don't understand that statement whatsoever. It takes time to test, develop and understand these radios not to mention fix bugs in the software which we have been doing. Quite simply the manual is in process and once it is finished it will be posted. Please be patient, you will like this radio. Everything from SD 10 to 6 and 7 channel RX's have a schedule and right now, ATX is right on schedule.

The SD 10 makes the 9303 look infantile................for over $100.00 less.

TM
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
103/17

The manual interest for me is simple. I worked for a large OEM who manufactured Snowmobiles, ATVs and Watercraft. I was the Technical Coordinator for a decade in charge of technical material ( manuals ) that got developed hand in hand with new product. After initial product plan we set off with a timeline from baseline to completed bound manuals. It’s done the same way today. If they are right now "field testing" and manuals are not done yet, that makes me more than nervous. If they are anywhere near a completed market ready product then a manual should be finished and the ink dry, send me one I will buy it from you. Our manuals were done well in advance of new product.

Money isn’t this issue for me on this radio. I have been a loyal JR customer for better than 20 years. No issues and no reason to leave other than I liked what the 10G was shaping up to be. January came and no radio. Went to the WRAM show....... no radio, asked dealers and no radio, no information, no flyers, no add slicks...........nothing. Why nothing?

I guess I was planning on flying this summer with a new radio on 2.4 and right now the 10G is still a question mark for me. I have really tried to connect with this radio and have traveled great distance to see it. Don’t be upset with me the consumer for trying to buy a new product, I really have tried. I'm frustrated. The guys at the Horizon booth kept sticking that new 12x in my hand saying how nice it was. One member with us brought a new 12x home. I waited..........I'm still waiting to even see a 10G in real life. The 12X flyer is flying at our field right now on 2.4, I'm not! I'm sorry for trying so hard and wanting one I guess. I just think the time line for me isn’t going to work. I am thinking a 9303 2.4 is available, it’s proven and it’s a brand I know. I did really consider switching but with no technical info available ( still ?) I just don’t think I can't make the leap of faith. Sell me a manual to look at and I might stay on the hook !

Not a criticism in any way. I'm not being disrespectful to anyone here. I really did try to get my hands on anything other than internet pictures, it just doesn’t exist at this time. The 10G may in your opinion make the 9303 2.4 look infantile and it may do that for less money but since January the 10G has been an enigma for myself and others in our club. [&o]Sorry.......

103/17
Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM
TMooreATX

ORIGINAL: 103/17

The manual interest for me is simple. I worked for a large OEM who manufactured Snowmobiles, ATVs and Watercraft. I was the Technical Coordinator for a decade in charge of technical material ( manuals ) that got developed hand in hand with new product. After initial product plan we set off with a timeline from baseline to completed bound manuals. It’s done the same way today. If they are right now "field testing" and manuals are not done yet, that makes me more than nervous. If they are anywhere near a completed market ready product then a manual should be finished and the ink dry, send me one I will buy it from you. Our manuals were done well in advance of new product.

Money isn’t this issue for me on this radio. I have been a loyal JR customer for better than 20 years. No issues and no reason to leave other than I liked what the 10G was shaping up to be. January came and no radio. Went to the WRAM show....... no radio, asked dealers and no radio, no information, no flyers, no add slicks...........nothing. Why nothing?

I guess I was planning on flying this summer with a new radio on 2.4 and right now the 10G is still a question mark for me. I have really tried to connect with this radio and have traveled great distance to see it. Don’t be upset with me the consumer for trying to buy a new product, I really have tried. I'm frustrated. The guys at the Horizon booth kept sticking that new 12x in my hand saying how nice it was. One member with us brought a new 12x home. I waited..........I'm still waiting to even see a 10G in real life. The 12X flyer is flying at our field right now on 2.4, I'm not! I'm sorry for trying so hard and wanting one I guess. I just think the time line for me isn’t going to work. I am thinking a 9303 2.4 is available, it’s proven and it’s a brand I know. I did really consider switching but with no technical info available ( still ?) I just don’t think I can't make the leap of faith. Sell me a manual to look at and I might stay on the hook !

Not a criticism in any way. I'm not being disrespectful to anyone here. I really did try to get my hands on anything other than internet pictures, it just doesn’t exist at this time. The 10G may in your opinion make the 9303 2.4 look infantile and it may do that for less money but since January the 10G has been an enigma for myself and others in our club. [&o]Sorry.......

103/17
I'm sorry you feel that way. None of us in the development team can change the timeline and it is impossible to write manuals until you get the final iteration of hardware and software. I'm absolutely sure that snowmobiles weren't made in Japan and had to be translated for the intended market. Since there was no translation requred and no software that is still fluid to a small degree snowmobiles were probably a lot easier to write manuals for.

As far as the 12X is concerned, this radio has every feature that Sanwa could come up with from 1995 and yet you still can't update the software in the field. Look at a Stylus with the appropriate feature card in place and JR did a great job of making a nice radio with all of our features in it. If you want that sort of radio wait a few weeks pick up an older Stylus and you can buy the 2.4 module and multiple RX's for a fraction of the price of a 12X.

What exactly do you want to know about the new SD10G? I have a late beta version and I can answer any question you may need regarding heli programming and can get glider and aero questions answered. You may also email Mike Greenshields and he would be glad to answer any questions.

The manufacturing timeline is what it is. I'm very sorry we didn't meet your requirements in this regard.

TM
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
RCGeckoman

some people will NEVER be satisfied...bring the radio out early with problems and they all ***** about it...just go read the spectrum.jr and futaba forums to see that!!! I want the radio...I am happy to wait. (though a manual would be great about now <GRIN> )

Dave L RDS8000 and realllll happy with it....
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
TMooreATX

The Manual is just days away.

TM
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
103/17

TM

On the Airtronics site I only see a 3 channel a 4 channel and an 8 channel receiver available in 2.4. Will all of these receivers work with the 10G ? What other receivers will be available to me for the 10G in the "near" future? I use a lot of 7 channel stuff right now with my JR radios.

103/17
Old 05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
TMooreATX

There will be a 6 channel, 7 channel , 8 channel and the 10 channel. We are also working on a 4 channel ultra light 2.4 RX for the indoor crowd.

TM
Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
103/17

TM,

Any idea on availability ?

103/17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.