Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GLITCH in my Airtronics Elev. Circuit

Old 03-21-2002, 12:43 AM
Oscar-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLITCH in my Airtronics Elev. Circuit

First, a moment of silence for my faithful trainer that found the dead center of a fence post this evening......

O.K., now that I'm over that. I need some help.

I have a Airtronics Vanguard 6 channel radio. I'm not exactly sure on the age, but I'm guessing around 10 to 12 years old. I bought it used in '93 and it was in good shape (I thought).

This afternoon, I was doing some take off and landing cycles off the ice on our pond and on the last approach, I lost all elevator control. The plane went straight into a post.

I previously had some elevator problems a week or so ago, and I checked the servo and all connections to make sure there was not short, which there weren't, and then continued to fly without a problem.

Now here is where it gets interesting. About 8 years ago, I had a Riser 100 glider that I used with this radio. I lost that glider when it suddenly dived into a power line and sheared itself in half. I had decided that electrical interference from the power lines had caused this accident, but now I'm not sure.

So that's the story and here's my question:

How do I find out if it is the receiver that is causing the problem or the radio?

Also, is it possible that a radio can have a useable lifespan? This radio sat for a number of years before I put it back into service.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:42 PM
flybaby747

Default RE: GLITCH in my Airtronics Elev. Circuit

possibility that the radio pots in the transmitter are gone , what happens is that dirt or moisture gets into the gimbals and it results in a pot that is malfunctioning . its easier to go onto ebay and buy yourself a new hitec radio.

shame about the riser , im building one at the moment , nice sailplane.

cheers
doug
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another question that comes to mind is: are these the same batterys Tx and flight pack that came with the set back in 93 (or older)?
Did you check the Rx pack voltage after the incident today and how long did you charge it last night?

Since you bought this unit in 93 and its age is unknown: does the Tx have a small gold colored sticker anywhere on it Back, bottom etc. and if it does the the Rx say dual conversion anywhere on it. There is a chance it is wideband set that would make you succeptable to all sorts of interferance and worse the Tx could knock others out of the shy on nearby channels.

The last date new wideband sets could be sold was in 91 and Vanguards sold long before the changeover and after but with a narrow band Rx. And the post 91units were identified with the gold sticker as well as all other brands sold in the US.

John
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 PM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Oscar:

I had a problem with an Airtronics Vanguard with ailerons....airtronics found a cold solder joint in the transmitter, problem solved.

However, I have had recurring total signal loss incidences which as yet are unexplained.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

Why don't you bury that thing and get a modern advanced radio like an Airtronics VG400?

Suzie
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 PM
GoNavy

"Use it up,
wear it out,
make it do or
do without"

FDR or just WWII slogan?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
GoNavy

What are the advances of a VG400 over a Vanguard, aside from a change in connectors and 7 channel receiver standard?