Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Futaba Never Ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Futaba Never Ends

Yah Yah I am sure I will get ripped for asking this question as I have read all the reports and did the research on a new radio. I had it in my head to buy the Futaba 7C 2.4 as thats all I have ever owned, futaba, but never a computerized system and have not touched a radio in 10 years. I had the DX7 as a possibility but still had futaba as my main choice in my mind. When I went into the store 3 weeks ago I was talked into (not really talked into, let me restated that they highlighted all the Spektrum advantages which I read about) it seems EVERY store is now pushing spektrum and these are the unbiased (who knows) stores as they sell both futaba and spektrum. Radio looks great, good display, functions, better batteries (or are they as you really need to replace the 4.8s), better servos (even over the futaba digitals) but I still got this feeling Futaba is a better system. In the end I went spektrum, its almost like freagan blueray and HD DVD with spektrum being blue ray and futaba being HD DVD almost ready to die (of course they wont). BUT the more I read the more it seems there are way more spektrum issues over futaba.

Too my question are these issues resolved, we all know them, the battery voltage (obviously don't run it low or buy a better one, kinda kills the battery comment above) locking etc, interference like tendencies, as I scan this board it seems it is littered with Spektrum problems and posts they are never ending but outside heat issues futaba seems to not have many. Is it that there is just more people using the spektum so there is more issues or is it people rehashing problems that are resolved and is by far a better choice. Still wonder if Futaba was the better way and I have 4 days to decide if I should exchange..

Wish it was summer and not reading about this stuff.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Futaba Never Ends

To be blunt- there are far mor e Spektrums than 2.4 Futabas.
The "problems "with Spektrum were simply a result of being the first with the technology and also -the systems were directed to the price sensitive areas of modeling
this means there were lots of low cost 2.4 setups sold (intentional ), which also covered the areas of modelling where initial users were also small electric model flyers ( coincidence.)
The result was that the 2.4 got an introduction to many new RC flyers who were also in many cases very technically unsophisticated model users.
The problems observed were very often incorrectly evaluated -especially amongst electric model flyers.
Perfectly expected results if you note that a new electric flyer and a new 2.4 user ,together , present possibilitues never ssen in glow engine models.
That most of the sorting out occured in one year - is surprising and required a lot of customer feedback and rapport.
What is not surprising is the fact that old rumors die hard .

If you factor in the "bind n Fly " products that EFlite offers - the numbers of 2.4 -specifically DSM2 - is pretty astounding.
The stores are not going to promote equipment that does not sell well - so you can't blame them for their promoting as they do.
At the present time Futaba does offer good equipment - the features are different than Spektrum/JR but if what you want is to switch to 2.4 - - and no other features associated with the 2.4 such as Bind n Fly or Model Match etc., you wil lfind that it also works well -if used correctly.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

It all comes down to what you want out of a radio system, and a manufacturer.

JR/Spektrum is the user friendly mfr. They have an ear to their customers and produce the good products based on that feedback. Not the most capable radios, but reliable, easy to use radios. When the 9303 had an issue with wire routing, they had a post up within a week detailing a user fix, or offering to fix for free if shipped back to them. They have the most pervasive 2.4Ghz offering mainly because they released over a year before Futaba did. They offer a data logger, not because you need it, but with it, you can rule out radio problems.

Futaba (Hobbico in all reality for us here in the US) is the technically superior mfr that doesn't know how to market its way out of a paper bag. Their computer radios have ALWAYS had more features than JR has throughout the entire product line. After studying their 2.4Ghz offerings, I firmly believe the FASST system is technically superior to DSM/DSM2. Problem is they don't ask their customers what they want, make poor interfaces on their radios making them harder to learn, don't accept blame when it rightfully should be accepted, and a general superiority complex where think they know what their customers want and dole it out at their leisure. Take the overheating issue of the 6014 receiver. Months go by without hearing anything, then just change the installation guidelines that EVERYONE else follows, but still the problem persists if you live in a high temp area (Phoenix for example). They don't offer a data logger for their receivers because "it isn't necessary".

Either system is a good choice. More features for Futaba, better support and ease of use for JR. Take your pick.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Much more receiver choice with the Spektrum, too. Too many people seem to overlook that.

