Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Best way to reverse a servo

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Stormbud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to reverse a servo

I am building my first big bird and have to use two servos on the elevator halves. The servos sit in opposite directions and for the servos to operate correctly one has to be reversed.
As far as I see I have three options:
1. buy a servo reverseing Y-harness
2. buy an eight channel reciever so I can use my 8UA to drive each servo from a different channel. (this way I am not even sure I can reverse each servo seperately, but I am pretty sure you can.)
3. take apart the servo and follow numerous posts on how to reverse the servo. (not really interested in this)

One more problem I have is that the 7 channel reciever I have was on 38 and my transmitter is on 52...........I am thinking I may be better buying the new reciever and specifying my channel. Any thoughts???????????? Thank You
Old 06-02-2003, 11:03 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

All of the above ways will work, but perhaps you could just move the linkage to the opposite side of the servo so that your movement would be what you want.

I'd go with the extra channel and reverse it using your radio as my first choice. Why do you have to buy an 8 channel RX? I'm not familiar with the 8U, but can you use channel 5 and do a mix?

As far as the RX channel, either get a new crystal for yours or order another RX with a channel 52 crystal. You could replace the module on your 8U, but I think a crystal change would be cheaper.

Mike
Old 06-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Stormbud

Thanks Mike

I am thinking pretty much like you. The plans call for both linkages to be on the same side(closer to the stab) , I assume this is to keep them as close as possible to the same geometry.

As far as buying the eight channel, I am using 1 and 6 for ail. and the manual calls for useing 2 and 8 for dual elevator servos. But now that you mention that, I am sure if I sat down with the manual I could make my own mix and use 2 and 7(or 5). The futaba 8UA (sorry cant remember the rest and am too lazy to run to garage!) has many mixes you can set up on your own. Anyone done this?? Thanks again Mike!!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:16 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

No problem. I used the above mix on my 9C for my split elevators. Works like a charm. I'm sure someone has done it with an 8U. You could also use the Futaba automated answer system.

Send an e-mail with your question to... ughhh. The address is at work. I think it's [email protected]

It will automatically search it's database for matches to your question. It's worked well for me most times and others not so good. Worth a shot.

Mike
Old 06-03-2003, 12:19 AM
EdwardB
My Feedback: (6)

There are other options you haven't mentioned. Hitec digital servos and their progammer is one. Not only allows you to reverse one of the servos, but also to exactly match the amount of throw and speed. I'm using this setup with the 10 servos in my 1/3 scale Extra. I'm still getting used to it, but overall I'm very impressed with the amount of flexibility this allows.

Another option would be devices such as the JR Matchbox, which has a similar function, but stays with the airplane. I seem to recall Futaba now offering an on-board mixing/matching type device as well.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default aha-

Remember, if you use Futaba servos you can use a Hitec one on the other side because they rotate in opposite directions!

Hawker, you need a beat up Ultrasport?

james
Old 06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also the servo reverser at tower. Futaba makes it and it is only like $25. That would work. I like to plug them into different channels in the rec and do it that way. Much easier.