Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buying a new 72Mhz system ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 72Mhz system ?

Would anyone here buy a new 72Mhz radio system ? What would be the advantage in doing that, instead of buying a 2.4Ghz system ?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
davidbegg

Default RE: Buying a new 72Mhz system ?

2.4 is surely the way of the future. What advantage has 72 over 2.4? (None that I can think of.)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some carbon fibre fuselage glider fans, cram everything in a little ball and the 2.4 antenna can have a hard time seeing the signals. The 72 antenna can be trailed out along the wing etc..
Other than this very small group of flyers,, the 2.4 setups gained instant and overwhelming acceptance.
Personally, Once I flew my first little setup ( a DX6) I gave away or sold ALL my 72 stuff and ever looked back for an instant .
th advantages of a GOOD 2.4 setup simply are overwhelming
for example
features such as super tiny rx for super tiny UNDER one ounce models (the Bind n fly stuff)
or multi rx set ups for models as large as you want - all which work on same tx and are isolated from accidental use by features such as Model Match
Glitching?
NONE
You can also purchase 2.4 setups with out the aditional safety features -
Bottom line
buy a new 72 setup ?
Can't think of a good reason to do so.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a few people are selling their Used 72Mhz radio systems, for Deep Discounts. I recently sold my Futaba 8AUPS, Futaba 9CAP, and JR XP8103 Tx's with a number of Rx's. I have two JR XP9303 Tx's. On has a 72Mhz Synthesizer module and one has the Spektrum 2.4 module. I am half way converted to 2.4. At some point I will unload all my 72Mhz stuff.

The only reason to stay with 72Mhz is cost. I love 2.4.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
carrellh

Bought a Futaba 9CAFS, on 72mhz, in October.

Why?

Had a regular 9C and lost two models due to radio failure of some sort. Could not replicate the problem but it had to be related to the transmitter or the RF module. Did not want to wait a few weeks to get it back from a service center, so we had to buy "something." We have about 20 receivers on 72mhz, so it did not make sense to us to buy something that would make them useless.

Our club is small (about 40 members) and we rarely have more than 6 or 8 pilots at the field so we almost never have multiple people with transmitters on the same channel. We have a few people who started with 2.4, or switched to it, but most plan to stick with 72 until it goes away.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
KW_Counter

Ed,
I just bought a new Hitec Optic 6.
I was having trouble with my Flash 5 which is about 6 years old.
I didn't want to wait for repairs so bought new - $169 shipped with a receiver.
Why not a 2.4 - I can't afford to repalce all of my receivers at this time and price.
However, Airtronics is selling a 2.4 with 2 receivers for about $229 I think.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Dsegal

I bought a new 72mhz system this year as I had run out of model memories and did not want to replace the dozen or so receivers I already own. I have no problems at my club field flying with this gear.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
bigedmustafa

I recently spent $75 or so to get worn out pots replaced in my Futaba 7C. I have a dozen or so 72Mhz receivers I'm quite happily still flying. Had I known the repair would be as expensive as it was, I would have simply bought a new 72Mhz radio system compatible with my receivers to replace the 7C. A Tower Hobbies 6XM at $119, for example, would have been a perfectly fine replacement.

Actually, now that I've typed that, I do own a single Futaba R138DP PCM receiver, so I pretty much had to get my 7C fixed. It was the cheapest way to keep that receiver usable.

It still makes sense to buy a new 72Mhz transmitter if you need one to operate a bunch of your receivers. I probably won't be buying any more 72Mhz receivers, however. I moved to the Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio system and additional 8-channel receivers are as inexpensive as most Dual Conversion FM receivers.

I've been perfectly happy with my 72Mhz radio system over the years and will continue flying it for the foreseeable future. I filled up the model memory on my 7C and needed to add a second transmitter, however, and with the RDS8000 selling for less than many inferior 72Mhz radio systems, it was a no-brainer.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

here is my take on this, a few months ago a friend of mine was flying his spad on 72 and impacted into the side of his hanger which was made of metal, lost control of the radio. crystal vibrated loose from his rx. i am also seeing a growing number of toys you can get from toysrus that are on 72 MHz. sure most places are fine and signals don't get interference. most clubs are responsible with the pins and keep 72 safe but as neighborhoods encroach on clubs and people buying toys that are on 72 and all the little mishaps with crystals coming loose how can you not want to start moving in that direction with a new radio. that's fine in my opinion if you are on 72 and want to stay on it but if you plan on buying a new radio it might be prudent to at lease consider the 2.4 option because of whats at stake. when you look at the example of my friend flying his plane full throttle into the side of a hanger because his crystal vibrated loose in my opinion that warrants if you are in the market for a new radio to look to 2.4ghz. thats why when i needed a radio to expand what i could do because i had 6 channels that are not able to handle bigger airplanes and the fact that the club i was flying at was getting interference i looked and bought a 2.4 GHz.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
tadawson

Or just go with a synthesized 72MHz set, and no crystals there either . . . .