There's much talk about which system is technically superior, but I think that's largely laymen repeating what they have heard. To my mind, each works and works well. What more can be asked? Features like Model Match get overlooked, while talk about the underlying technologies gets everyone's gums flapping. In the end, it's the equivalent of laymen talking about any highly technical thing - - much heat but little meat.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One questions that new users usually ask is can I use Futaba servos with Jr Rx's and vice versa. You can usually use any Futaba servo with any JR Rx, and any JR servo with any Futaba Rx. Futaba Male connectors have a Polarity Fin on the connector so you need to shave it off or use an adapter to plug a Futaba Male connector into a JR Rx, a Jr Servo Extension, or a Jr Switch Harness. Jr Male connectors will fit into Futaba Rx's, Futaba Servo Extensions and Futaba Switch.
Harnesses.

Feel free to choose whichever radio system you want. If you have existing servos, you can check with the Mfg if you are not sure they will work with the system you choose.

With 72Mhz, we could also buy Hitec Rx's, but with 2.4, you need to use the Rx from the same Mfg as the Tx.

Hitec and other servo Mfg's make compatible servos and wires, as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Clay Walters

Interesting that you don't consider Airtronics in the mix. Personally I believe all of them are good and its more a matter of what is supported in your area and how much support you need. Standardizing your equipment to one brand may be advantageous to you or you may prefer to dabble in all of them.

My needs are simple. I've owned Futaba, Airtronics, and JR with Airtronics seemingly offering the most bang for the buck in my estimation for what I'm doing. But if the features I want are on another brand I certainly wouldn't feel restricted.

Regards,

Clay
Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Slats!

Last questions maybe people can confirm, just yes and no is fine.

-Is Spektrum really more picky with its reviever battery even in the new dx7s. I will be using 5 digitals is this only in larger planes or all of them. Does futaba not shut down?? Yah Yah I know batteries are batteries but is this an issue more so with spektrum

-The store said you didnt need the sat reciever, the more I read I find that is highly unlikely. Can the sat reciever be moved to another main reciever without reprograming if thats the case.

-Spektrum DOES NOT have a throttle cut switch but you can program it to do the function with mixing so its a wash??

-Futaba has a set timer when you hit the throttle.

-Spectrum has more mixing capabilities (6 to 3 available I believe) and a better screen (more options, displays)

-Futaba is more expensive but I find if you add the sat reciever that is not the case.
-Spektrum offers recievers for Gas? Futaba does not for the 7C.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the survey here in RCU a couple days ago about what features I would like to see on a new 2.4 system. My repeated comment was if there was a Tx with the same features as my 9C that didn't cost a fortune I would own it. I feel like Futaba totally missed the boat on the new 7C2.4 Tx by not keeping the same features as the 9C. Ie. model memory, naming, etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
slarty

Slats,

ALL electronic systems have a minimum supply requirement. Problem is that because the Spektrum system was the first available they where prone to this issue due to the nature of its operation. An easy fix either by the modeller or (as was done) by Spektrum in their receivers.

Even conventional receivers especially PCM ones also suffer from low battery problems !

As far as I can remember the binding is done within the main receiver and not the satellite unit. Therefore you should be able to migrate the sat receiver without any issues. The more recent receivers require a sat receiver to be present otherwise it will show an error (This last bit is purely from memory so I could well be mistaken).

As to the lack of a throttle cut switch, that is historical.... the DX6 / DX7 was developed from the older JR radios which Horizon had JR modify to suit Horizons purposes. The standard JR versions typically have Throttle Cut switches.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a happy Futaba owner (4YBF and 7CAF) who went with Airtronics for 2.4Ghz. In my mind, the biggest disadvantage for Futaba FASST was paying $100 or more per additional receiver. I liked my 7C and considered the 7C 2.4Ghz FASST, but just couldn't swallow the price tag for extra receivers. Airtronics sells extra 92824 8-channel full range 2.4Ghz receivers for $79, which is about the cost of a Futaba R168DF and crystal. Moving to 2.4Ghz shouldn't have to cost more than 72Mhz.

