Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Problem with brand new Futaba 9CAP

Old 06-15-2003, 12:32 AM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with brand new Futaba 9CAP

Well great I finally got my plane built and was setting up the txmtr which is a brand spankin new Futaba 9CAP when it started going wacko. Yesterday I turned on the txmtr with the batt power it came with and named model #1 - AVISTAR as its my first trainer and it's an Avistar. Next I plugged it into its wall charger and let it charge for 12 hours so I would have a full charge. Now today when i turn it on the screen is half and half. Half normal brightness and half very faint hardly readable. Ok I think! and look up how to turn up brightness which I try but it changes nothing except the already good half gets brighter. Then I think ok no biggie maybe its just a small glitch so I proceed to reverse my servos as they need reversing. When I press and hold the MODE key to get to the proper selection screen the whole screen goes blank, I am able to press the up and down select buttons and it beeps but I see nothing. The only thing I can do is press END which brings me back to the initial screen that is there on power up. Please help if you have experienced this as I really want to fly tommorrow. Looks like I am going to be sending it back unless something is just set up wrong. Thanks guys.

Zachary Kirby
LTJG USN
Old 06-15-2003, 01:17 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you charge it fully before you tried to set everything? I would call futaba or send it in. Sounds like the display is bad, or was screwed up when you turned it on. Could have been caused by a lot of different things. You need to fully charge a new radio before turning it on from what I have been told by everyone else in the field. Warrenty should take care of it if it came out of the box that way.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:55 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Sorry, but it sounds like a warranty repair issue. I'd send it back.

Mike
Old 06-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Geistware

With the 9C being that new, I would return it to the place of purchase for an exchange. Let the LHS or MOH deal with the warranty issue.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:30 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like an internal defect. I would return for a replacement
Old 06-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

No question here, get a new replacement one from Futaba
Old 06-16-2003, 03:39 PM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Default No luck with return so far :(

Get this, it worked like a charm when I first received it so I gave it no more thought and installed all the electronics in my plane. Now since I have installed all that jive both Tower and their warranty/return place is considering it used. So the guy at Towers warranty/repair shop tells me I can send it in for warranty repair which will take a week or so. No f'n way I think this isnt a warranty issue it is a defective product issue. Then I call Tower back again and ask about just returning the whole kit and kaboodle under the fact that it 1) doesn't work and 2) I am not satisfied with it. The girl tells me I can but that the return dept. at Tower is currently working on returns from June 1-2nd so it will take about 2 weeks for it to process. GREAT!! So I ask her about just ordering an entire new unit and then returning the defective one. This surprisingly is what Tower thinks will be the fastest way for me to get a new radio, *** over... I have to game the system to get what I want. Seems to me that great customer service would have said "Holy hell your BRAND NEW 9c doesnt work? no worries Mr. Kirby we are sending you a replacement right this minute" But noooooooo they have wiped their hands clean of this whole mess and now it's a warranty issue that I have to take up with Futaba, go figure. Anyways I am ordering a new radio in 5 minutes as soon as I get done posting this and I will send the defective radio back for a full return. I still can't believe I have to do it this way, seems a little outdated to me.

Zachary Kirby
LTJG USN
Old 06-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry to hear that, thats why i went to jr.........Andrew
Old 06-17-2003, 12:44 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send it to Futaba service and they'll fix it under warranty. I know it sucks because my 9C had range problems but I sent it in and they turned it around in 2 days.

Problem is with any electrically component most companies won't take them back and very few will exchange them. It sucks but it's like this because of all the people who messed something up then took it back and demanded another one.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Geistware

HoovDriver, I hate to sound like I am taking sides but in industry, it is customary to have a customer purchase a replacement item then credit their account for the returned unit. WHen I was working at Cybotech, we did it all the time. It is the quickest way to get a part and usually the invoice is never paid if the returned unit is as stated on the RMA.