- Tim
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the toys on 72. I know they use 27 and 49.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
pilotpete2

Simple solution, get a new or used radio that is modular.
Hitec Optic 6 for entry level, or a used Futaba 9C or JR 9303 for more flexibility.
Pete
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I fly on a Polk's Hobby Tracker III. Synthesizes any 72MHz channel, 99 model memories, and I like it.

When 2.4GHz came out, Polk's sold out their remaining stock for a hundred a copy, with a receiver, a receiver battery and one servo, plus the little button to turn on the synthesized receiver channel function.

I intend to use these two transmitters until I see some reason to abandon 72 MHz (or all my equipment wears out.)

So, my answer is, the reason to buy 72 MHz setups right now is, they're being sold cheap.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:12 PM
carlosponti

ORIGINAL: TFF

I would like to know the toys on 72. I know they use 27 and 49.

i know of some flyzone and megatech toy planes on 72 that the people that buy them dont know about rc so they fly them near clubs i will have to do some digging to remember one other i found. I remember being in toysrus and saw one but i cant remember what it was. now granted its not one of the usual rc toys i see from time to time but it astounded me to see it.

edit this is on toysrus's website
http://megatech.com/product_detail_aircraft.php?ID=9945
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3076169

to be real thorough they also use IR to control the toys as well.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
TFF

Makes me feel better that its $300 not too many being sold at that price.
As for a new radio, I would say if you need a radio that does anything more than a beginner 4-6 channel, move on to 2.4. I will stay with my 9C 72 for for a while; there is no signal problems in my area but if their was a problem or I needed a new radio, I would jump.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
carlosponti

TFF i also see [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSBM0**&P=ML]these[/link] being sold at a hobbytown USA without any instruction on where not to fly etc.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
TFF

Park flyers could be a problem for some places, but I was really worried about the toys at Target and such. There has always been non club flying, but these guys scare me because they want to land an airplane in my lap, because they dont know how to fly.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 PM
carlosponti

here recently i was listening to this guy who runs a lhs complain about losing his large scale aerobatic airplane then a week or so goes by and a guy comes in and say his plane was acting weird after a few minutes the lhs worker realizes this guy was flying the same day as he and that it was in a field not far from the club field, needless to say he got angry. thats the kinda stuff that irritates me. the guy told him it couldnt have been him because he thought the 72 mhz radio was only line of sight.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 AM
BuschBarber

In the past 30 years that I have been flying RC, mainly on 72Mhz, I have encountered interference from numerous sources. Electric motors, electronic ignition from gas engines, unshielded wires to Magneto kill switches, metal to metal contact, carbon fiber pushrods rubbing together, vibration affecting the Rx, vibration affecting the servos or extension connectors, overpowered Short Wave radios in homes, trucks, and ships spilling over to my frequency, other RC modelers on my frequency, other modelers with poorly tuned Tx, Rx antennas running by servos or electronics, antennas that have been damaged due to kinks or brakes under the insulation.

ALL of these issues go AWAY with 2.4, for the most part. It is like Heaven compared to the way it was. There is No Comparison.

No waiting for the Frequency Pin. No worries about being Shot Down or Shooting someone else Down. Flying ANYWHERE, no matter how close you are to another Flying Field. Tiny little antennas on Rx and Tx.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 AM
nobodytwo

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

here is my take on this, a few months ago a friend of mine was flying his spad on 72 and impacted into the side of his hanger which was made of metal, lost control of the radio. crystal vibrated loose from his rx. i am also seeing a growing number of toys you can get from toysrus that are on 72 MHz. sure most places are fine and signals don't get interference. most clubs are responsible with the pins and keep 72 safe but as neighborhoods encroach on clubs and people buying toys that are on 72 and all the little mishaps with crystals coming loose how can you not want to start moving in that direction with a new radio. that's fine in my opinion if you are on 72 and want to stay on it but if you plan on buying a new radio it might be prudent to at lease consider the 2.4 option because of whats at stake. when you look at the example of my friend flying his plane full throttle into the side of a hanger because his crystal vibrated loose in my opinion that warrants if you are in the market for a new radio to look to 2.4ghz. thats why when i needed a radio to expand what i could do because i had 6 channels that are not able to handle bigger airplanes and the fact that the club i was flying at was getting interference i looked and bought a 2.4 GHz.
[sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=thumbup.gif]