RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

radio interference

Old 06-01-2003, 02:50 AM
conkster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default radio interference

will i get into any trouble if the battery to my c&h ignition is less than 12 inches away from my radio gear? i need it far back for balance. i can get my receiver 10 to 12 inches away but the servo`s will be 4 to 6 inches away. the battery & switch for my smoke system are close too. thank you ,
conk
Old 06-01-2003, 03:02 AM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default radio interference

This is merely my OPINION based upon lots of reading, but anything less than 10 inches of electrical seperation is taking a big risk (Futaba says min 12"). That includes the servos.

If you don't have any other choice, you can proceed as planned, then do a VERY thourough range check from all directions with the engine off (Futaba recommends min 100' w/ antenna collapsed), then test again with the engine running (all throttle positions). With the engine running, you should have no more than 10% reduction (Futaba's suggested cutoff) in range. If your range reduces by more than 10% you'll have to find some way to shield your electronics from the RF noise from the ignition.

Click here for Futaba's FAQ on testing for range.