Spektrum transmitters all have small quirks that were detractions for me. I think the DX7 is a nice transmitter, but I don't like the trainer switch placement and the lack of a standard throttle kill function. These are small things, but when all of the products are very good it's the small things that matter. The DX6i is a nice radio too, but I didn't like the lack of a standard 8 cell transmitter pack or the weird incompatibility with standard buddy boxes. If you train students regularly, neither of these transmitters are particularly convenient with regard to buddy box functionality.

I really like the JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio system and the Futaba 10C, but $600 for a transmitter is really an unnecessary luxury for the average sport pilot.

Airtronics has been getting beat up because they've been lacking a micro receiver for indoor foamies. I've been happy with my 7C and my GWS receivers on my indoor stuff, I wanted 2.4Ghz connectivity for my big outdoor glow stuff. Now that the whole world has bought Spektrum radios for indoor flying, I'm often the only pilot on 72Mhz at indoor flying events anyway.

Airtronics is going to be shipping new budget 6-channel and 7-channel 2.4Ghz receivers during the first half of 2009 that should round out their product line nicely. They're also adding the new SD-10G radio (and presumably a 10-channel receiver) that will provide all of the features advanced pilots will want like fully assignable switches, triple rates, etc.

At the end of the day, however, I'd be happy to fly any of these radios. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but all will do the job required. My priorities were different than most of my flying buddies, and I chose a different radio because it best fit what I was looking for. My friends who are flying Futaba FASST or Spektrum/JR DSM2 bought what worked for them and they are happy as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Slats!

-The store said you didnt need the sat reciever, the more I read I find that is highly unlikely. Can the sat reciever be moved to another main reciever without reprograming if thats the case.
-Futaba is more expensive but I find if you add the sat reciever that is not the case.
You seem a bit confused about the satellite receivers. Here's a general rule of thumb that will help you greatly: If the receiver comes with a satellite, you must use the satellite. If it does not come with a satellite, you do not need a satellite. Simple, eh? Is your hobby shop trying to sell you a 6200 or 7000 without a satellite? They shouldn't be. It sounds as if they have given you some very questionable information.

-Spektrum offers recievers for Gas? Futaba does not for the 7C.
Receivers don't care what kind of fuel you're using or not using. There aren't special receivers for glow, gasoline, electric, or gliders. What does matter is that you pick a receiver that is appropriate to the distances you'll be flying at. There are park-flyer receivers for planes that shouldn't get too far away and full-range receivers for "normal" flying.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Slats!

Thats what I was told thought it was kinda BS
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
carrellh

In case you did not know, you can download the manuals for all of the "major" players: Airtronics, Futaba, JR, Spektrum
Airtronics RDS8000 http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_RDS8000.asp link is under the picture of the transmitter
Futaba 7C http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html link is near the bottom of the page.
JR 9303 (much more expensive than the 7 & 8 channel units offered by the others) http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Sup...ProdID=JRP2910 link is near the top
Spektrum DX7 http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/S...ProdID=SPM2710 link is near middle of the screen

These links will also allow you to get to the glossy 'marketing hype' pages for each unit. Between the manuals and marketing pages you can get a pretty good idea of what each unit does and see some of the steps you have to go through to set up various functions. This should let you know if there are any that do not have features that you want.

After you have a short list, or a long list, see if you can find a local hobby shop that stocks all of the candidates so you can hold them and compare them side by side. If you use a neck strap or transmitter tray, take it with you and use it while doing the comparison. You might find that one brand has horrible "feel" to you even though it is the favorite of someone else.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
GhostRider32

I don't own the Airtonics 8 channel 2.4 but I've read a lot of good things about it. Can't beat the price either. The Airtronics has 8 channels and comes with 2 full range receivers for a good bit cheaper than the Futaba or Spektrum. The only down side that I've heard about the Airtronics is that it has dual rates on everything but the rudder but you can supposedly use a mix to get dual rates on the rudder. All of the radios you mentioned are decent radios and each one has it's pros and cons so read up and make an informed choice.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751710.asp
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own and fly a JR 9303 2.4 and a Futaba 7C 2.4 and they both work very well.
I did have a problem with the 9303 in which it lost it bind and would not rebind
but Horizon replaced the 921 receiver and it's working perfectly now. They both
are superb radios that you should be very happy with. My only gripe with the
Futaba 7C is it only comes with a 600 mah transmitter battery which I replaced
with a 1500 mah. I don't think you should have to buy a better battery on a brand
new radio.

tommy s

PS: I use all JR digital servos with both radios
Old 12-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Slats!

