Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9303 Possible Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
MicroDat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 Possible Lockout

I have a 9303 with the stock receiver on a Cermark F16 jet. I run dual 5955 on the elevators, 311 on nose gear and JR servos on all other surfaces (2 on aileron, 1 on rudder). I had a possible lock out on two separate occassions. On a low high speed pass I had no control over my plane, after about 1 second I was able to regain it, I immediately pulled up and gave it full throttle so i can get some altitude as I prepare to land. When I pulled out I lost control again, I thought for sure it was going in this time but after about several seconds I regain control. I was finally able to land my jet w/o any further problems. When I checked the receiver, the satelite was not blinking (as it should be if the receiver lost signal). I am not sure what happen here. Did I lock out? Did my servos not get enough power? I am not sure. Here is my setup:

AR9000 receiver with one satilite (stock)
9303 transmitter (stock)
HS5955 (two) on the elevator halves with 30" extensions
HS 311 (one) on the nose gear
HS65 for the retract air valve
JR 2427 (two) on the ailerons with 15" extensions
JR (one, I don't know the number) on the rudder with a 30" extension
I use two A123 pack (6.6v nominal) that feeds a smart-fly 8 AMP bat-share that plugs into the battery slot of the 9000 receiver.

I am thinking about changing out the transmitter battery to a 3S LIPO for a stronger transmitter signal (I've used a 3S lipo in my Dx7 for about 8 months w/o any problems) and putting a power expander into my setup.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 9303 Possible Lockout

Is your Tx the X9303 2.4 or is it the XP9303 with the Spektrum module? I have been using TrueRC 3cell LiPo's in my XP9303, with Spektrum module, for over a year, without incident.

You should buy the Flight Log device and check your system with it after a flight and before you shut off the Rx. That would tell you if you had a Failsafe event, antenna fades, etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

changing to a 3S lipo in the transmitter will not provide a stronger signal. The 2.4GHz section of the radio runs on a voltage regulator, using a higher voltage input will just cause more heat dissipation in the regulator, not higher output signal.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM
BuschBarber

I agree!! What I like about using LiPo's in my Tx is that they hold their charge for a long time and they charge quickly. I have had Zero problems with LiPo's in the Tx.

MicroDat - Is the Firmware in your Rx newer or older version?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
MicroDat

I use the 2.4 9303 out of the box.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
MicroDat

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
MicroDat - Is the Firmware in your Rx newer or older version?

How do I check the firmware?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM
BuschBarber

I have not returned my AR9000Rx's, yet, to have them updated, but there is supposed to be a relationship between the way the lights on the Rx blink that tells you if you have the newer update. I read this on one of the other threads.

If you have the occasion to have the system Reboot, in flight, the older Rx's would take 4 sec to relink. With the Firmware update, it is a much shorter time. I have never had this happen to me but I believe you can test the situation on the ground. I believe there was a issue with the Rx battery voltage dropping too low as a result of the load put on it by digital servos drawing a lot of current. I believe the Rx would experience a Brown Out and have to relink with the Tx. Perhaps I am not explaining it properly and someone else can chime in with the correct technical description.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay a couple of ideas here;

A Smart-Fly 8 amp BatShare plugged into the battery slot on the rx? That BatShare has Deans connectors, how did you get the power into the rx? If you've somehow adapted the Deans to a regular servo type connector and only have one, you are current limited by the connector to about 3 to 4 amps depending on the connector. The AR9000/R921 rx's have two battery inputs, one labeled Batt/Bind and the other labeled Batt/Data. You need at least two power inputs if you're running servo type connectors as power into the rx.

The AR9000's may very well not have the latest Quick Connect update which is designed to deal with power brownouts. It's easy to check whether or not it's installed, just turn the rx off with the thing linked and then back on. The rx should come back up in less than 1/2 second and the lights on the rx should flash but at a much slower rate than you see when binding.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1756

As mentioned, get yourself a data logger (Flight Log) and check your install. It'll tell you real quick what the quality of the RF link is between the tx and the model. I've found that the included 6" extensions for the satellite rx's don't usually provide enough room to locate those rx's in a good location for distance and orientation. I run dual satellites on all my 9 channel rx's, you might want to look into those possibilities.

A Li-Po battery will not increase the tx's output as mentioned above and while some folks do like to use those batteries, JR as well as the other manufacturer's will void your tx warranty if you put in a Li-Po. I think Futaba has one tx with a Li-Ion battery stock but that's the only one I'm aware of.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MicroDat

I have a 9303 with the stock receiver on a Cermark F16 jet. I run dual 5955 on the elevators, 311 on nose gear and JR servos on all other surfaces (2 on aileron, 1 on rudder). I had a possible lock out on two separate occassions. On a low high speed pass I had no control over my plane, after about 1 second I was able to regain it, I immediately pulled up and gave it full throttle so i can get some altitude as I prepare to land. When I pulled out I lost control again, I thought for sure it was going in this time but after about several seconds I regain control. I was finally able to land my jet w/o any further problems. When I checked the receiver, the satelite was not blinking (as it should be if the receiver lost signal). I am not sure what happen here. Did I lock out? Did my servos not get enough power? I am not sure. Here is my setup:

AR9000 receiver with one satilite (stock)
9303 transmitter (stock)
HS5955 (two) on the elevator halves with 30" extensions
HS 311 (one) on the nose gear
HS65 for the retract air valve
JR 2427 (two) on the ailerons with 15" extensions
JR (one, I don't know the number) on the rudder with a 30" extension
I use two A123 pack (6.6v nominal) that feeds a smart-fly 8 AMP bat-share that plugs into the battery slot of the 9000 receiver.

I am thinking about changing out the transmitter battery to a 3S LIPO for a stronger transmitter signal (I've used a 3S lipo in my Dx7 for about 8 months w/o any problems) and putting a power expander into my setup.
Dump the bat share. Just use 2 switch harnesses, 1 for each battery pack. Plug one into the RX bat port and the other in any other available servo port. "Y" harness if you have to. NOTHING between the batteries and RX except for the switches. Trouble free in my KingCat for 2 years.

Dave
Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
MicroDat

Hrmm, I'll dump the bat-share and get a 2nd satilite, but I'm just so reluctant to fly the jet now with the trouble I had last time.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
TheLockman

I say KEEP the Batshare and figure out what the real problem is! Some people just love to buck technology for whatever reason. I have run the batshare in my BobCat for an entire year with NO problems whatsoever! And there are MANY other people who do. Do the leads have the small connectors that go staight to receiver? Or like someon else suggested, did the come with Deans plugs and you used some kind of Adapters? I would for sure have the rx and sattelite updated, took only a few days and costs nothing. That in itself may help a lot. And yes get the datalogger, it is very cheap information tool. The instructions even tell you how to do a complete range check while using the datalogger. Way better than walk 20 steps and wiggle.