Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buying a radio right the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 05:50 PM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a radio right the first time

Hello all, I am so new to this sport I don't even own a gas plane yet, don't even have a radio or an engine, or field equipment for that matter hehe. No worries though I plan to remedy that very soon, hopefully by this weekend. First a little background on me, I am a 25 year old Navy pilot assigned to VS-41 flying the S-3B Viking out of NAS North Island Ca. Grew up driving RC cars and trucks and always wanted to get into the flying models as aviation is where my true passion lies, but as a young teenager I just couldn't save my money long enough to make a purchase larger than a new set of tires or an electric engine for my RC-10 . Bought a Hobby-Zone Aerobird about 2 months ago. Well 3 wings and one water landing later I was left with one ugly looking, shorted out toy. I did however walk away with one good thing, the relization that my appattite for this sport has been starved long enough.

Ok Ok enough about all that, heres the meat and potatoes of my situation, 1) I clearly know I want into this sport. 2) The wife has finally forgotten about the Aerobird and its 3 wings . 3) I only want to buy one radio that will last me at least 5 years or so. My plans include a Hobbico Avistar MkII .46 / OS .46FX engine / and a Futaba 9C. I know I know! I dont need the .46FX and I certainly dont need the 9C for the Avistar but I already have plans for my next project/bird which will need at least 6 channels -ailerons, elev, rudder, flaps, retracts so as I see it I need at least 6 channels and with this as a plan for my 2nd plane God only knows what my appetite will ask for next.

Ok the question, I apologize for this post being so long. Being a pilot in the navy and mostly from flying off and onto a boat where almost always something goes wrong I am a man who believes in redundancy and planning for the worst. With that mindset do I get the PPM or PCM (commonly mistaken as FM vs. PCM) version of the 9C. I know that PCM only masks potential glitches and what not, and on the flip side PPM may process the info at a faster rate. Sorry if I have gotten soemthing wrong here. I am not worried about NEEDING PCM in the Avistar but once I put hundreds of hours and dollars into scale models I want the most protection I can get. And yes PCM can fail just as anything else in life can but is it really more dependable or not?

Ok sorry if I just opened up another PPM vs PCM can of worms but I am about to buy a radio in the next week or so. Also I know I can buy the FM version and always upgrade to PCM at a later date but I really want to cut costs down from the start, I have the money for PCM but at the same time am working on a limited budget for now.

Lastly - Servos and reciever, what is the difference between Futaba S3004 and S3001 and S9001 servos and the R138DP , R149DP, and 148DF

Ok once again sorry this is so long I will break up my questions into smaller posts from now on. Thank you for welcoming me into these forums, I have already gained a wealth of knowledge in here Keep the shiny side up all.

Zachary Kirby
LTJG USN
Old 06-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're on the right track. The Avistar/OS46FX combo will last you for some time, and the 9C is an excellent radio. Get the version of the 9C that you can afford; the PCM version does have a better receiver and servos. The 3001 servos are designed to withstand a little more vibration/abuse than the 3004. The 149DP receiver is excellent; it is compact and mine has very good range, even on a gas engine installation. If you get the PPM version of the 9C then you only get an 8 channel receiver, so keep that in mind for future projects.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:17 PM
HoovDriver

Default Flyfalcons!!

Flyfalcons thx for the advice and I just had to respond with Woah talk about a small world. I am from Tacoma Wa. Did my civilian flight training out of Gray field, Ft. Lewis. Only got a private liscense but have since gotten my commercial along with all the military flying I have seen those float planes you have a picture of, so i checked out your profile and found the link to sanjuanisland airlines. Pretty cool to hear from someone backhome, wife and i really miss the PNW. Well thx for the tips, I think I am leaning towards the cheaper 9CAP that comes with 2 3004 servoes and a R138DP unless you or anyone thinks I should spring the extra $70 for the kit that comes with the 4 3001 servoes and the R149DP. If the reciever and 3001 servoes are all that much better please let me know. Thanks

Zachary Kirby
LTJG USN
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful, I think the one that comes with the 2 servos is on 75 mhz, which is ground use only. Better check twice!

Nice to hear from someone from the area.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:47 PM
HoovDriver

Default Well that made the decision easy :)

Ok then you are exactly correct 2 servo txmr kit is 75 only, Wow thank god I didn't go and order it, seriously I am about 2 mouse clicks from ordering this radio The 9CAP with the 4 3001 servoes and R149DP it is. Thanks again Flyfalcons

if anybody else has input plz let me know, I think I am going with the PCM set but would love ot hear other peoples views.

Oh if anyone knows a better website/supplier than Tower let me know, I keep reading about some place online caleld Chief's but can't find it. Thanks.

Zachary Kirby
LTJG USN
Old 06-02-2003, 09:00 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will like that combo. It is a great radio. I prefer PCM as well. Have a blast flying and yell if you have questions.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:24 PM
HoovDriver

Default Ok cool

Alrighty then thx guys for the input
Old 06-02-2003, 09:29 PM
dlmob

Hey man it www.chiefaircraft.com they sell reel airplane stuff and all kinds of models too.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

HoovDriver,

Your looking for Chief Aircraft . I'd check them out, they have good prices.

Regarding the PPM vs. PCM question, did you know the 9c transmitter is capable of transmitting in PPM and PCM? I'm sure you did. If you plan on transplanting the radio gear from your trainer to your 2nd plane the PCM version with better servos may be a good choice. But, if you plan on continuing to play around with your trainer, or using it to train somebody else, the PPM version may be a better choice. Then, when you're ready for the next plane you can purchase the more expensive servos and receiver if need be. To be honest, however, you probably won't need a PCM receiver until your 3rd or maybe 4th or 5th plane.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!