Its little things like the battery, better screen, marginally better servos, and 6 mix vs 3 that sway me to the spectrum. For just a few bucks Futaba could come over the top but they cant get their head out of their ***** and add some little things to bring them there. Like I said I own futaba but its the little things that are causing me to consider switching to JR/Spectrum. What can you do.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
AJsToyz

Slats,

I had a 7CAP , have a 7C and now a DX7 , and like them all. I like the programming flexability of the Futaba , switch assigning, snap roll, and switch assigned throttle kill. DX7 I like the Model match, programable fail safe, and the larger Transmitter battery. You really want to talk about turds , Dell laptops !! I've been typing this little post for 10 mintutes ! The worst key pad on the market !

Andy
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
GhostRider32

But just think, they're always so eager to answer the customer service phones in India........ That might actually mean something to the 4 people in the US who speak Indian..... Screw the rest who speak English though..... That's why I'll never buy another dell. My next one will probably be a Gateway, al least they claim that their cust. service is 100% US based......
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

But just think, they're always so eager to answer the customer service phones in India........ That might actually mean something to the 4 people in the US who speak Indian..... Screw the rest who speak English though..... That's why I'll never buy another dell. My next one will probably be a Gateway, al least they claim that their cust. service is 100% US based......
This is way off topic, but I 100% agree. I had always bought Dell. About a year and a half ago I bought another Dell. Sales people are US to fool you, then when service is needed or questions need answering, you'd best understand the New Delhi dialect. To me Dell is nothing more than any other average overseas computer maker.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
TedMo

Oddly,to me at least, in none of this have I seen model match mentioned and to me that is one of the best features of the Jr Spectrum. No longer ANY possibility of trying to fly the wrong model with what's set in tx. Bind it then forget it.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: vicman

I took the survey here in RCU a couple days ago about what features I would like to see on a new 2.4 system. My repeated comment was if there was a Tx with the same features as my 9C that didn't cost a fortune I would own it. I feel like Futaba totally missed the boat on the new 7C2.4 Tx by not keeping the same features as the 9C. Ie. model memory, naming, etc.
That's how pricing works.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
cvause

My opinion, for what it's worth. I will start by saying I'm a hard core Futaba fan, but I think they may have blown this one.

I have a 9Z and I wanted to do three things. 1. Move to 2.4 2. Keep 9Z quality programming and features 3. Not spend a total fortune.

I thought I was out of luck until I found Spektrum is selling the Futaba modules with receivers for almost nothing. The DM8 module with the AR7000 receiver is $109 and the DM9 with the AR9000 receiver is $179. This beats the FASST module and receiver pricing by at least $200.

I now have the Spektrum module in my 9Z and it cost me $109 for module and rx. The Spektrum receiver pricing and options are better than Futaba. I now can switch between 2.4 and 72 in about two minutes and I keep my 9Z programming and conditions. Ahh, conditions. This was the better option for me over paying for the Futaba module or buying a 10C (and losing features) or breaking my budget and buying a 12FG/Z.

I have been recommending this route for my friends who have 9Cs and want to start the move to 2.4.

It's an easy win for Spektrum, but that's just my two cents.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
JoeBagOfDonuts

I don't like the spektrum antenna wiring solution. I prefer the antenna directly attached to the module. I think it is a more rugged solution. JR/Spektrum still has the best selection of receivers so far. You'd think Futaba would get off their ***** and make some more options. That stupid R616FFM is a joke with non-standard plugs. they do have the new R6004FF for park flyers. I just ordered a couple of them. I'll let you all know how well they work.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
pilotpete2

Here's what some are using to replace the Spektrum antenna.
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=145
Same gain as stock Spektrum antenna, range test is equal or better than stock.
Pete